2.0 TDI oil pump / balance shaft failure?

got a phone call from the Mrs last night while was in the pub enjoying a christmas drink with my work mates, she said the cars broken down, clouds of white smoke then the engine locked up and stopped, 55 plate A4 B7 blb motor 107k on the clock

christmas has now been cancelled

Guys

Just been reading as much as i can on this thread and im seriously worried about my avant. I have a 2006 2.0Tdi 140 (BLB) and since i have owned it the car seems to pulsate/surge on normal driving. Being lazy also i havent been checking my oil level due to it only being serviced 5 thou ago and it doesnt have any leaks, but my oil level light came on the other night, so just topped it up and have been checking since.

Ran VCDS and got one fault

1 Fault Found:
005731 - Control Circuit for PD Injectors
P1663 - 000 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00110000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 149945 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 840 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 14.67 V
Bin. Bits: 11000100
Temperature: 26.1°C
Bin. Bits: 00010000

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Can anyone advise me what to do please, im hoping i have caught what ever it is early.

Thanks
Simon

Thanks for this Paul, but as mine hasn't gone yet, what are my options? Go to Audi or get rid?

Newbos,

"You pays your money and you takes your pick"
I had saved for the day and had Audi do the conversion for me , others have taken other paths.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do .

Paul B7

cheers for that, interesting to have small plastic parts doing such an important job while covered in hot oil

since my BLB 140 2.0tdi engine is toast could i dit a BRD 170 engine in its place, engine comes with injection pump still on so hopefully would be a straight swap
any thoughts

since my BLB 140 2.0tdi engine is toast could i dit a BRD 170 engine in its place, engine comes with injection pump still on so hopefully would be a straight swap
any thoughts

I believe others have tried to do a straight swap and it doesn't work !
As a minimum one would need to swap engine, DIS and ecu and possibly the manifolds.
I am almost sure others have tried and failed so lest hope someone who had tried to do this or even has managed to do it will jump in and advise ?

Paul B7

So far as I am aware, noone has successfully swapped a BLB for another engine code. Part of your problem will be in the ECU I'm guessing.

so im doomed to put back a BLB but mod it with new oil pump drive, i thought the 2.0tdi engine was the same unit as long as it was perfixed with a B and the the other letters LB or RD,or RE and so on were mods on the same basic block like the oil pump drives gear driven on the RE

****** back to the drawing board

Hi All

New to this but wanted to share my story/get opinions on the best way forward. I have a late 06 avant 2.0 tdi which I purchased just inside the warranty. I had a balance shaft modification done by my local Audi Dealership as it was outstanding. This was just over three years and 50k miles ago. I had read about the pump issue, but little was documented upon it then. Having the car has been great apart from the odd little thing, but it has now done 135k so you have to expect this.... But this week it all went wrong, the Oil pressure light came on, I stopped quite quickly and got towed home where the car is sitting sadly. I have not asked anyone to take the sump off yet, but I am expecting it is the oil pump issue.

I think it is the gear hex style pump, especially as my local dealership did a supposed modification (they will not confirm to me today if it was gear or chain), I still have the warranty job paperwork. By the looks of it even a modification done by a dealer can fail, which I have not read on any site. By the way this site has the best info I have come across after a lot of searching.

I can not afford to take it to Audi to dismantle, so my local indy is the first port of call, but if my fears come true and it is the pump, should I take it further with the dealer as only 50k ago I was told it was fixed?

Not seeing the massive amount of coverage the has received since I never thought anymore about it, how can a dealer get away with a such a poor repair with a short lifespan. OK, it has not been since service by Audi but I have looked after the car well with the indy garage using the correct oil. Any thoughts? I have seen some options on auction-sites to get remanufactured parts - but how long will they last. I am looking for another 100k out if this car.

I will update further on my progress, my local indy is already panicking about the job as he has done two before on older cars and pushed him to the edge... but until i know what the issue I do not know what option is best.

Go back to the dealer. I think you have just cause and I suspect they either ill-fitted the new shaft or it was a previous designed shaft. As far as I am aware there have been a few modifications over the past few years and the most recent version will be newer than the one you had.

As far as I'm aware the balance shaft was modified in 2010, to accommodate a longer hex. So you might have had gear conversion with the older part that is still known to fail. Audi should give a 2 year warrenty on the part they fitted, bit by the sound of it you are out or that too. Still worth contacting then, keeping calm, going on their Twitter facebook etc and politely letting then know. There might be some good will. Cheers matt

Thanks for the support. I sent a letter to the dealership today but not holding my breath....- gave them a week to come back to me. May look to get a 100mm hex drive made locally if that will sort it. If the drive is looking worn inside will also replace that. Do you think it would be a good idea to replace the oil pump while it is in bits???. Its not going anywhere for aweek as indy is busy.

Not crying yet, but can not believe Audi who I like can mess up a diesel engine so much..

Thanks for the support. I sent a letter to the dealership today but not holding my breath....- gave them a week to come back to me. May look to get a 100mm hex drive made locally if that will sort it. If the drive is looking worn inside will also replace that. Do you think it would be a good idea to replace the oil pump while it is in bits???. Its not going anywhere for aweek as indy is busy.

Not crying yet, but can not believe Audi who I like can mess up a diesel engine so much..

The chain driven unit in my BLB coded 2005 engine was converted to the "new" gear driven design by Audi in late 2011.
The warranty on my unit is 24months with unlimited mileage.
Hope this may help .

Paul B7

So, went to Audi today!

Apparently no such recalls are known about or have been done on my car!

So what to do next ... lol

So, went to Audi today!

Apparently no such recalls are known about or have been done on my car!

So what to do next ... lol

Drive with crossed fingers mate , inspect and replace or sell.......No other options

Sorry if been covered but is there a definitive parts list?
As in exact parts and part numbers?

