2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

Tfsi gone

Reaction score
It is known that the petrol 180/211bhp A4/5/Q5 can use very excessive amounts of oil (but apparently excessive is above 0.5 litres per 1000 km as per handbook, or 621 miles by my previous consumption test). Now is the time to get this known problem sorted! Eventually the excessive oil consumption will foul the spark plugs leading to misfires, normally misfiring on cylinder 2. If you are experiencing this heavy oil burning either carry on as if you own an oil field or get it fixed now....

There have been numerous advertised fixes but it will only be cured by the figment of new piston rings. Forget a PCV and software update, the car needs 20 hours Audi labour to rebuild the engine. An easy way to diagnose apart from marrying an oil sheiks daughter is to check ur exhaust tips. If their black and you remember it's not a TDI you know it's a problem!

Audi are slowly admitting by ways of their 'Goodwill' contribution and paying the lot. Normally it's around £5-6k for the rebuild, however you may need full service history.

Also Audi US North America lost a law suit against this problem!

Please feel free to reply if you own any of these great engines exhibiting this oil consumption dilemma! Once fixed IT is a fantastic high performance engine!!! There's plenty of us who have had and are going through this repair. Just look at crazy fools previous thread on the B8 A4 platform. This will be a watchdog/quiet recall very soon...... And will not be going away!

Audi do review these threads! If you have the above problem, please comment and let's get the Audi springs recoiling further.....

Last edited:
Reactions: CountryGent, Big ali and NL316
Mine has just been fixed by Vindis Audi Huntingdon. Car had 98K on the clock, Revo stage 1 re-map and full service history. I am very happy :) with the outcome, originally they were only going to pay 50% but I had a call when the work was being done to say they will pay for the work in full!

Mine is a 2009, developed a thirst for oil at exactly 60k miles. Paid 300 for software and PCV upgrade, drove 625 miles and Audi agreed it was damaged. Despite having no warranty and being out if the five year goodwill window, Audi kindly agreed to pay 100% of the bill, around £5800. Car us with them just now.

Cannot fault Audi, no complaints from me whatsoever.

"Cannot fault Audi, no complaints from me whatsoever." Now for me that is a strange comment, any company that places their product in the market place without carrying out adequate reliability testing is not really conforming with their buying public expectations, remember Audi places their product near the top of motoring excellence - that behaviour is almost tolerable for a company filling in the lower levels, like Ford and VX. Another thing, this tends just to be the tip of VAG's current contribution to motoring disasters, the smaller 1.2 and 1.4 TSI engines are currently going through a really "bad" time, and that bad experience remember hits the owners a lot worse than it does VAG. This (smaller 1.2 and 1.4 TSI engines) issues affects me a lot as one of these engines will be fitted into my wife's next car - the purchase of which I can't keep putting off for ever, VAG really do need to waken up, selling potentially duff products to the public then "being really helpful" just does not work with me. Without the "hold" or power than VCDS supplies me with, I'd have been out and bought my wife a small Ford or ?? to replace her current VAG product, which while having an old and basic (1.4 BBY) engine does what VAG said it would do and has done for over 12 years!
Engines tend to be quite an important part of a car, along with gearboxes - just in case someone out there working for VAG has still to understand!

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Ours is just about to go on for the stage 2 check... At around 600 miles.

Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well and they sort out any found problems with the correct process. Oil consumption has been higher in 1000 miles than my A5 TDi at 16000 miles (why do they always need a top up just before a service!)

Rum4mo-

Fair point mate - I was actually referring to audis attitude during this process, not their approach to designing, testing and manufacturing of their product. That is an altogether different matter.

To clarify, I am happy with how they dealt with my car and their approach to fix it as quick as possible with no cost to me. Would I buy another Audi? Unlikely.

Mines only using .2ltr every 621 miles and I still think this is unacceptable in a modern day car....the sevice guy at Tamworth Audi told me its supposed to use oil.....I just sat there and nodded saying really they live in a completely different world and now I have to stick with the dealer for servicing and the likes for this 'Good will' jesture should the problem get any worse costing me money when I like to service my car myself.

I cannot believe that Audi UK are not doing a recall as most people are having it covered under good will and the lawsuit in America....I have put a compliant into BBCs watchdog in the hope I am one more person that has mentioned it and something gets done.

My 54 plate 1.8t A4 never used a drop and how can cars 7 years newer go back in time and use it like its petrol?

Reactions: audiwaterpump
It wont be long and things will happen in the UK regarding this oil consumption!

I contacted Audi customer services after the car first went into the dealer and to be fair they have been ok. The oil consumption test has to be carried out for sure and then full Audi history should sort out all of the goodwill!

