2.0 TDI Cruise & MFSW Retrofit Help!

zak123

Reaction score
Hello

I currently own a 2005 (54 Reg, Feb 05) A3 Sport, the car has the standard 3 spoke sports steering wheel with the square air bag.

I would like to retrofit cruise control and a multi function steering wheel.

From the research I have done my steering wheel control module part number is 1KO-953-549-A,

The Rosstech website states

Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki

This is a midline module capable of only supporting cruise control and not the MFSW.

My main question is that if I upgrade my steering wheel control module to e.g.1K0-953-549-B (highline module) will I be able to fit a MFSW ?

Concern being that the SW Level on the 1K0-953-549-B is 0010 and the SW level on my existing module (1K0-953-549-A) is 0030.

Or can I simply choose any highline module provided it uses the Type 1 slip rings ?

Please help,

Thanks in advance

Ignore the SW version and just worry about what the ecu supports, note that the wiring loom from the slip ring is different for non MFSW, so you either do all of it or just cruise at once, unless you have the loom for the slipring....

I am planning on doing everything at once, Does this mean i can use any highline module as long as its compatible with my ECU? how can i check this?
Also is the new required loom from the slip ring available at dealer? if so do you have a pt number?

the "highline" module is your steering ECU, and is only compatible with a certain slip ring, it explains it in the ross tech article.

If you do a search there is alot of info on this site that will explain it all.

Hello

I currently own a 2005 (54 Reg, Feb 05) A3 Sport, the car has the standard 3 spoke sports steering wheel with the square air bag.

I would like to retrofit cruise control and a multi function steering wheel.

From the research I have done my steering wheel control module part number is 1KO-953-549-A,

The Rosstech website states

Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki

This is a midline module capable of only supporting cruise control and not the MFSW.

My main question is that if I upgrade my steering wheel control module to e.g.1K0-953-549-B (highline module) will I be able to fit a MFSW ?

Concern being that the SW Level on the 1K0-953-549-B is 0010 and the SW level on my existing module (1K0-953-549-A) is 0030.

Or can I simply choose any highline module provided it uses the Type 1 slip rings ?

Please help,

Thanks in advance

Zac - I think you may be confused a bit and, to be fair, it's hardly surprising ! However, good effort for researching yourself !

The simplest way to put this is that you definitely need the following :-

1) ECU 'highline', Type 2, steering angle sensor 'yes' (from that link you provided). The slip ring you need is suffix 'D' (type 2) not type 1 but you may already have this, mine did.

2) Mfsw and matching airbag (the one you have will be the same shape but will not necessarily fit. I know because I have tried two mfsw and my airbag only fitted one of them ) ! As stated you also need the correct airbag wiring loom for the mf wheel because yours will not be suitable. These are available from Audi approx £22. I have mfsw for sale if you are interested either with, or without airbag and airbag has correct wiring loom.

3) Cruise control retro fit kit available from Stoke Audi at approx £65 which also has what they call a 'repair wire' which you might need depending on whether your car has one or not. This wire connects between the steering module plug and the engine control unit. As I say you may already have a wire in this position, my 2006 MY sportback had. In addition you will need a new steering column lower cowl approx £30.

I think it doubtful that you will find a 1K0 type control module suitable for both cc and mfsw. You may be lucky on ebay but you could be looking for months - I was !! You can get the suitable one from Audi - part no. 8P0 953 549 F approx £160.

4) After all this you will need VCDS to code it all in. For CC you need to code both steering module and engine module for it to work.

It's a bit coplicated I know, but it's basically because Audi had so many different specifications and part numbers that you cannot guarantee a suitable match for every vehicle.

Hope this helps a bit and feel free to ask further questions if necessary. You may have to wait 'til Sunday for further answers 'cos away tonight and Sat.

Hello Mike,

Thanks alot for the info, looks like im going to have to start hunting !!

Just a quick question, the steering wheel control module you quoted it 8P0 953 549 F is coming up as a midline control module on the rosstech website, was this intentional or just a mistake ? I assume if I use this module then I will not be able to fit a MFSW ?

Ill PM you for more info on the steering wheel.

Regards

Zac - that steering wheel module (8P0 953 549 F ) is not on the RT website. It is not the same module as 1K0 953 549 F.

I can assure you that the 8P0 version is suitable for CC and MFSW. It is a 'highline' type 2 with steering angle sensor. You need slip ring version 'D' to use with it.

So basically all you need to fit is, multi-function steering wheel, slip ring (i assume this is the part behind the steering wheel) and steering ecu? these three parts fitted to my a3 will make my car have multi-function??

So basically all you need to fit is, multi-function steering wheel, slip ring (i assume this is the part behind the steering wheel) and steering ecu? these three parts fitted to my a3 will make my car have multi-function??

Yes, but using the document from Ross-Tech shows what modules & slip rings are compatable.

You also need to code it in using VCDS.

What year is your car ? For the mfsw to operate to its full potential you need a highline DIS and phone preparation. Otherwise the wheel can only be used to operate the radio/cd

Hi I'm looking into fitting cruise and mfsw to my 2005 55 plate a3 8p sb 2.0 tdi.
The module that is currently fitted it the AF which I understand is only capable of supporting CC.
Is that right?
If so can I fit a 1K0 module ending in CD or CH, will it work on my car and support those two functions when I get around to upgrading?
Thanks
Ben

Hi I'm looking into fitting cruise and mfsw to my 2005 55 plate a3 8p sb 2.0 tdi.
The module that is currently fitted it the AF which I understand is only capable of supporting CC.
Is that right?
If so can I fit a 1K0 module ending in CD or CH, will it work on my car and support those two functions when I get around to upgrading?
Thanks
Ben

Module 1K0 with suffix AF is capable of supporting CC in the 'alternative' mode. i.e. the 'SET' button on the end does nothing and you pull towards you and downwards to set speed.

The ONLY module that will support MFSW on your car is 8P0 suffix F

I had exactly the same car and year as yours and carried out both mods at different times. You will have slip ring suffix 'D' which is suitable for both CC and MFSW.

Bear in mind that unless you have RNSE navigation system and OEM Bluetooth installed all the mfsw will do is adjust the volume and toggle between CD and radio. The other buttons do not work.

Also be careful when buying the new wheel as those advertised on ebay as fitting A3, A4, TT etc. etc will most likely not be the correct fitting for your existing airbag.

p.s. both mods will need coding using VCDS

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra
What the point of having a list of all the steering modules on the Ross tech website if you can't use any of them then?

What the point of having a list of all the steering modules on the Ross tech website if you can't use any of them then?

Is that not a question you should be addressing to Ross-tech ? Assuming you have a genuine VCDS cable then they will provide you with all the support necessary.

I have merely given you the benefit of my personal experience with an identical car ! I think if you research the subject carefully on this forum you will find dozens of threads about the same subject and all the answers come back to the same conclusion.

See what Sebastian says at Ross Tech

Sorry I hope you didn't take that as me having a go, and that's a fair point about asking Ross Tech, I would be interested to know although if all the extra functions the MFSW will give me is adjusting the volume on the radio cd (without forking out for indeed extra modules for Bluetooth etc) then it's probably best I just let that dream die and start saving for an s-line with the extras.
Thanks for the speedy reply though.