2.0 TDI remap impressions

SnazzyWafles

Reaction score
Took my PD140 for a remap a month ago. I ended up settling for shark stage 1 software.

This isnt a review of shark as I have no experience of other software. This is more the difference between a mapped car and a non mapped car. This is due to there being a lack of actual clear information on how it changes the car apart from the typical "its mint mate!" or "yeah it pulls like a train bruv".

In its stock form the pd140 does feel quite nippy for a 4 pot 140bhp oil burner. However the reality is, its not. There is a big burp of torque around 2000rpm then the power sort of dribbles away after 2500rpm. The torque delivery is also quite sudden, its very on and off. This lead to me shifting way before the redline as holding gears offered little to no reward.

After the map the cars a complelty different beast. I was told by the guy who remapped my car "start using the rev range now and actually use the gear box". It sounded daft to me at the time but made more sense as I drove the car. Initially the car actually felt a lot slower. The torque I was used to wasn't as rough. In reality there was a lot more of it but its much smoother in its delivery almost train like (couldnt resist). The way more suprising thing was the fact you can also feel the car hit peak power. Where the car felt breathless before (2500 onwards) there is oodles of peak horse power to be found. The car now rewards the driver for holding gears.

Wear and tear wise, its true the remap will highlight weaknesses. My A3 is sat on around 92k miles and the remap highlighted issues with my clutch and dmf. They where present before the map but the increase in power helped bring them forward and rear their ugly heads. However this was down to me using all the extra power and driving the car very hard for the few weeks after my map. If I had stuck to my old habbits and just used it for overtaking I probably could of held off for another 10k. Ah well, to uprate the clutch or not . . .

Any other questions feel free to fire away.

Reactions: DJ_26
If the clutch and DMF is not the best a remap will expose it. Shark have been around for a while and have a good rep so not surprised you appear to have a good solid map on the car. As you have found a remapped diesel tends to feel more like a petrol with linear torque delivery and the ability to hold onto the revs a lot more before changing gears.

Reactions: SnazzyWafles