I'm picking up my car in a few days after its engine rebuild. Hopefully it will be a pleasure to drive again without the expense of oil!

Just glad Audi are covering the £5500 repair build and also having new exhaust tips to replaced the blackened destroyed ones!

how have you all been taking this to Audi? have you just asked to book it in or have you been discussing it w/ them and it's been suggested that the oil check is the next step, etc?

Personally I noticed the high consumption and booked it in for the first part of the test, I was expecting this to be chargeable based on what I had previously read but I have not yet been charged anything and believe I won't be either...

I had to pay 60 pounds twice for the privilege of Audi conforming what I already knew, being that my car burnt 1 litre of oil every 624 miles!!! Still car is sorted and Audi paid for all the work so happy!

It wont be long and things will happen in the UK regarding this oil consumption!

I contacted Audi customer services after the car first went into the dealer and to be fair they have been ok. The oil consumption test has to be carried out for sure and then full Audi history should sort out all of the goodwill!

I'm picking up my car in a few days after its engine rebuild. Hopefully it will be a pleasure to drive again without the expense of oil!

Just glad Audi are covering the £5500 repair build and also having new exhaust tips to replaced the blackened destroyed ones!

I just removed my old ones and gave them a good polish on my polisher, trust me they looked like they had just come off a diesel!!!!
Exhaust

wolfie138 - If you or anyone reading this notices any high oil consumption on the MMI then book it into Audi asap! It will only get worse...

ianv5 - Audi also charged me £60 and had to pay twice! One for the oil consumption test and one for the misfire on cylinder 2 that I know was being caused by the oil passing through the piston rings onto the spark plugs!

My twin exhaust tips were past cleaning! The bore probably needed chiselling to remove the carbon and the outside stained brown/black, however new ones should set the car off. I had seen older TDI's with far cleaner exhaust tips!

think i'll have to. i'm a bit worried as i'm past the 3years (Nov, typical!) but i'm fully Audi serviced, and i still have emails from dealer and Audi saying up to a litre 750miles is usual. a few others seem to have had it all paid for out of warranty, but this is chewing me a bit cos i'm not made of money if they decide they don't want to play ball w/ me! car's only got 28k on her though, i think my low miles is why i'm not noticing it as much as others. did you mention it's in connection w/ the whole TFSI issue etc, or just ask them to check it out?

think i'll have to. i'm a bit worried as i'm past the 3years (Nov, typical!) but i'm fully Audi serviced, and i still have emails from dealer and Audi saying up to a litre 750miles is usual. a few others seem to have had it all paid for out of warranty, but this is chewing me a bit cos i'm not made of money if they decide they don't want to play ball w/ me! car's only got 28k on her though, i think my low miles is why i'm not noticing it as much as others. did you mention it's in connection w/ the whole TFSI issue etc, or just ask them to check it out?
You should be fine. I got mine a 2010 avant from a non franchised dealer with 90k on the clock. Had it remapped and took it to an audi dealer that had not serviced it. They could see it had previous service history from a different audi dealership and carried out repairs in full. I just paid for the oil consumption tests.

Reactions: wolfie138
Don't worry about the 3 yr/60,000 mile Audi warranty point! I purchased my vehicle and actually only drove 1600 miles last year as confirmed by its first MOT. I noticed my oil level was disappearing faster than any other car I'd ever owned including my previous 3 Audi's.

Mine was just outside the above warranty on both points but it had full & current Audi main dealer service history. As yours is only @ 28k and has full Audi service history it depends on the oil consumption test result...

If the MMI is showing the oil disappearing quickly then book it in for the consumption test. The max to min amount is 1 litre and as I found seemed to be very accurate. After my consumption test there was a single bar left on the MMI and Audi confirmed I had used 0.9 litres for the recorded 621 miles I travelled.

As for the oil consumption test, Audi drain all the engine oil and then refill back upto to the 4.6 litre maximum mark before tagging the oil filler cap. If the oil light illuminates then the test ends at that point or if after completing the 1000km/621 miles it has used more than 0.5 litres (confirmed by draining the oil and measuring) then it will require the expensive piston and rings rebuild.

I personally contacted Audi customer services in addition to the Audi dealer and was assigned a case manager whilst during my test. This certainly helped in the dealer and Audi customer services negotiating & sorting the free goodwill I recieved. Persurveriance and evidence is the key...

There is a dedicated case manager at Audi customer services for this problem and I can supply their name and ext. via a pm!

Reactions: Kevin Finlayson and wolfie138
You should be fine. I got mine a 2010 avant from a non franchised dealer with 90k on the clock. Had it remapped and took it to an audi dealer that had not serviced it. They could see it had previous service history from a different audi dealership and carried out repairs in full. I just paid for the oil consumption tests.

