1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

2.0 tfsi bul timing trouble

Cazbrak Jul 24, 2020

1. Cazbrak

Cazbrak New Member

hi guys hope you are all well!

Basically I got a code from vcds reading p0016 as I had an engine light on. The car run well up to about 3 or 4k then just goes flat. If I keep my foot down sometimes it comes out the other end and starts pulling again other times is just stays where it is.

I changed the cam sensor as I thought that would be a good place to start but no joy. A friend of mine recommended changing the ocv which seems the next logical step.

I haven't checked the cam follower as of yet bacuse I'm under the impression that mine has a revised unit as its an 07 bul engine but I stand to be corrected if anybody has any info?

Possible diverted valve or crank sensor?? Egr clean up? Any help appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Dan_Avant

Dan_Avant Active Member

I’ve read online P0016 is normally a mechanical fault. Timing chain, chain tensioner, cam locks etc.

I haven’t had any experience with this code myself.

Seems odd that power is intermittent. That makes me think it could be a sticking solenoid somewhere?

4. Sidrick

Sidrick Well-Known Member

Sounds like exactly what I had when my HPFP follower was almost worn through.

5. I'm Just Rob.

I'm Just Rob. Moderating or something, Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

upload_2020-7-25_8-56-44.png

6. I'm Just Rob.

I'm Just Rob. Moderating or something, Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Cam follower in BUL engines still wear , just not as quickly as the non revised cam lobe setup, if you have no proof of when it was last replaced then maybe advisable to check it's condition.
    A low cost item to replace compared to the cost if it wears through into the cam lobe.

7. Cazbrak

Cazbrak New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'm guna change the ocv and check the cam follower... i may even replace it seeing as its off anyways. If there's no h
    Joy I suppose the next step would be chain tensioners and then chain if there's still no joy.
    Thanks again for the info.will let you know how it goes