2.0 tdi - strange issues 60 seconds after start up!!!

Lion Heart

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm having an issues with my 2.0 TDI. I've posted before, and working for a solution, so thanks for sticking by me if you read mypast post. But a very interesting development...

Basically, I'm getting a rough idle and lots of smoke when COLD (100% fine when warmed up).

Now, the interesting bit...

Having run some tests on this I'm finding that the car is 100% FINE for the first approximately 60 seconds or thereabouts. THEN the rough idle and smoking begins.

When you first fire it up super-smooth, no issues. Wait around 60 seconds, engine shuddering on the idle, and lots of smoke.

No overheating issues, no 'cheese' on the oil cap, pretty sure it's not a head gasket issue.

In the past on a petrol I have leaking valve rings, but that would smoke immediately upon start up. This does not.

If it were injectors it would again do it straight away, not suddenly after 60 seconds.

I thought maybe EGR valve as I believe that is not open when engine first started, but kicks in soon after? I removed the EGR valve and intake manifold, and cleaned both (not too dirty to be fair), tested EGR valve with VAG COM. All good.

So, what kicks in at around 60 seconds AFTER starting the engine that is not active when you first start it?

Here are the video's of my symptoms AFTER the 60 seconds approx:

Thanks guys!

That's a lot of white smoke. Usually white smoke on a diesel is unburnt diesel. I would suspect you have an injector that is weeping. It's usually possible to look at the injector duration on VCDS to see how balanced they are.
This is a bad 3.0 TDI
How many miles has it done?. Is fuel economy poor?. Check the oil level, if it's bad you can find the excess diesel getting into the sump, oil will smell of diesel.

Yes, I thought maybe injector. But wouldn't it start smoking from when first started? This only starts after around 60 seconds of running perfectly.

Which makes me think it's being caused by something that kicks in after around 60 seconds or so.

Not sure on fuel economy as just got the car. The oil was a little low so topped it up.

The smoke does smell quite sooty.

Could it be an injector if it starts 100% fine and then starts having issues after around 60 seconds?

On the 3.0 TDI cars the smoke gets worse as the engine warms up, they usually start fine. There are measuring blocks on VCDS that show injector duration and you can see how balanced the injection duration is.

That's very interesting indeed! I assumed if it were injector it would start playing up straight away.

If it were a weeping injector leaking diesel down into the sump overnight, that would smoke immediately though, right??

Hello, I have just found this post ... as I am having similar problem with my car so I am curious about what have you found that was wrong? I am pretty sure i have two injectors on their way out as they are aproaching their mg/stroke limits ... thx

As desertstorm rightly says, it’ll most likely be injectors, in my experience it doesn’t always start straight away.

be careful of your readings as one may be compensating for the other, its been a while but I think it’s high readings are usually the duff injector and the minus reading is usually the injector compensating for the knackered one. :)