2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

BillyP

Audi are absolute scum, they could do the right thing but only do in a few cases when cornered. I’m about £3k down so far. Causing me so much extra stress being carless and knowing I’ve got a huge bill. So tempted to drive the thing through a showroom

Boldyin77

Following on from my experience with Audi regarding the fix

I got no courtesy car due to covid 19 but they tried to give me 1 from enterprise at a cost of **** knows 20 odd quid a day. I work in a bodyshop and got 1 from my boss for free

I got a call Thursday our technician found a leak in your coolant and you need a new water pump at a cost of £168, I haven't topped my coolant up for 6 month after a fix i had done, hmm really.

I appreciate getting the fix done for free and they were determined to get something out of me granted but surely a leak in my pump id have noticed

Pick my car up Tuesday when I can pay for the water pump

Did anyone get a water pump fitted free? I'm thinking this was just a recommended replacement to guarantee their fix was 100%

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Boldyin77

Hi all,

I picked up car today all I got told was piston ring conrod repair, no break down of what was carried out

My service advisor said new spark plugs and filter on the major service, they couldn't even top my brake fluid up or quote me a price to do it. I now have a service light that won't go out until this is drained and refilled

All I got was my invoice for water pump so I know nothing about the repair and was told because the repair was free she didn't think there was a warranty on their repair

I was led to my car and luckily before I left I did a walk round of my vehicle only to find a badly damaged door which now looks like will have to be booked back in, tried to pull a fly one
eba43405c8fec0fa7a061c36de1ca8d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Audi AB

Hi all. Some advice from this forum would be really useful. Got a 62plate 2012 A4 1.8tfsi with approx 82,500 on the clock full Audi service history with 2 recalls noted in the service history, 1st at 3717 miles and a code of 17E4 and 2nd at 8971 with code of 48K8 does anyone know what these may refer to?
Also had oil pressure warning light problems, only at idle while at traffic lights. Had a decent indie guy do a fair bit of work looking for the fault, as oil pressure is under 10psi at idle.
So replaced water pump as it seemed the cam shaft adjusters where not operating correctly, didn't help, then a new oil pump again didn't work, so then put a new camshaft carrier and camshaft plus timing gear and seals.
This worked and no oil pressure problems.
Until 6weeks ago when the same oil pressure issue has started.
During Covid lockdown the car was only being used really short journeys to the supermarket probably not up to temp.
Reading this thread I'm wondering about a blocked oil pick up filter, due to short journeys, any thoughts anyone?

Second to contact Audi with the oil consumption issue, do you just call local Audi garage and get the thoughts?

Thanks for any help, thoughts, advice
Cheers
Andy

S3 Rav

Good morning all.

Just thought I'd give my experiences with regards to the oil consumption issue. I recently purchased an a3 1.8tfsi which immediately started burning through oil.

I contacted audi which recommended completing the oil consumption test. They found an oil leak which needed sorting first.

The car failed the initial oil consumption test within 120miles! When it came to writing a case I was challenged with the usual "not full audi service history" (but does have fsh). I pushed back and highlighted that out of the 9 stamps 4 were audi and the final 2 were intact at a seat dealership!

Fast forward 5 weeks and I received the call that audi have agreed to pay 90% with the customer (me!) To pay 10%. I thought this was fair enough for a car with 116k miles.

Car is booked in for the week beginning 5th october at bromley audi.

I found that if you appear to know what you're talking about (I'm not a mechanic but had read numerous threads about the issue) they seem to take you a little more serious.

I'm also an NHS key worker which I think given the current climate also helped!

Hope that helps anyone.

Rav.

BillyP

Beyond lucky basterd, my car had 100k on and Audi said it was at the 100k mileage mark plus the fact that someone had remapped the car somewhere in its past, nothing known by me and it’s tough luck. £4K later and the garage that fixed it basically didn’t, so I’m £4K down with the same oil useage and trying to sue the garage when I can afford to.

All this because of what should have been a recall. Audi you are scum. PCV replaced too

lgooch

VCDS Map User
Good morning all.

Just thought I'd give my experiences with regards to the oil consumption issue. I recently purchased an a3 1.8tfsi which immediately started burning through oil.

I contacted audi which recommended completing the oil consumption test. They found an oil leak which needed sorting first.

The car failed the initial oil consumption test within 120miles! When it came to writing a case I was challenged with the usual "not full audi service history" (but does have fsh). I pushed back and highlighted that out of the 9 stamps 4 were audi and the final 2 were intact at a seat dealership!

Fast forward 5 weeks and I received the call that audi have agreed to pay 90% with the customer (me!) To pay 10%. I thought this was fair enough for a car with 116k miles.

Car is booked in for the week beginning 5th october at bromley audi.

I found that if you appear to know what you're talking about (I'm not a mechanic but had read numerous threads about the issue) they seem to take you a little more serious.

