2.0 tdi fuel filter replacement

APL TDi

Reaction score
Hi all

I have never serviced a tdi before. Can anyone point me in the direction of the fuel filter please?

Thanks alot.

Ant

Looking at the engine bay,

Left hand side,

About 12 inches (30cm/300mm) from the headlight towards the rear of the car,

Canister looking thing, with 4 pipes on the top, 5 ? torx head screws holding lid on, and one in the middle to bleed/water seperate.

Good luck!

Ooooh, THATS the fuel filter! lol

Thanks very much mate:thumbsup:

Easy peasy to replace but maybe have a bag at hand when taking it out as it will be full of fuel

Also, do not worry if it takes a wee while for the engine to start as there is no fuel in the new filter!

Turn the ignition key a few times before starting and the system should self prime.

OK, perhaps a silly question... When i remove the 5-6 screws off the top of the fuel filter will it squirt fuel at me. If the car is turned off will the fuel filter housing still be pressurised or slightly pressurised?

Thanks.

Tom

Is it just a case of lifting the lid, replacing the filter and tightening the lid again, or do you need to use the bleed screw to bleed it afterwards?

Is it just a case of lifting the lid, replacing the filter and tightening the lid again, or do you need to use the bleed screw to bleed it afterwards?

Could someone give a detailed description of the filter change procedure. I have searched all threads but most just say, take the lid off, yank the filter out and screew the lid back on. Turn engine on and it will be good to go.
Are there any little niggles like being ready for it to squirt or having to bleed afterwards as amentioned above.

Basically that is all you do - it will take a bit longer to start as there will be no fuel in the filter but that is normal.

Unscrew, remove old filter, replace with new filter, screw, turn on engine.

Basically that is all you do - it will take a bit longer to start as there will be no fuel in the filter but that is normal.

Unscrew, remove old filter, replace with new filter, screw, turn on engine.

Would it help to fill the new filter up with fuel before putting th lid back on. Or is it really not necessary?

Thanks by the way!

Mines going to take a bit longer as I want to sand down and paint the top of the filter whilst its off. Its the only thing that's rusted under the bonnet. Someone must have left some standing water in it during the car's first 12 months before I bought it....

Swapped mine yesterday. The motor factor had two different filters and even knowing the engine code and chassis number, it could still be one of two, so I had to take the old one in to get the right replacement.

I was in Halfords later and the one they sell for the A3 is the same as mine - except I paid £15 from the motor factors and they charge £26...

Mine also came with a replacement seal for the cannister lid and also a replacement seal that looks like the five olympic rings, that went onto the top of the plastic moulding inside the cannister.

I did have trouble getting the lid back on the cannister. I had to force it down quite hard - and eventually loosened the bleed valve to help...

Its all back together now, but I am having a nagging doubt - The filter itself has a grooved ring at each end. I'm wondering if that was meant to locate on a slot at the bottom of the housing. I couldn't see to the bottom because it still had fuel in it and I didn't try and turn it to see if it aligned into a slot - I just pushed the filter in and forced the lid back on....

Now I'm not sure whether to take it apart again and to try and align the slip in the filter with any rib on the bottom of the cannister.

Can anyone advise?

Done mine yesterday too. i dont think it had been replaced in about 80K miles. the filter was black as coal!
buy yeah it was just as case of taking the lid off, pulling out the filter and pushing in the new one with a new rubber ring going on the underside of the lid, a new 'olympic ring shaped' rubber seal on top of the new filter and a new metal washer on the outside of the bleed screw. It took a bit of force to get the first screw back on but after that the rest of the screws just pulled it down!

Am i mad in thinking that the car actually feels a bit more responsive and smooth since changing it? It feels like it is. Its definitely smooter running since i done an oil, fuel and air filter change along with an il change.:icon_thumright:

Hi, just changed my fuel filter and it is also really black, is this normal or something to worry about??

CIMG4718.jpg

I'd worry when you pull out the old filter and it's pink ;)

It will get black over time from the fuel impurities anyway, thats the point mate, nothing to worry about, I mean how many miles has it done?

It will get black over time from the fuel impurities anyway, thats the point mate, nothing to worry about, I mean how many miles has it done?

Sorry to take so long to reply, ive just been to the south of france, the cars done 75000 miles and as far as i know this is the first time its been changed.....

I just wasnt expecting it to be so black, i will probably give it a few more miles and change it again to see if its black again.

Cheers

Ste

I wouldnt bother mate, waste of money IMHO, but your choice, give it another 20-30k then change.

quick question even though its stupid!
just bought a fuel filter and going to fit it. my drive is on a slope, with the bonnet facing downwards.

does this make any difference or should the car be on a flat surface?

As long as has enough fuel in then isnt an issue, assume you understand how to bleed it to fill the filter & remove air.

As long as has enough fuel in then isnt an issue, assume you understand how to bleed it to fill the filter & remove air.

mmm from reading above i thought it was just these simple steps?

Unscrew, remove old filter, replace with new filter, screw, turn on engine. :faint:

i changed mine the other month but how do you bleed the fuel system as ????

There is a screw on the top of the filter casing, leave this of, turn over the engine with the power pack disconnected from the right side of the block, then when the fuel starts running out of that screw then screw it up & job done, reconnect engine power pack & start her up, you probably would be ok without doing this but I wouldnt chance it.

oh rite so if i didn't do it when i changed filter should i do it now ? or would it of bled it self ?

thanks

what do you mean reconnect power pack??
Thining of giving mine a mini service...

Anyone know the cost roughly of the TDI fuel filter? Just so I know what's cheap etc on bay

nige i have and am still none the wiser??

On the right side of the engine there a round electrical power connector, this is disconnected whilst priming the fuel delivery system, it stops the car from starting, thus once you've primed by turning the car over a few times you then reconnect & start the car, job done, well this is how I do it anyway mate.

lol ok i thought you could do that by just switching the ignition on - without starting the engine??

the outer pipes are connected with some clips are these easy to take off?

Well i had a spare day today so i painted the outer lid. Was a pain to clean and paint as i couldnt wire brush the more affected areas of rust etc. I painted it with trusty old hammerite smooth silver. Im not impressed with the results if im honest but it looks better than it did!!

One question is there a special way to remove the filter itself as i tried when i had the cover off but it wouldnt budge.

thanks

LOL ok thanks guys - if anyone is interested i can post the pics tmw sometime.....