2.0 Tfsi fuel consumption

france71

Reaction score
So after a few test runs of my Allroad 2.0tfsi I have some real life fuel figures. I did a 70km run in both directions - this includes some city, some urban and about 75% country decent roads driving. The fuel figures have come out at 7.9km/100km or 35.76mpg ( UK gallons).

Although fuel figures are not that important for me as I only do 12,000km/year about 7,500 miles it is interesting to see what it can do. More important for me is how far I can go on 1 tank of fuel.

Reactions: blackb9er
I'm averaging around 33mpg over the past 4500 miles according to the long term trip computer. I get just under 40mpg on a decent motorway run. I just leave mine in eco mode all the time, would hate to think what the figures would look like in dynamic mode.

Reactions: france71
I've done about 500 miles so far only in the city rush hour commute with no motorway excursions at 26mpg. It's virtually in efficiency mode all the time. Just added a roof rack but I don't think it makes any difference at slow speeds like city driving.
I've set the display to show real time consumption and set myself a challenge to get best mpg values on the way to work and back. Best so far was 32 mpg. Interesting to see how driving style can effect mpg. It's a good way to learn smoother more efficient driving.

33-35mpg average urban but can hit 44mpg if I try hard enough, 47mpg on a mix of 'A' roads and motorways without trying...

Not as much margin between the 2.0 and the S4 as I would have expected - averaging 29mpg after 4800 miles, easily reach 35-8 on a long run in eco with limiter set at 80 in the S4.

Could also be driving styles of course, that must have a huge impact on figures.

Not as much margin between the 2.0 and the S4 as I would have expected - averaging 29mpg after 4800 miles, easily reach 35-8 on a long run in eco with limiter set at 80 in the S4.
Yeah right:
20171019 102948 1600x1200

Reactions: Kakatk and Alexander Thomson
My Tfsi 2.0 Quattro has averaged 33mpg over 18 months of ownership. A mix of mostly short commutes and longer (200 miles ) motorway runs.

Important to distinguish between the 190 and 252 hp engines. Mine is the former and the long term consumption according to the DIS over 11000 miles is 39 mpg. Cuke2u is also a 190 hp man and mine will also return 44 mpg at a steady 80 mpg motorway cruise.

A big consumption killer is acceleration so if your daily commute is mainly start stop city traffic in rush hour then you will struggle to get more than 20mpg. If you get a decent run at steady speed even if it is slow then the mpg will be a lot higher.

I have a heavy foot so am fine with 26.6, I did take my 2 year old out before for a sleep and managed 42mpg easily.

Could also be driving styles of course, that must have a huge impact on figures.

I get 18-20mpg average in my B9 S4 Avant. No motorway driving.

A full throttle launch probably costs 50pence.

If you don’t drive on a motorway it absolutely drinks fuel. Amazing power and sound though, glorious engine.

My B8 3.0 TDI Avant uses around 30% less fuel than my B9 S4 Avant.

Reactions: Alexander Thomson
I have a 190 Avant Sline 2.0tfsi, coming from a 2.0l TDi I never expected amazing fuel economy but I’ve got to say I’m slightly disappointed in the 27mpg so far (1100 miles).

The mitigating factor is it’s almost all urban driving but at those figures I’m left feeling like I should have stumped up a few more pennies and got the S4. As it was I thought the 190 was on paper at least a decent compromise between power and economy... I don’t really think it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forced induction petrol engines will use more fuel if driven in a certain manner and real world mpg will be a subjective thing...

I have a 190 Avant Sline 2.0tfsi, coming from a 2.0l TDi I never expected amazing fuel economy but I’ve got to say I’m slightly disappointed in the 27mpg so far (1100 miles).

The mitigating factor is it’s almost all urban driving but at those figures I’m left feeling like I should have stumped up a few more pennies and got the S4. As it was I thought the 190 was on paper at least a decent compromise between power and economy... I don’t really think it is

I had a JCW mini....the 1.6 twin scroll turbo and that drank fuel too. 26 mpg average over a year of ownership.

I don’t see the point of having a fast turbo petrol if you don’t floor it from time to time. They’re only “efficient” if you really drive like a nun.

Diesels were great for economy. Shame they’re dirty and on the way out. I love the torque it’s so effortless. No matter how I drive my 3.0 diesel it will always beat the S4 for economy.

To be honest I’m all for electric hybrids....would be nice to only use petrol when you want some fun. I don’t find it fun getting 20mpg in efficiency mode.

