2.0 TDi BIG PROBLEMS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bowfer said:
Just noticed it's not even a 2.0tdi you have !!!!
Correct. All of my engines have been petrol, except one which was TDI, but I only kept that 3 months.

I suppose it is possible that Audi's petrol engines don't suffer from undue oil use, but if the problem was wildly varying build tolerances, it would apply to their petrol engines too.

mfspen said:
I suppose it is possible that Audi's petrol engines don't suffer from undue oil use, but if the problem was wildly varying build tolerances, it would apply to their petrol engines too.

I don't agree that problems with one type of engine should translate to the entire range.
Are they built on the same line ?
Dunno.
Are they built using the same components, component supplier and materials ?
It would be daft to suggest they do, as they are completely different engines.
So it is ENTIRELY possible that the tdi has problems the petrol doesn't.
If you buy a 2.0tdi, you MAY (repeat,may) have problems with excessive oil consumption and/or coolant loss.

Firstly VON MAXIMO why would i be jealous of an A3? If i wanted an A3 i would have just bought one as there cheapest in the Audi range you ****** bonehead, i opted for a higher model, jealous????? I laugh back right in your fat festering face, secondly you **** i was just trying to help people on this forum, for the sceptical ones amongst yourselves like i give a ***** whether you believe me or not, just tryin to help, all i know is what i've seen, oh and i suppose A3SIMON is talkin ******** too is he????? Ignore it, only until your crank falls out, thats the point to when you can't ignore it any longer. Now you can stick your head back up your **** where it belongs, people like you grab my ****** **** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on guys, lets not start calling each other names. You two obviously have a difference of opinion.

I have a 2.0TDi and the service manager of my local Audi dealer is a personal friend. I asked him about problems with the 2.0TDi lump and he said that they had had failures but no more than any other engine. The main problem he said was with porous cylinder heads. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing your information, just adding my own findings to provide a more balanced view. I sincerely hope that you are not correct being that i own the said engine.

Oh and 46TheDoctover, I think VonMaximo was referring to 1.9TDi -> 2.0TDi not A3 -> A4.

I wonder if the bottom end failures are on cars with excessive oil consumption ?
I know the lack of oil kind of 'creeps up on you'.
You think it can't possibly need more oil already, but then the warning light comes on...again...
Perhaps, over time, the consistently low levels damage the bottom end, until it ultimately fails ?
Must admit, the first bottom end failure I've heard of in any latter day car is my mate's 156.
But that is a 70k miles car, which he was revving to well over 6500rpm when it went.

steve184 said:
Thing is thats a total of 12 engines or whatever in two dealerships out of how many millions of the things - its probably not a bad success rate 99.9%. You will find that this is the case for every type and make of engine out there! An engine is a coplex piece of kit, there are bound to be a few with manufacturing faults
Ask Honda. They have never had a VTEC engine fail through a manufacturing defect.
I don't think there are millions of Audi 2.0tdi's out there I doubt there's even a million.
The best selling car in the whole of Europe is the Vauxhall Astra and that is 437,673 units shipped. Short of a million by a ******* long chalk.

An engine failure in a car like an Audi is unacceptable in this day and age.

A4Quattro said:
The best selling car in the whole of Europe is the Vauxhall Astra and that is 437,673 units shipped. Short of a million by a ******* long chalk.

UK: Ford Focus takes Europe model lead in March
18 April 2007 | Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Article summary:
Volkswagen remained Europe's best selling brand in March but Ford's Focus took the lead as Europe's best selling car

knowing how some people fail to look after there company cars and the high oil consumption ( perhaps thats where VW are making there money !!! ) of the VW engine I can see why they go pop, I though mine was bad but it seems 1 litre per 5k isn't bad.

I have no idea what sort of mileages these are failing on, i do think bowfer has a point that its probably the less well looked after cars that are constantly running low on oil, i know people who dont top up engine oil until the oil light comes on going around roundabouts, in the end the crank cant take any more. Also by all accounts Audi have replaced a few of these outside there warranty providing the car has a full Audi warranty and the mileage is reasonable.

46TheDoctor said:
I have no idea what sort of mileages these are failing on, i do think bowfer has a point that its probably the less well looked after cars that are constantly running low on oil, i know people who dont top up engine oil until the oil light comes on going around roundabouts, in the end the crank cant take any more.

Waiting for the oil light to come on around a roundabout doesn't necessarily mean the owner is neglecting the car, to be fair.
As I said earlier, the excessive oil consumption can mean the low level creeps up on you.
You sit there thinking the oil level has to be okay, because you only chucked a litre two weeks ago, then 'bing bing bing' on comes the light...
As I've mentioned in previous threads, this is the first car I've EVER had where I MUST make sure I have a litre in the boot at all times, or I may get caught short.

marms said:
The main problem he said was with porous cylinder heads.

Mines been off the road for 10 days now and will be off for another week at least. Apparently the dealer wanted to fit a new cylinder head but Audi wouldn't give them authorisation and said the current issue was with a cylinder head dowel (whatever that is) and instructed them to replace that and the oil cooler again. They did as Audi instructed but it didn't solve the problem. Audi then asked for the cylinder head to be returned for testing. If it proves faulty they will replace it but if not then they plan to replace the cylinder head block!

If I keep quiet wonder if they'd let me keep the new A4 170 S-line auto.

How big a problem Audi have with the build quality of these engines only they know but for sure there are IMO definite problems.

Is the an A4 170 Auto ? I didn't think it came with anything more than 140ps ... how do you find the A4 to the A3 ?

roadrunner said:
If I keep quiet wonder if they'd let me keep the new A4 170 S-line auto.

How big a problem Audi have with the build quality of these engines only they know but for sure there are IMO definite problems.

sorry to hijack the thread but would be interested to hear your views on the comparison between the A3 170 and A4 170. Refinement especially.

Phil's Barber said:
sorry to hijack the thread but would be interested to hear your views on the comparison between the A3 170 and A4 170. Refinement especially.

For info the loan vehicle is new with only 400 miles on the clock. It's a lot more refined. Engine much quieter and smoother. Seating much more comfortable. Ride better despite being an S-line. Handling not quite so good IMO.

The A4 S line looks smart in black too. Altogether more impressive than I expected... shame about the shape! :)

SteveTDCi said:
Is the an A4 170 Auto ? I didn't think it came with anything more than 140ps ... how do you find the A4 to the A3 ?

Well I was told it was a 170 but to be honest I don't know and have no way of verifying it. If it is a 140 then I'm amazed cos it is very smooth and feels really quite quick.

bowfer said:
UK: Ford Focus takes Europe model lead in March
18 April 2007 | Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Article summary:
Volkswagen remained Europe's best selling brand in March but Ford's Focus took the lead as Europe's best selling car

Even so, still way way short of a million, and there will be a variety of engines.

roadrunner said:
Well I was told it was a 170 but to be honest I don't know and have no way of verifying it. If it is a 140 then I'm amazed cos it is very smooth and feels really quite quick.

According to the audi website, the A4 is 2.0 140ps or 2.5 180ps or 3.0 233ps, i'm off to test the A3 170 DSG tomorow.