2.0 TDI engine mount failure

pioneer181

Torque talks
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a 2005 A3 2.0 TDI and had the engine mount fail on me a few weeks ago. The garage where I had it repaired said it looked as though who ever changed the timing belt hadn't refitted it properly and that is what caused it to fail.

Now 4 weeks later the same mount has gone again. I have had the car for about 4 months now and when idling, the car vibrates, like its idling rough. It has done this since I've owed it. I put this down to the engine mount so thought it would be cured when it was fixed, which it wasn't.

The garage I have taken it to now (someone I know) says it looks as though whoever fixed the last engine mount hand't done it properly. He did mention that there is a baring on the fly wheel that would cause the excessive vibrating when idling but doesn't think it would be enough for it to cause the engine mount to go again.

Has anyone had any similar problems with the engine mounts or excessive vibrating on idle.

Thanks

Si

I had a 2004 and the idle shake was down to the flywheel and engine mount

In the end i just sold it and got something new :laugh:

Thanks for the reply.

As the the engine mount has gone for a second time I'm not sure if its the flywheel bearing that's causing excessive load on the mounts an causing them to fail.

I would imagine it is the flywheel

If that is vibrating like a bitch, the entire engine will shake causing the engine mounts to be affected

Makes sense I guess.

The mechanic that has it as the moment says it'll cost me quite a bit to replace the flywheel bearing but he's not had a really good look yet.

It does vacate like a bitch sometimes, other times its hardly noticeable. I do 500+ miles a week so that won't help.

Thanks for your help!