Did the dealer know it had been mapped? Ours isn't mapped but it's on the list, waiting till this is resolved first though

Don't worry about the 3 yr/60,000 mile Audi warranty point! I purchased my vehicle and actually only drove 1600 miles last year as confirmed by its first MOT. I noticed my oil level was disappearing faster than any other car I'd ever owned including my previous 3 Audi's.

Mine was just outside the above warranty on both points but it had full & current Audi main dealer service history. As yours is only @ 28k and has full Audi service history it depends on the oil consumption test result...

If the MMI is showing the oil disappearing quickly then book it in for the consumption test. The max to min amount is 1 litre and as I found seemed to be very accurate. After my consumption test there was a single bar left on the MMI and Audi confirmed I had used 0.9 litres for the recorded 621 miles I travelled.

As for the oil consumption test, Audi drain all the engine oil and then refill back upto to the 4.6 litre maximum mark before tagging the oil filler cap. If the oil light illuminates then the test ends at that point or if after completing the 1000km/621 miles it has used more than 0.5 litres (confirmed by draining the oil and measuring) then it will require the expensive piston and rings rebuild.

I personally contacted Audi customer services in addition to the Audi dealer and was assigned a case manager whilst during my test. This certainly helped in the dealer and Audi customer services negotiating & sorting the free goodwill I recieved. Persurveriance and evidence is the key...

There is a dedicated case manager at Audi customer services for this problem and I can supply their name and ext. via a pm!

Very interesting info, I hadn't considered getting Audi CS involved unless the dealer didn't play ball.

Hope you don't mind me asking, what did they offer you as goodwill? The least I am expecting is a lfl courtesy car for the duration of the work.

The service advisor at the Audi dealer my vehicle is currently with; mentioned (will mention the Audi dealer name after car has been fixed) that if I contacted Audi CS it could affect any dealer goodwill so I contacted them straight away!!!

Only goodwill I have had at the moment is the repair! No courtesy vehicles were available and still aren't! Think that's also helped my case. My wife's been pulling her hair out driving me back and forth in her Audi A3.

Apparently it would have cost £10 a day insurance for the courtesy vehicle....?

Did the dealer know it had been mapped? Ours isn't mapped but it's on the list, waiting till this is resolved first though
Yes they knew as soon as I told them and they update the software when doing the test. I had an A5 64 plate courtesy car, for a week, cost me £12.

I will be complaining about the courtesy car scenario. My car has been in ****** Audi for over two weeks from the start of the test to now being repaired and no courtesy cars. I'm lucky I can walk to work...

I'm pondering whether these will be the last Audi's my family will ever own!

Last edited:
Last thoughts tonight!!

Why should this thread exist from what I thought was the best German manufacturer of quality cars! I'v wasted many hours and stressed over what should have been, but is a great vehicle! It's a very expensive one is the answer and quality should ride with it!! Where will this end? The VAG TSI 1.2 & 1.4 engines are now suffering too.....!

Maybe supercharged TDI's are the way forward? I only got rid of mine due to its DPF!!!! Would have been cheaper to remove it that than rebuilding an engine coz it can't cope with a blast around a city centre.

Can't beat a petrol's red line against the diesel however is it time to go back to black?

On a reminiscing note I Miss my Renault 19 16v from late 90's. At least with that you knew when you used the oil and it was pretty quick. That's another story tho.. Night ;) vroom

Last edited:
thanks guys, i'll get her booked in. i am getting stressed about this, it's really frustrating.

Mine been in a week now. They also found a wheel bearing on its way out and guess what? Theyve fixed that for free as a goodwill gesture too!

I've had an A3 on loan - no cost to me either!

Get it booked in asap - Audi are well aware of the issue now and will go through the motions with you.

got her booked in, though w/ my current situations it'll probably take 5 weeks or so to hit the 600 mile mark. Guy was non-committal about what (if anything) they'd pay for, given she's out of warranty, but at this point i'd probably expect nothing less, given we haven't even started the test. hopefully from the stories here i'll be okay.

i'm wondering: if this issue is making my exhaust tips look like a coal chimney, what's it doing to my turbo?

My tips look like a log burner chimney, even after driving 50 miles after auto solling them.

Mine passed the consumption test and used 0.14mls over 623 miles. They said that there was nothing wrong with it and just gave me the keys back.

They maxed the oil for me but funnily enough around 1000 miles later the dipstick is looking suspiciously low again. There has to be an issue with mine and it is a real worry but I don't know what to do.

