[2.0 TDI] How to know if your cylinder head will Crack (if it hasnt yet)?

Hot start problem is in most cases caused by a worm starter motor. I had exactly the same issue with a 2005 Golf 2.0 Tdi (BKD) which was resolved by replacing the starter motor using a recon unit from ECP. Replacing the starter motor is a 30 minute job abd can be done on your driveway just remember to discount your battery first.

Thanks for that - will get looking for a new starter!

my heads cracked where the glow plugs come out and mines got the C part number. ;(

so what happens if the crack is between the glow plug holes in the head ?

so what happens if the crack is between the glow plug holes in the head ?

New head needed I'd say, you'll lose compression/burn oil

Update on mine regarding hot start - had it remapped with hot start fix and all has been good since (same starter & battery that was advised to be replaced - they don't)

does this happen after the cars been mapped or if its not happened after 97,000miles am safe?

a head can crack at any time it wants to

Hi, I'm looking into getting a 140 and stumbled upon this. Does anyone understand the numbering scheme used for the years below? In general I think .5 means Sept to Feb cars but then there's .55 and .6?
03G 103 308 A years 2003 to 2005.55 allmost all cracked - 03 to a 55 plate?
03G 103 308 B
years 2005.5 to 2006.6 only a few cracked - 55 to 56 plate?
03G 103 308 C years 2006.5 to 2007.5 none cracked cracked - 56 plate to 57 plate

After reading this I've gone out in the rain to check mine...

Mine is a 55 plate... but has a C head.... does this possibly mean the head has been replaced at some point?

Brought a 53 plate 2.0 TDI and the part appears to have been replaced:03G 103 308 C although I have the warm start issue which is becoming annoying.

Just got round to checking mine. Appears to end in an A and has done 120k with no problems.

Has anybody any experience of them suddenly going at higher mileages? Or at 11years and 120k miles is it at the point where it would have cracked if it was going to?

Think mine might have finally started to go, using coolant with no signs of leaking and not mixing with oil! :(

Think mine might have finally started to go, using coolant with no signs of leaking and not mixing with oil! :(
Could be the EGR Cooler leaking. Have you checked that?

My car doesn't like to start well in the morning, attempts to start then stalls...

The car also isn't the smoothest of starts when its hot.

I'm keeping an eye on the coolant, did notice some smoke this morning though.

Could be the EGR Cooler leaking. Have you checked that?

My egr has been deleted so the cooler is blanked, there's no wet patches I can see so don't think it's leaking I think it's being combusted!

Hello all. I hope this thread is open.

I've been told that my 04 Audi A3 head gasket issues, the garage suggested a cylinder change. My question is, does it have to be a specific code as mentioned in post?

Please let me know.

I have a 2005 Volkswagen Golf mk5 which when I bought it in 2008 had to get the engine replaced as it had the cracked cylinder. I was told at the time that a 2007 bkd engine was put in. The engine was fine up until 6 months ago when it started loosing coolant again and very smokey I just checked the number on the top of the engine and it is 03G 103 469N. Do any of ye know is this the trouble head number or could it be something more minor. Thanks for help

I have a 2005 Volkswagen Golf mk5 which when I bought it in 2008 had to get the engine replaced as it had the cracked cylinder. I was told at the time that a 2007 bkd engine was put in. The engine was fine up until 6 months ago when it started loosing coolant again and very smokey I just checked the number on the top of the engine and it is 03G 103 469N. Do any of ye know is this the trouble head number or could it be something more minor. Thanks for help

The part you listed is cylinder head cover mate. Look for the cylinder head number and post it. :)