For that reason I try to avoid urban driving in mine. Most things I want in my town are walkable which saves engine wear, excessive fuel consumption and car park fees. I do drive short journeys, but try to keep them to a minimum as I hate the thought of the engine failing to reach proper operating temperature on a repeated basis. If I couldn’t give the engine a good blow through on a regular basis I think I would have chosen something smaller.

I had a JCW mini....the 1.6 twin scroll turbo and that drank fuel too. 26 mpg average over a year of ownership.

I don’t see the point of having a fast turbo petrol if you don’t floor it from time to time. They’re only “efficient” if you really drive like a nun.

Diesels were great for economy. Shame they’re dirty and on the way out. I love the torque it’s so effortless. No matter how I drive my 3.0 diesel it will always beat the S4 for economy.

To be honest I’m all for electric hybrids....would be nice to only use petrol when you want some fun. I don’t find it fun getting 20mpg in efficiency mode.
What you are stating is just not true, there are many benefits to having a turbo petrol engine and two of the reasons are that you can have the performance of a larger engine plus better mpg. You can also use the low torque and the broad spread it has, compared to a normally aspirated engine, without having to drive fast. I think getting over 30mpg out of my car is fantastic compared to the 18-22 I used to get from my mondeo. Take the 1.4 engine in the A3, easily achieved 40mpg around town with the performane of, at least, a 2.0l. Some it seem to forget that the normally aspirated engine of the same capacity had to have the nuts rev'd out of it to get any performace..

Last edited:
Reactions: RaZ A4
Posted this before but is a reasonable representation of what the s4 can do when driven on a mix of roads.

Totally forgot about the 190/252 differences, good spot.

Attachments

• A9C3A1BE-9C70-453E-8F79-E8D1E2467FB1.jpeg
    A9C3A1BE-9C70-453E-8F79-E8D1E2467FB1.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 793
Hhmm, that's not really what I would call a mix of driving on different roads. Average of 52mph sounds more like mainly motorways and A roads with no traffic. My one probably says 12mph average speed with 26mpg and that's only city roads during rush hour. The minute I get a clear bit or road where I can reach 30mph the real time consumption monitor says 40mpg average.

What you are stating is just not true, there are many benefits to having a turbo petrol engine and two of the reasons are that you can have the performance of a larger engine plus better mpg. You can also use the low torque and the broad spread it has, compared to a normally aspirated engine, without having to drive fast. I think getting over 30mpg out of my car is fantastic compared to the 18-22 I used to get from my mondeo. Take the 1.4 engine in the A3, easily achieved 40mpg around town with the performane of, at least, a 2.0l. Some it seem to forget that the normally aspirated engine of the same capacity had to have the nuts rev'd out of it to get any performace..

Can’t argue with that, I’ve been lucky enough over the years to own a real mix of cars petrol and diesel.

I’ve had

2 Honda S2000s
A BMW 325i
A BMW Z4M
A BMW 320d
A BMW 330d

To name a few, I’ve also had my fair share of run of the mill cars like a focus 1.8 an Astra 1.6 and so on.

The 2.0 petrol turbo brings the best of both worlds, performance especially in the mid range compared to NA petrol engines and refinement.

Without having a lead foot I’m getting 40 out of my 2.0 TFSI on my own it drops to 26 - 27, still an awful lot better than my 325i which over 2 years averaged no more than 22.

Even my wife’s 1.8 focus only averaged 24mpg for very flat performance.

Great to hear real life experiences.

My early thoughts are that I am happy with my petrol 252bhp engine. The consumption costs over a year are not so much for me personally. Wish it had a bigger tank so I could go longer before refilling. Waiting to try performance when the engine is run in a bit. Well the Allroad is not about performance so I should be happy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Can’t argue with that, I’ve been lucky enough over the years to own a real mix of cars petrol and diesel.

I’ve had

2 Honda S2000s
A BMW 325i
A BMW Z4M
A BMW 320d
A BMW 330d

To name a few, I’ve also had my fair share of run of the mill cars like a focus 1.8 an Astra 1.6 and so on.

The 2.0 petrol turbo brings the best of both worlds, performance especially in the mid range compared to NA petrol engines and refinement.

Without having a lead foot I’m getting 40 out of my 2.0 TFSI on my own it drops to 26 - 27, still an awful lot better than my 325i which over 2 years averaged no more than 22.

