1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0 TDI BKD Slow Start When Warm

TitaniumTom May 31, 2018

1. TitaniumTom

TitaniumTom Member

Hi,

I've searched and this seems a common issue on all marques with the BKD, but haven't found a proper solution so far.

When cold it starts fine. When warm it takes several turns, to the point I think it's not going to start, but then fires up fine.

Seems worse the warmer the engine is, so if I just pop into the shop for 5 minutes it takes longer than if I'm in there 15 minutes. The outside temp seems to make no difference. It runs fine once started and averaging 55-60mpg.

Just scanned with VCDS and found no engine faults at all. Had an overboost fault with limp mode last week but that was probably my fault with a very hard boot onto the dual carriageway lol. I don't think it's linked.

Battery is fairly new, magic eye is green and I had it tested as 'good condition' by a garage. Alternator is less than 2 years old and seems to charge fine. Could a worn starter only be dodgy when warm? I have noticed an aftermarket temp sensor replacement in the recent history - could that be giving false readings? Anything else I can check? Would rather fix it before it fails to start altogether but can't afford to randomly throw parts at it either.

Thanks
    Tom

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. bobby singh

bobby singh BSR VCDS Map User TDi Audi A4 quattro

Where are you based?
    You basically need a 'hot start fix' in the map.
    Over the years you get resistance built up on wiring etc which causes the engine to crank slower. If the ECU doesn't see a certain crank speed it doesn't inject fuel and therefore doesn't start the car.

If you are around Heathrow I can do this for you if not find a decent tuner locally.

Cheers
    Bobby

4. TitaniumTom

TitaniumTom Member

Thanks for the info Bobby, I'm right on the East Coast though.