Hi

I have had no luck from Audi, i think they are just trying to put it all behind them and brush under the carpet..... There are people on ebay who are selling the full conversion kits, there are a few places around London who sell them. Parts list are available on this site but apparently they are on back order from Audi

If you are worried I would just have it inspected and hope it is not the chain system as this seem to be guaranteed breakdown at some point..and the most costly if you want to convert. If it is the chain system you can buy replacement chains etc on ebay to do a quick fix, but it will go again. It seems BRE engines can be both chain and gear

Looking on the bright side you are aware of the problem and if the LOW OIL PRESSURE light comes on just pull over as fast as you can and get it towed home, this was your engine and turbo should survive as i am hoping mine have.

Good luck

Except when you are doing motorway speeds, by the time the oil light comes on it has been the case the engine is totalled by the time the car is stopped.

has anyone had any dealing of this guy in coventry, he's been mentioned in this thread on page 8 but the exact same post has also apeared on many other sites, honest jon, piston heand and many more so im not sure its a genuine post and not just a sneaky advert
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-0-TDI-B...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ccd9b1b36

im thinking of using him coz im fed up of my car just sitting in the street as i should be driving it not just walking past it
any thoughts welcome
ps he will replace the chain drive for gear driven oil pump so thuring a blb into a bre motor

Hi Matthew, the low oil pressure light has come on on my 2007 A4 2ltr only done 73400 miles we got this from Audi & its been service by them, not sure on what engine it is but the number BPW078051, my local garage has had a look at & didnt want to know. they say its the oil pump, I have rang Audi UK spoke to them they are not interested, the next thing ie to get it taken to the Audi garage & wait for the £ signs in there to start rolling

Audi wanted 5hrs labour at £100/hr + vat just to tell me the oil pump was ****ed, try an indie if you can find one, hows your turbo and bottom end

Ooh, not good.. I also have an 07 2.0 (with 67k on) and a bpw engine code.. I think that means we both have a geared oil pump (good) but possible issues around the hex key style balance shaft (bad). Would be very interested in hearing what happens with yours..

There is a very good indy near me on south coast - where are you based?

don't know about the bottom end as soon as the low oil pressure light came the engine was turned off, my local garage said that there was no oil pressure at all when he had it on his machine, saying that it could well be the pump, have spoke to Audi Uk the lad didn't seem to know to much & would not commit himself, i have asked for a manager to ring me but i am not holding my breath for him to ring me, but he did give me a price for a new oil pump £852.32 + vat, that’e without fitting,
the engine number is BPW 078051
i am based in east yorkshire

Last edited:
the wife has just told me that the brake peddle was hard to push down a few days before hand, dont know if this is connected

Ive had my 2.0tdi a month and am seriously considering seeing if I can get a swap deal for a 2.0tfsi in the near future.. its not worth the hassle.. and mine is a BPW with gear driven unit so should be slightly better!

got a quote from audi garage yesterday they want £852.32 +vat just for the oil pump the 10 hours to fit at £95 per hour +vat so a total of £32162.78, so dont know what to do, the car is just sat on my drive

Only do it if your keeping the car for a few years otherwise sell it!

I had mine done last year and im thinking of selling in a month or so.. even if I get book value im down 2k

So sell it 500 quid cheaper and move on! Dont make the same mistake as I did

Only do it if your keeping the car for a few years otherwise sell it!

I had mine done last year and im thinking of selling in a month or so.. even if I get book value im down 2k

So sell it 500 quid cheaper and move on! Dont make the same mistake as I did

Thats good advice!
I had my blb converted 12 months back for circa £2000 but only becauseI keep my cars for a LONG time and " in the family",
10 years being typical. If I was one to keep my cars short term the maths behind the costs don't stack up.

The safest way is to do what PaulB7 and me are doing and that is to convert over to a set of pedals and a bike chain ;)

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make light of this but from this thread all I manage to read is angry owners. The article from Audi driver is pretty defeatist any doesn't speak of preventative methods should you buy a car with low miles, only that you will experience a problem and you better save.

I plan to buy a low mileage (32k) 56 reg 2.0TDi A4 in the knowledge it could have either type of pump, but hoping for the gear driven variant. Should it be gear driven I will be looking into replacing the hex bar with a custom made one should the pump still be in reasonable condition. If it IS the belt driven unit, i will be saving for a gear driven unit to replace it with - But to confirm, you can replace the belt drive system with the gear driven unit? Or am I totally on the wrong path here?

Regards

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make light of this but from this thread all I manage to read is angry owners. The article from Audi driver is pretty defeatist any doesn't speak of preventative methods should you buy a car with low miles, only that you will experience a problem and you better save.

I plan to buy a low mileage (32k) 56 reg 2.0TDi A4 in the knowledge it could have either type of pump, but hoping for the gear driven variant. Should it be gear driven I will be looking into replacing the hex bar with a custom made one should the pump still be in reasonable condition. If it IS the belt driven unit, i will be saving for a gear driven unit to replace it with - But to confirm, you can replace the belt drive system with the gear driven unit? Or am I totally on the wrong path here?

Regards

There are chain driven balance shaft/oil pump assemblies and gear driven balance shaft/oil pump assemblies only. The chain driven units (BLB engine codes ) can be converted to gear driven units. There are no belt driven units or I fear we would have other problems. Even the incompetent Audi engine designers didn't produce belt driven units.....................well not yet anyhow .......

Hi guys,

Regards

Yes Steve you can convert the unreliable chain driven system to the more reliable gear system. Most cars with engine codes other than BLB should be gear driven anyway, but check by ringing Audi a quoting reg a vin number
You're still not out of the wood as the balance shaft as im sure you've read is still problematic