2.0 Tdi GLOW PLUG LIGHT PROBLEM STARTING CAR

darkside

Reaction score
Hi, after bit more help please. My A3 Tdi Glow Plug Light wont go off when i go to start the car so the car wont start at all. I have to turn the keys back off then on again to try and get the light off sometimes taking upto 5 goes before the light finally goes off and can finally start the car. Anybody had any similar problems or ideas as what it could be causing the problem? Thanks.

Maybe stupid, but have you had it scanned for errors on VCDS to find out what the cause is?

I had something similar a few years ago on another car, the issue was just that the glow plugs were worn out and didn't get hot enough first (or second) time to enable the engine to start.

As you described I had to keep turning the key until eventually they got hot enough. Not sure if you have the same problem as you don't say how old the car is or what the mileage is, but if the engine is old enough and been started enough times then the plugs may just have worn out?

Thanks for the replies, its 2006 and milage is 40,300. My first thoughts were the glow plugs but have since been told they should be nowhere near needing changing and that it could possibly be the glow plug relay switch, anybody else think that could be it? My mates uncle is master tecnician at VW dealership and has said he'l put it on the diagnosis machine in the morning so hopefully that willl find the problem. Any other thoughts would be grateful cheers.

Had the car scanned on saturday and showed that my ECU was not connecting with any of the sensors, mechanic said without stripping it down to get a def answer reckons most likely the ECU is gone, any body have any suggestions?

Again as previous poster - sorry for bringing this fault up again

BUT

I work for myself doing Freelance MOT's and have a small workshop for service repairs and diagnosis etc

Guess what !!

After searching Google I found this thread

The original "symptoms" quoted are exactly the same as the car I have in for repair

53 Plate 2.0 TDi A3 Manual 81100 mile

It came in with a Non-Start issue when Glow light stays on (engine cranks but will not fire)

Turn off key and back on - if light comes on then goes off it starts perfectly every time

Only code stored using my Snap-On Solus Ultra was P0671 Cyl 1 glow plug open circuit

Replaced all 4 glow plugs and the Injector/glow plug loom (very common fail on this engine)

Now I have no fault codes

But car will not fire if coil light stays on

I even checked for fault codes when engine not firing but again no codes

Also when car starts there is no indication of a "leaking injector" either visually with smoke from exhaust also fuel pressure reading via Live Data on Snap-On

Any ideas ?

Thanks for any replies

Note:- Engine has also had full service and cambelt with water pump so I am happy all the "usual suspects" are covered lol

48 views in 1 hour and no replies

Is this a real rare "fault" or has no one got an answer ?

Very little on Google so far but maybe it is an "age / mileage" thing !

ECU fried ! Had same thing with mine,ended up getting a second hand ecu.........but then there was the immobilizer issue,due to the ecu being off another car,luckily vagtronics in stoke sorted it all out for me,best i can advise is get another ecu,sooner or later the car will never start,thats what happened with mine.

ECU fried ! Had same thing with mine,ended up getting a second hand ecu.........

Glad to hear you sorted your "issues"

Does car have 1 main ECU or are there multiple ECU's ?

If so which one did you change ?

just 1 for the engine,open the bonnet ,remove plastic cover that runs under the windscreen(scuttle panel) shiny metal box,with 2 round flat,pain in backside bolts to remove,once the bolts are removed,ecu is in there,i used a pair of mole grips,and butchered the bolts of then used 2 10mm bolts instead.I did have fault codes stored regading ecu,best thing i can suggest,is connect another ecu,turn on ignition if glow light go's' out then its defo the ecu.
Glad to hear you sorted your "issues"

Does car have 1 main ECU or are there multiple ECU's ?

If so which one did you change ?

Last edited:

Had the same problem Today glow light flashing start the car and cuts out within seconds scanned it and said no codes found.

Found a fix with mine, took key apart to find find the insides were not fixed to the key so just floating about. Took 5 minutes to screw and fix them all back in place and then tried starting it again and it started straight away. Apparently something to do with the immobilizer but fixing down the parts inside the key sorted it straight away hope this helps anyone with the same problem and I was clueless luckily father in law is a mechanic and took about hour and a half but eventually found the problem

Reactions: ahtcap