I'm also an NHS key worker which I think given the current climate also helped!

Hope that helps anyone.

Rav.
That I must say is a cracking result !

Most have been lumbered with 100% of the cost.

MTM1401

I'm in the process of purchasing of 2011 1.8 A4 with 53k miles on the clock. There is no evidence of the issue currently (exhaust tips look ok and no smoke) and the previous owner hasn't had an issue with oil. Just wanted to make sure my back was covered further down the line as it's claimed to have a full service history, but unsure on how to interpret the service history certificate provided.

Is the service history I've attached similar to those who have had repairs done with goodwill?

There were 2019 and 2020 service as well which were done after the attached certificate, neither of which have raised any issues.

Thanks in advance

upload_2020-10-20_9-36-13.png

Last edited:

Sayek

Hello all
After owning a BMW 320i NA 2L engine 5 years it was stolen 2 week ago so needed a replacement. I have done some homework before I bought a 2009 2.0 TFSI 211.
I am aware of the oil consumption and the timing change tensioner. BMW and Merc 2L petrol also have the chain tension issue so no hiding unless i went for Toyota or Honda.

I understand there was 3 stages of oil consumption repair. I have bought this car because there is a folder of Audi receipts that made me part my money.

Looking at the invoice i found
Stage 1 Nov 2016 58k. Audi asked owner to drive car 620 mile. Looks like the skipped changing the PCV and went to stage 2.

Stage 2. Nov 2016.. Audi warranty invoice showing 4x piston, 1 conrod, 4x injectors and many more. The 2nd page of this invoice is £3.4k

Stage 3..Dec 2016. Audi warranty invoice shows Engine replaced. Part £4.7k and labour £2k.

I wanted to know from your knowledge if a engine was fitted by Audi under warranty would it have the later engine that does not trouble with oil and timing or do I have to deal with that when the mileage has increased. Engine was replaced at 58k and current mile is 87k.
The car drives so nice, so quite and just a little turbo whoosh when i put foot down

Appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• Stage 1.jpg
    Stage 1.jpg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Stage 2.jpg
    Stage 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
  • Stage 3.jpg
    Stage 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 119
  • Injectors.jpg
    Injectors.jpg
    873.4 KB · Views: 120

Stickystuff

Im looking at buying a 2012 B8.5 facelift.
Do you know if this issue has been resolved or is it still something going on?
The one in question is reasonably high miles around 120k.

Spike107

Should be fine with 2012 onwards...i had a 2011 B8 2.0 Dynamik which had the issues... Stay well clear from 2009/2011 engines unless your certain the chocolate pistons /conrods have been replaced

JamesRyder

Should be fine with 2012 onwards...i had a 2011 B8 2.0 Dynamik which had the issues... Stay well clear from 2009/2011 engines unless your certain the chocolate pistons /conrods have been replaced
I have a Dynamik, currently on 47K. Do you know when the oil consumption issue became apparent, or was it an issue when you bought it?

Nitro_CR

I have a Dynamik, currently on 47K. Do you know when the oil consumption issue became apparent, or was it an issue when you bought it?
It's completely a when not if mate. Could happen anytime, I'd be surprised if a car without the fix has made it 10-11 years without the problem presenting itself regardless of the mileage it's currently on.

If you're not sure if your car has had the fix I'd phone up Audi and ask for a report on the service history?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

JamesRyder

It's completely a when not if mate. Could happen anytime, I'd be surprised if a car without the fix has made it 10-11 years without the problem presenting itself regardless of the mileage it's currently on.

If you're not sure if your car has had the fix I'd phone up Audi and ask for a report on the service history?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I can't remember if I called Audi about my current car, or another Dynamik that I nearly bought, but Audi told me that whichever car I enquired about hadn't had any work done with respect to this issue. It doesn't appear to be using an excessive amount of oil right now but I'll give them a call and double-check for peace of mind. I appreciate the advice, thanks!

Sayek

I have 2009 Dynamic 211bhp version. Its had new engine fitted by Audi at 58k miles about 4 years ago. I have come across forum problem starts around 50k to 60K. My engine used 1L per 2000 miles since the i did a oil service.

I have a work collegue recently had the piton ring issues repaired free. Although her car is 2010 model, she did buy the car brand new and full Audi service history.

Spike107

I bought the car from an independent garage who said the fix had been applied when it hadn't. Luckily it had full Audi service history so they cover the 5k costs. As others have stated, you will know if you have the issue. I was topping up the oil as often as fuel before the fix.... Perhaps 1ltr every 600 miles.

quattrogone

Quattro Back!
Mine's now on 91k and had the issue rectified way back around 50k, I check the oil level fairly regular and it hasn't budged so far in my ownership....there again if the engine decides to go bang bang at some point I'll have to either drop a b8.5 version in or go all out and turn it into an S4 :whistle2: