2.0 Tdi BLB engine advice

stu_m

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My brother has a A4 avant with the above engine fitted

it has around 130k on the clock and he has offered me it fairly cheap!

I have read bits about oil pump failures and did warn him before he bought it but he went ahead anyway

I know you can buy parts to replace the oil pump and balance shaft etc

The car has always had a little shudder when driving at a certain revs and while sat stationary I am guessing this is all related!

What I am wondering is if its worth a punt on buying it off him and doing the oil pump myself or do I just stay away from it?

We have two cars in the house and I would use it 3 times a week to get to work which is a couple of miles away and for the odd tip run it would just be a banger and nothing more

Thoughts?
Thanks
Stu

Shudder probably broken cogs in throttle body.

BLB chain driven oil pump module best converted to gear with the remanufactured modified balancer shaft keyway and longer 100mm oil pump drive key .

Kit 12

https://www.kmbpartsdirect.co.uk/shop/oil_pumps.html#kit12

More costly than BRE as that is already gear driven .

Thanks for that

Looking at the price of that you have made my mind up to forget it!

The cost will just push the price up way too much for what I am after paying!

to cover around 1500 miles a year its not really worth it

Hi,i just fitted an 1.9 tdi oil pump replacement kit,with ballance shaft delete ,on the same engine.so no more problems with it.

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

It's a nice idea but twin Lanchester balancer shafts are there for an engineering reason !

Deleting balancer shafts is along the same poor thinking as SMF in place of DMF .

Hi iv just fitted a BKD engine no my old a4 with the BLB engine.
I got a bair engine for £200 with 90k miles on it. It was quite straight forward. The only extra bit I had to get was a new 1.9 TDI pick up pipe and MODIFIED the end of it so the BLB (ie grind about 10mm) off so the sump fits. It runs PERFECTLY.
The BKD engine does not have any balance shafts and I would say it does not run any worse than the BLB engine with the balance shafts.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Balancer shafts are even used in smoother petrol engines , so you can see the point in a diesel .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_shaft

They become more crucial the larger the engine and especially a 4 pot .

I've two, four pot dervs , a 1.9 with no balancer shafts and a 2.1 with , and it's night and day..