2.0 TDI Cambelt change & warranty situation

funkycat

Reaction score
My A3 had its 1st service yesterday, so had a look through the service book to see what work would be done.

All fine and dandy for 1st service. However, I did notice that the service book states that the camshaft drive belt and roller would be replaced at 80,000 miles. My old A41.9 TDI was 60,000 miles.
I asked my dealer about this, on the basis of what would happen if the belt went pop between 60k and 80k when the car is out of warranty, their reply was that in such a case they would have to speak to Audi UK on an case
by case basis.

Do you guys feel this is right, surely if Audi state 80,000 miles, and it went before that, they would be liable for the cost, even if the car was out of warranty having exceeded 60,000 miles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Interested in anyone's thoughts comments on this dilema. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Oh, for those who are interested, the service cost £201 inc VAT, mileage at just a shade over 18k. Dealer was Parklands Audi in Gloucester who offer an excellent service I have to say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Funkycat.

[ QUOTE ]
My A3 had its 1st service yesterday, so had a look through the service book to see what work would be done.

All fine and dandy for 1st service. However, I did notice that the service book states that the camshaft drive belt and roller would be replaced at 80,000 miles. My old A41.9 TDI was 60,000 miles.
I asked my dealer about this, on the basis of what would happen if the belt went pop between 60k and 80k when the car is out of warranty, their reply was that in such a case they would have to speak to Audi UK on an case
by case basis.

Do you guys feel this is right, surely if Audi state 80,000 miles, and it went before that, they would be liable for the cost, even if the car was out of warranty having exceeded 60,000 miles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Interested in anyone's thoughts comments on this dilema. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Oh, for those who are interested, the service cost £201 inc VAT, mileage at just a shade over 18k. Dealer was Parklands Audi in Gloucester who offer an excellent service I have to say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Funkycat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this has been mentioned many times on other forums. I think the outcome was :

1.80,000 is only a guideline and not a guarantee
2. If you had failure and had a full Audi service history then Audi UK would cover some / most of the cost, but unlikely all of it.
3. If you didn't have full service history, then tough luck