2.0 TDI Belt/Chain

tyr92

Reaction score
Hey,

So my Audi A3 2.0 TDi just tipped over 80,000 miles - I got in touch with my Audi garage and they suggest I get the timing belt replaced because of this. (They said 80k/5 years)

The myAudi site says that my car doesn't have a belt, but a chain which they advise replacing at 140,000 and in the time frame field it's blank.

I got back in touch with the Audi Dealership and they said that it now needs it due to it being 5 years old. They seem to be sending mixed messages.

Does anyone know if the Audi A3 3-Door 2.0 TDi is belt or chain driven, and the service timings/mileage on them?

Thanks!

Audi are correct. The 2.0 TDI has a belt. Originally Audi set a mileage change interval in their handbooks (typically over 100,000 miles for a diesel) but around May 2014 (date, not car manufacturing date) they introduced an overriding 5-year recommendation if the mileage was lower. When I spoke to them they suggested it was in response to issues with drivers doing a lot of short journey urban driving.

PS When I bought my car one independent dealer assured me my car had a chain - needless to say, I didn't go back. I had my belt and water pump changed after 5-years

Reactions: tyr92
Audi are correct. The 2.0 TDI has a belt. Originally Audi set a mileage change interval in their handbooks (typically over 100,000 miles for a diesel) but around May 2014 (date, not car manufacturing date) they introduced an overriding 5-year recommendation if the mileage was lower. When I spoke to them they suggested it was in response to issues with drivers doing a lot of short journey urban driving.

PS When I bought my car one independent dealer assured me my car had a chain - needless to say, I didn't go back. I had my belt and water pump changed after 5-years

Many thanks, I'll get it changed at it's next service (1,200 miles).