Even my wife’s 1.8 focus only averaged 24mpg for very flat performance.
+1, owned very similar...

What have I said that is not true? These are real world ownership observations. I’m not saying turbo petrols aren’t efficient compared to NA engines, I didn’t mention NA engines. I’ve never even had one.

My point is...put your foot down and they absolutely drink fuel. Suppose it makes you pick your moments which isn’t really a bad thing. You think twice whether it’s actually worth flooring it or not....at risk of slowly becoming a boring sod!

What have I said that is not true? These are real world ownership observations. I’m not saying turbo petrols aren’t efficient compared to NA engines, I didn’t mention NA engines. I’ve never even had one.

My point is...put your foot down and they absolutely drink fuel. Suppose it makes you pick your moments which isn’t really a bad thing. You think twice whether it’s actually worth flooring it or not....at risk of slowly becoming a boring sod!

Think you hit the nail on the head right there. With a diesel it doesn’t even cross you’re mind.. with a 2.0tfsi one min I’m like ‘YES!’ The power what fun!! Then the next I’m like miss daisy

I was using real world observations too, if someone has never owned a normally aspirated engined vehicle then there is no comparison between the performance of the two engines and how good the current forced induction engine is in term of mpg and performance.
However, as I already have stated, mpg is a subjective thing and experiences vary due to many factore...

Last edited:
Audi A4 2.0TFSI 190HP 7-Speed GSD
247b4fbdbfcf395edbc29a925685153a.jpg

It works out around 35mpg which isn’t so bad at all. I guess he never floored it.

My friend is interested in buying an A4 after seeing mine.

What would you guys recommend as the most efficient petrol engine? This guy literally never drives fast and just wants good economy for mainly motorway driving. 1.4 or 2.0?

Managed 30mpg from my S4 last night on an urban run....floored it and ended up returning 20mpg lol it can be pretty efficient if you are very sensible.

How many miles a year does your friend travel? If its mainly motorway then look at a diesel...

I have floored every day and also did some autobahn +200km/h. I am also amazed ... let’s be honest now if you have a premium car you should afford the gas specially in USA where the price are so low.

Reactions: oliquattro
i keep reading these reviews and the 1.4 and im starting to think i should have gone for the 1.4 rather than the 2.0 and save a fair amount of cash, i only travel 5 miles to work and would only require that extra bit of power for out trips to the Dales. my build date is the 15 Jan so i dont have long to decide if i am to change.

I forgot to mention that i have auxiliary heating and it starts every morning 10-20 minutes ...
This was before colder weather
This is 60% town and 40% highway.
7bb3ff0a749cfef3817af6fda0b1f23a.jpg

Last edited:
I have floored every day and also did some autobahn +200km/h. I am also amazed ... let’s be honest now if you have a premium car you should afford the gas specially in USA where the price are so low.

Yes that’s what I was trying to say earlier..... no point having a turbo petrol if you don’t have some fun from time to time. It makes you pick your moments which is a good thing.

Cuke; he’s done with diesel. I recommended the 2.0 as I thought it was the best balance between power and efficiency. I thought the 1.4 might struggle in an Avant.

i keep reading these reviews and the 1.4 and im starting to think i should have gone for the 1.4 rather than the 2.0 and save a fair amount of cash, i only travel 5 miles to work and would only require that extra bit of power for out trips to the Dales. my build date is the 15 Jan so i dont have long to decide if i am to change.

You only live once

11 months/12k miles/ 36 refuels
long term average 38.33mpg
managed a short term 44mpg journey
best tank 41.43mpg
worst tank 33.27mpg
the cold weather has hit the figures, so has my shorter commute (5 mile) to work

tend to fill up around 330miles on the trip or circa 90 mile range

After 10k, the long term fuel consumption (not been reset since 1k) is 39.8mpg. I confirmed it's accurate by comparing the short term consumption with the old fashioned refilling to the brim method. This is on the 190PS engine with mostly motorway mileage in Eco mode.

I'm very happy with this.

Pete

Reactions: france71
Had my 3.0 TDI quattro for 3 months now, car has done 4700 miles (1900 by me)

Only done 8 fills, averaging 31.02mpg.
Best 33.7
Worst 26.15 (my first full fill)

I have a heavy foot and my old 2.0 A5 was only returning between 31.3 and 34.66mpg this time last year so I’m quite pleased with the returns out of a car with almost an extra 100hp.

Will be interested to see what it gets once the weather is better