Car is a 1.8t a3 59 plate with 30k on it. Full Audi history and used approved warranty runs out in May this year.

It's all paid for or will be at the end of the month and thinking of just chopping it in and getting rid, problem is what do I get. If I keep it, it just feels like I am driving around in a ticking time bomb.

0.1l does sound well w/in the limits, if you now have a record of them topping the oil up and it's very low i'd take it back asap and show them and point out the black exhausts.
my tips are black, thing that bugs me is she's had umpteen "health checks" whenever i've taken her in, and she was MOT'd in Nov, so they should have had sensors in there for emissions, i'd have thought very blackened tips would have been something a "health check" should have queried? a normal petrol 2.0TFSI presumably will show some colouring but i'd expect Audi techs to know what an acceptable level is.

Looks like I'm in the club- 61k km and I'm losing 1litre every 500km- I'm based in Dublin where there were very few 2.0T's sold, so hopefully this thread will help me get it sorted

Reactions: ianv5
Ok so having been booked in this morning..

Car had travelled 550 miles, when booking was told this was ok. On arrival told it's not unless car has asked for more oil.... So I'm now in the middle of a 70 mile round trip to add on the required miles..

Warranty Manager has informed me that unless the car has asked for more oil it will not require the work which I am not happy about, however as per others comments the MMI oil reading is a load of crap...

This is what it showed on Sunday

View attachment 50388

This is what it shows now!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423658150612253

I've not put any oil in.... It's actually gone up since I left home this morning. Will see what they say when I get back

Reactions: Kevin Finlayson
So was this at 550 miles, if so your car according to Audi will pass the test.
Mine showed this level at 250 miles.

So was this at 550 miles, if so your car according to Audi will pass the test.
Mine showed this level at 250 miles.

Stupidly the above is after 580 miles, this is what it showed at 550 miles

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423658955038858

If I'm honest I'll be annoyed if it passes the test, for any manufacturer to expect a car with a 20k service interval to require upwards of 15 refills of oil is unacceptable

I've been doing 40k pa plus in diesels (nicknamed oil burners!) and only ever had to top up once or twice between services.

The cost and inconvenience of this is one thing but surely a car that hasn't had the warranty work completed is likely to have a several reduced resale value

I also want to modify and I don't want that to become a reason for a future claim to be rejected.

Is it likely consumption could become worse with mileage? Car is 4 years old but only covered 18k

Interesting, just looking at an '09 plate 2.0Tfsi with 113 000 plus miles but for sale for £7,250. Not too worried about miles as I only do 4000 to 5000 and it looked a tidy car. Thought I would have a look on the B8 forum and this has put me well off!
Only just recovered from replacing my balance shaft/hexagon key oil pump drive potential problem on my 2.0tdi B7!!

Interesting, just looking at an '09 plate 2.0Tfsi with 113 000 plus miles but for sale for £7,250. Not too worried about miles as I only do 4000 to 5000 and it looked a tidy car. Thought I would have a look on the B8 forum and this has put me well off!
Only just recovered from replacing my balance shaft/hexagon key oil pump drive potential problem on my 2.0tdi B7!!

Why be put off if the work has be done?

I bought mine with 90k on the clock unaware of the oil consumption issue and have just had the work done at 98k with no cost other than initial oil consumption tests.

ianv5 ,not sure if the work has been done. Gonna contact the guy selling to see if its got the service history. Just don't fancy arguing with Audi to get the work done!!

ianv5 ,not sure if the work has been done. Gonna contact the guy selling to see if its got the service history. Just don't fancy arguing with Audi to get the work done!!

Well worth checking because if the work has been done it is a great engine. A local Audi dealer may also be able to look into it for you if you ask nicely!

Stupidly the above is after 580 miles, this is what it showed at 550 miles

View attachment 50391

If I'm honest I'll be annoyed if it passes the test, for any manufacturer to expect a car with a 20k service interval to require upwards of 15 refills of oil is unacceptable

I've been doing 40k pa plus in diesels (nicknamed oil burners!) and only ever had to top up once or twice between services.

The cost and inconvenience of this is one thing but surely a car that hasn't had the warranty work completed is likely to have a several reduced resale value

I also want to modify and I don't want that to become a reason for a future claim to be rejected.

Is it likely consumption could become worse with mileage? Car is 4 years old but only covered 18k

Well now sat using their wifi while the do the check... They have copies of the photos as the levels have gone up from Sunday and then at 580 miles and up again at 620 miles! The Service Advisor suggested it might be a faulty bonnet catch lol!

hang on...so you only get the work IF warning pings up on your display? That's not the inference i got from all the previous posts.