2.0 TDI real fuel consumption?

alfiejts

Reaction score
What REAL fuel consumption do people get out of their 2.0 TDis?

I know the headline figure is 50mpg+ and on a motorway run over several hundred miles at 70-80 mph, I can get the trip computer to show an average consumpption of 50-51mpg, but when I actually brim the tank and work out the real consumption accurately, this is only 46mpg in real life - the computer consistently over-reads by 10%.

When people say they get 50mpg, are they really measuring it properly by brimming the tank each time or just quoting what the over-optomistic trip computer tells them?

Overall, I've been driving reasonably sedately including a mix of town use and motorway use and without any real "thrashing". I'm only averaging a real 41mpg over my first 1000 miles of ownership and I'm a bit disappointed with that... (again - calculated accurately by brimming & measuring each tankful rather than relying on the DIS display which I'm finding constantly overreads by about 10%). The car's done 17000 miles, so it should be fully loosened up.

It does seem to dump an awful lot of diesel smoke out of the back when accelerating, but it was only serviced just before I bought it, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with it or they'd have found it then...

What are other 2.0TDI owners getting? - I'm a bit worried that my car may be a bit off.... (but please say whether you're measuring accurately by brimming the tank or just quoting the trip computer...)

Thanks.

The all-time average for my (nearly) two-year-old, 16k manual Sportback is 45mpg according to the computer which feels about right. However, on a run to see the folks (about 80 miles on a mix of good A-roads), I have seen 55mpg on the intermediate trip display.

Don't forget your car has DSG which will be different to manual, whether more frugal or not.

Mine was about 42 after 32,000/10 months. However, I drive with a lead right foot, so I am sure that getting close to 50 would be possible.

I did do a couple of long trips, where I was very very careful with the throttle and saw 57ish, on those journeys. However I also regularly would see high 20's too :(

Yes, I think the DSG makes a difference around town, as it just won't shift up out of fourth gear until the car's doing a real 31 or 32 mph and won't go into sixth until over 41-42mph.
I spend all the round-town motoring in fourth gear, whereas the manual courtesy car I borrowed last week would happily trundle around in fifth.

I get an average of 50mpg using the brim to brim calculation...

marriedblonde said:
I average about 42mpg in mine day to day. I also do tend to cain my car about.

J.

I'm beginning to wonder if ordering a 2.0T will actually bankrupt me... I'm hoping that because I won't need to boot it around everywhere I might actually return a reasonable mpg figure.

Yeah, right. :p

I have a 2.0tdi DSG which over 13700 miles has averaged 41.5 on the DIS and 37.8 on brimming the tank each time. I do a lot of traffic / short trips with irregular motorway jaunts. Surprised how poor the consumption is really plus how inaccurate the DIS is - my previous 150bhp Bora did 44.8 over 49K miles on the DIS (43.5 brim to brim) with a very similar driving pattern (plus it was a LOT faster)

I also get the low 40's,which is a bit of a shock to the system after the easy 49-55mpg I got from my 1.9tdi A4.
I reckon a manual would be much more economical.
DSG is constantly changing gears where you don't need to in a manual,so that's more fuel used right there.
DSG also often requires you to initially press the accelerator harder than you would in a manual too (to get over the DSG-delay),so that's more fuel used right there as well.

Using the real calculation rather than computer I get around 40 - 43 (which is after a years driving although only 7000 miles) it used to get around 35 - 39 at first.
Mine is a lot of short trips though and does get much better or longer journeys.

Forgot to mention - mine's DSG too.

I'm getting around 48mpg from my DSG equipped 2.0 TDI. Whether your DSG keeps changing gear, as Bowfer suggests, depends on how you use it. I drive with mine in tip-tronic mode most of the time and it only changes gear when I ask or into 1st when I stop. Apart from the 1st to 2nd change when you pull away more briskly.

On my annual long run to Austria at speeds well in excess of what is permitted in the UK the car still returns around the 48mpg mark. With much slower driving around the mountains in Austria it usually returns around 50-55mpg.

I'm only averaging 38mph lately but to be fair that's virtually all short journeys and I have a lead foot :)

The DIS says I've averaged 49.9 mpg over 14,500 miles, and my brimful filling confirms this. I normally get about 600-650 miles out of a tankful of Tesco's finest.

I normally use the DSG in manual mode as I prefer my gearchange timing, which also seems to help mileage. But when in town, I just let the DSG get on with it.

Oh and the car is Revo'd naturally! Not bad for a 190bhp 300lb ft engine.....

I actually get better mpg using auto mode... Must be my driving, although in manual mode and just pootling round I change gear early and just use the torque where as the auto seems to hang onto gears long.

J.

D is definitely the best mode for fuel economy with the DSG,but I still reckon a manual would be more economical again.
I can only blame DSG for my car being 20% worse on fuel than my A4,as there doesn't seem to be anything else to blame.
I would think the A3 is lighter.
I would expect the 2.0tdi to be more efficient than the 1.9tdi.
The only tangible difference I can point the finger at is the 'fussiness' of the DSG,so that's where my finger is being pointed.

Bowfer said...
"I would expect the 2.0tdi to be more efficient than the 1.9tdi." (cannot seem to get the 'quote' to work today!!!)

The facts given by Audi on the UK website do no bear out what you say Bowfer

The figures for Fuel Consumption for the standard Urban, Extra Urban and Combined for the 1.9 and 2.0 TDIs are:

1.9 TDI - 105PS - 40.9, 64.2, 53.3 - top speed 117
2.0 TDI DSG - 140PS - 38.7, 61.4, 50.4 - top spped 129
2.0 TDI Manual - 140PS - 37.2, 57.6, 48.7 - top speed 133

It there seems that the 2.0TDI uses more fuel than the 1.9TDI in the same A3 body and the DSG uses less than the Manual with the same engine.

If the 2.0TDI actually used less fuel than the 1.9TDI, and gave a lower top speed and worse 0-62mph why would anyone buy a 1.9.

I know you will probably say that the figures are 'manipulated' by Audi but as they are all about the same car and from the same source I think they can be regarded as a far comparision. Audi have no axe to grind in promoting one of it's version of the A3 over another.

benw123 said:
The all-time average for my (nearly) two-year-old, 16k manual Sportback is 45mpg according to the computer which feels about right. However, on a run to see the folks (about 80 miles on a mix of good A-roads), I have seen 55mpg on the intermediate trip display.

Don't forget your car has DSG which will be different to manual, whether more frugal or not.

Ben - Is there a trip computer on the SE - how do I access that?

My 1.9tdi was the 130 bhp version David.
So for an on paper improvement of 7% in power,I've had so suffer a 20% increase in fuel consumption.

Wonderful progress Audi,well done.

I get about 43mpg on town type driving, I haven't done a full tank comparission yet (even tho I've done 20k).