2.0 tdi MPG

Andykb675

A6 Avant Black Edition S-Tronic
Reaction score
Sorry another MPG question

having not driven our 'new 2 us' car yet I'm not completely sure we have a problem yet so i thought id post up just for a little advice on the audi tdi and the more modern diesel engine.

So my better half claims the car is only doing approx 35mpg(according to the computer) i politely dismissed her comments as you do and said it probably needs resetting so dont worry, i was politely reminded she already did this and before it was only doing 32mpg.

Now i know she is probably only doing the school run and the odd mums taxi jaunt(no real long runs) but i have to be honest i kinda expected more from it, she has all the stop start stuff enabled and eco mode on but she can't get above it.

Im home in a few weeks so get to see the car for the first time so ill do the empty/drive/refill calculations then but wanted to gauge what others with similar engine/s-tronic were getting from theirs.

Obvious things would be to check the tyre pressures and wheel alignment

Sadly the trip computer is optimistic so you might be in for an even bigger shock......

You need to get it out on a run and see what it can do. My 3.0 according to Audi will do mid 40's on the combined cycle.....righto!! Low 30's is what I'm getting........on a run I can see mid 40's even with a bit of a play so I know the car is working fine

welcome to 'real world economy' figures......... :(

pretty sure the tyre pressures are now ok as i had an out of body moment last week after she talked me through the process of putting air in the tyres after an alarm and resetting of the monitor....so may explain the lower previous figures.

May end up with egg on my face as i quoted the Gov.uk figures in my business case....its a good job she loves the car !!

pretty sure the tyre pressures are now ok as i had an out of body moment last week after she talked me through the process of putting air in the tyres after an alarm and resetting of the monitor....so may explain the lower previous figures.

May end up with egg on my face as i quoted the Gov.uk figures in my business case....its a good job she loves the car !!

When I had new tyres put on recently the garage only half filled them.....they were about 10psi down on the recommended pressures!! Since then my mpg has improved steadily but its not amazing but meh! Only live once.....!!

MPG will also improve once the weather starts warming up too.........

Try checking if "Audi Drive Select" is in "Efficiency Mode", also check f the aircon is off.

Another thing that robs you of fuel consumption are the electric mirrors. Make sure the switch is set to point to either the left or right, don't leave it in the middle, as this leaves them on.

The best way to check what is using up fuel efficiency is to put the DIS into what I think is called "Efficiency Monitor"? (currently in hospital so can't check it out for you)

Reactions: PeteBSK
Driving our 2.0 TDI in efficiency mode and i've seen 56.5mpg on the fuel computer and a range of 655 miles.

Short runs kill diesels mpg. The wifes old scirocco did 50 plus on a run but often only 40 when doing her shorter runs to work

Thanks for the feedback guys I'll check them all when I'm back and give her a good run..... The car I mean not the Mrs !

I did a brief "real world check" on an extended test drive before buying our 2.0

With a mix of approximately 40/60 motorway / town driving (and me giving it a bit of stick to check performance -vital research of course) it managed an average of 54mpg. I thought that was fairly decent

Regularly hitting 57 - 58 on a steady run. Averaged just over 42mpg (actual not DIS) over first 7,000 miles which includes a daily commute into the city and a thrash down to France and back for the weekend !

Last edited:
Short runs with stops and starts will kill TDI mpg, especially if she has a heavy foot

Reactions: Andykb675
Hopefully be able to pick up on all the tips you've guys have posted as I'm heading home tonight to see the car...finally

will report back on the MPG as i intend to do some good runs whilst at home.

Try checking if "Audi Drive Select" is in "Efficiency Mode", also check f the aircon is off.

Another thing that robs you of fuel consumption are the electric mirrors. Make sure the switch is set to point to either the left or right, don't leave it in the middle, as this leaves them on.

The best way to check what is using up fuel efficiency is to put the DIS into what I think is called "Efficiency Monitor"? (currently in hospital so can't check it out for you)
Crikey I hadn't thought of that! I thought you actually had to press the button when it was set in the middle to enable the wing mirror heating...? That would affect MPG... good shout. One day I must read the manual...!

Ok quick update I'm slightly less worried about the number the Mrs has been quoting as I've just checked her average speed over long term memory and its at 17mph!!!!! which as feedback suggest kills a diesels MPG.
I took it out for relatively good and uninterrupted run and got mid 40's which if honest I'm still a little disappointed with but its heading in the right direction.

Tyre pressures tomorrow
AC has been off(her words are that its fecking freezing s why would i have it on)
the wing mirror thing is confusing me, i have a left and right option, plus a heated middle option as well as a folder option at '6 o'clock....so ill pick either left or right from now on in.

thanks guys

Reactions: Sarge17
We've had ours just over a week and it's been returning high 40's on the commute to work (average speed around 30mph) and on a recent run to Newcastle it made 54 in Economy mode (air con on though, it was sunny) - considering the engine only had 23 miles on it at the start of the run I think that's damn good going!

Still not convinced I'm optimising ours in the best way and I haven't been home long to empty the tank and record the mileage...but I'm happy it's better than what we are used to in previous cars plus it puts a ****** big smile on my face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Economy mode makes quite a big difference. it softens the throttle quite a bit, so the revs are more stable. I've also noticed that when in Eco Mode the cruise control allows the speed to drop quite a bit on the hills. My previous experience is that the cruise control will try to accelerate up the hill to maintain the set speed - not great for economy figures when you live in Scotland haha

I have just gone from an A4 1.9tdi saloon to the A6 2.0 Avant. Also gone from manual to the auto.. Wow what a difference
Just managed 500 miles from 60 litres on a combined run (half a tank on motorway run)
Scary...
I did only realise the economy option on the way home though and I'm sure the Pirelli tyres have poor economy ratings
Need to do a few more runs to see if I can get better stats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audimad
Mpg on the right settings is good I live in Sheffield and hills are us a6 2.0 s line Quattro 39 round town.

My current average is 48, which compared to my C6's 30 is a welcome change :)

You Don't Mention what Out Put it is IE 150 , 170 or 190 Bhp and Is it front wheel drive or Quattro ... my Old A4 Avant Quattro 170 used to get just over 40mpg on a Decent run on A roads. Was advised this Improves once car has over 20k Miles .