2.0 tdi any good?

Ricky Burrows

Reaction score
As most of you know I parted ways with the lovely misano red saloon BUT I'm planning on coming back....sort of, I've posted this same question on the A3 8p part but minimal responses so I thought id ask here as if I remember right there was a few people running the 2.0 tdi engine, let me back track and put some context to where im going.

So I'm going to surprise the mrs with a facelift A3 sportback 8p so roughly 2008-2011 ish shape I think for Christmas or possibly her birthday (January), my question is are the 2.0 tdi (140) engines any good/potential issue or fixes that need to be done? I plan on modding it (obviously) so a remap will be top of the list along with some exterior mods but mostly it will be bought to save fuel as her current car is shockingly bad and also add a small level of performance that I'm hoping a mapped diesel will give her.

So in a nut shell are they worth getting? I need a relatively quick, reliable good mpg car?

Thank you.

Others may disagree but I've had nothing but good experience with this engine. Ran a B7 from new to 115k with zero issues also had an 8P A3 which had the same engine and regularly got 60+ mpg zero issues. Currently run a C6 A6 on 128k again zero engine issues. So my experience is that they're fairly bullet proof, just keep on top of servicing and maintainence.

Wifey has got a GTD Golf same engine effectively, really enjoy the torque levels and economy.

Reactions: Ricky Burrows and Charlie Farley
Agree with above , also i think a lot depends on previous owners and servicing, you can get a good one or a bad one.
If it's been a one-owner car with a good history then no reason to worry to much, if it has a more varied ownership with sketchy history then possibly more to be on the lookout for.

And is that an "M" on the driveway Ricky..

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
Others may disagree but I've had nothing but good experience with this engine. Ran a B7 from new to 115k with zero issues also had an 8P A3 which had the same engine and regularly got 60+ mpg zero issues. Currently run a C6 A6 on 128k again zero engine issues. So my experience is that they're fairly bullet proof, just keep on top of servicing and maintainence.

Wifey has got a GTD Golf same engine effectively, really enjoy the torque levels and economy.
The more I've looked into it the more that little 140 engine seems to be in everything I cant believe they use the same engine to power an A1 as they do an A6 so surely its doing something right lol appreciate the feedback its a good piece of mind :)

Agree with above , also i think a lot depends on previous owners and servicing, you can get a good one or a bad one.
If it's been a one-owner car with a good history then no reason to worry to much, if it has a more varied ownership with sketchy history then possibly more to be on the lookout for.

And is that an "M" on the driveway Ricky..
Think your right there Rob full service history and low owners should be a good a start as any followed by some luck, an "M" as in Mercedes yes but not an "M" BMW that's a swear word in my house lol

Reactions: daytonamart
I've been very happy with my BRE Ricky. Mines one of the last ('08), and was an ex-demonstrator, one previous owner. She's now on 165k and has been very reliable, and had her remapped to 180bhp 2 years ago. I service her every 6k.
The main thing I would say is ensure the oil pump balance shaft is changed, that is the BRE/BRD Achilles heel. It's not guaranteed to let go, but it's pointless doing anything else without that piece of mind.

Reactions: Gazwould and Ricky Burrows
I've been very happy with my BRE Ricky. Mines one of the last ('08), and was an ex-demonstrator, one previous owner. She's now on 165k and has been very reliable, and had her remapped to 180bhp 2 years ago. I service her every 6k.
The main thing I would say is ensure the oil pump balance shaft is changed, that is the BRE/BRD Achilles heel. It's not guaranteed to let go, but it's pointless doing anything else without that piece of mind.
I vaguely heard something to do with an oil pump balance shaft on Audis (probably this forum) so it is a BRE/D engine that's in that car and suffers from that issue then, what exactly is it and what's the fix? I heard the early models were the worst apparently they ironed a lot of issues out in the later years not sure how accurate that information is of course just what I've read on line ect.

It's a lot to explain, but it's any BRE/D in the B7 range and early B8s too.
A bit of light reading for you, don't give yourself nightmares, but prevention is better than cure.

The BRE is more responsive having the smaller turbo spool up quicker, and it's said that a mapped BRE is superior to a stock BRD.
And no DPF either, so you can bin the EGR valve without worries.

Reactions: Ricky Burrows and Gazwould
It's a lot to explain, but it's any BRE/D in the B7 range and early B8s too.
A bit of light reading for you, don't give yourself nightmares, but prevention is better than cure.

The BRE is more responsive having the smaller turbo spool up quicker, and it's said that a mapped BRE is superior to a stock BRD.
And no DPF either, so you can bin the EGR valve without worries.
Ok thanks for that ill give it a read things like this id rather know from people with actual experience so its a massive help thanks and ill double check what engine code is actually in the 8p A3 as well.

Looks like the engine code is CBAB or CFFB, I'm assuming all the 140 engines share 90% of the parts (hence my post here) with the exception of revision's ect along the way possibly making the engine codes slightly different :shrug:

CFFB will have the revised 100mm oil pump drive .

CBAB may have either the above or the 77mm planned obsolescence time bomb .

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
CFFB will have the revised 100mm oil pump drive .

CBAB may have either the above or the 77mm planned obsolescence time bomb .
Ok seems like they advertise that engine in similar years on the A3's so i guess its luck of the draw, at least i know what needs to be done now though if it has the 77mm thanks a lot guys brilliant help as always :icon thumright:

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper