2.0 tfsi burning oil.....a lot of oil!

AvantAlexB7

Reaction score
Hi all,

As the title says my 2006 2.0tfsi avant seems to be burning and excessive amount of oil. Initially i thought it was due to the vac pump leak, which i have now fixed (to a degree) but the oil buring saga continues. I am aware that the 2.0tfsi lump is known for burning oil but mine only takes between 3-4 weeks to go from between min/max to pinging the dash light on. The car is always covered in alot carbon deposit on the tailgate too.

Is this a normal amount oil usage or do i have another job on my hands?

Ps. There is also no other oil leaks to my knowledge!

Cheers Alex.

Whats the milage Alex ?
More importantly , how many miles do you estimate you are getting from max to min drop level.
The BUL is not really effected by the oil issues that the newer tfsi's had, but it does still use oil.
I had a new short motor at approx. 32k miles under audi warranty as it was using a fair bit, but the replacement is not really any better, still drinks oil like its redbull but not as much as before. The PCV setup I fitted has helped aswell but its just one of those anyoning things with these engines, if you have high milage it could be rings that are worn aswell.
Have you checked your IC's recently to see how much is in them, the oen pcv assembly is also a known cause of excessive oil consumption, could be a combination of several things just making the problem worse.

rob

Shes just clicked onto 101000 miles. I have topped it up 3 times in 2000 miles and put around 1-1.5 litres in roughly. I cant really say for sure how many miles between full to low to be honest. Checking the ICs was on the to-do list while the the front bumper was off but i forgot in all the excitement. However, my plan is do the oil and filter and run and engine flush and with the correct oil run for 1000 miles and monitor from there.

Hows yours on oils Rob, am i flapping over nothing? Cheers

I've been using an Ester based oil for a while now and it has reduced the consumption compared to previous oil brands viscosity.
You don't need to drop the bumper to drain the IC's , just jack the front up a bit and then pull the hoses from each side closest to the middle section , and let it all pour out, and I bet you £20 there will be a lot in them …… I've been checking mine recently and with the pcv setup in place they have been pretty dry, which shows how well the setup works at dealing with the oil blow-by etc.
anyway, oil consumption is something one has to learn to live with in these engines.
just think of it this way, all the time your adding oil , you are adding new oil so after a while you'll have done a mini oil change without really knowing it..lol

here is what I use now and have been for a while.

Opoi1

Last edited:
I think the red car was always a little thirstier than my black car is, It's only now I think about it that the difference has struck me although your car was always felt more responsive and delivered much better fuel consumption although how much of that is due to the quattro I'm not sure. A change to 5w 40 should do wonders which is something I was planning to do.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I need to the breather mode to min as well it uses or relocates into the ic so drain every couple of months.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Cheers for the input chaps. I will drain the intercoolers first then change the oil for some good quality 5w 40 and monitor from there. Its ready for a full service anyway!