2.0 tdi 2007 bre engine MPG issues

Johnjones

Reaction score
I have found i'm only getting 38mpg which is much less than the 1.9tdi A4 I used to have. It's had a new fuel filter and service, tyres pressures are fine, no fault codes, 18 inch wheels, temperature guage sits at 90 degrees. 165k on the clock. Timing belt was done recently and the timing was set back to zero (was retarded a couple of degrees) Any ideas what could cause this excessive fuel consumption? I've been told it could be something to do with the throttle?

Hi there, I've put fuel cleaner through the last two tank fulls already...

I have found i'm only getting 38mpg which is much less than the 1.9tdi A4 I used to have. It's had a new fuel filter and service, tyres pressures are fine, no fault codes, 18 inch wheels, temperature guage sits at 90 degrees. 165k on the clock. Timing belt was done recently and the timing was set back to zero (was retarded a couple of degrees) Any ideas what could cause this excessive fuel consumption? I've been told it could be something to do with the throttle?

SOLVED

Changing the timing sorted this out.
You can actually adjust the timing quite easily by vcds and removing the timing belt cover then undoing the 3 bolts and levering the other bolt with a screwdriver. With my timing advanced slightly to 3.4 degrees,it uses much less fuel. You can see the litre/ min on vcds and adjust accordingly.

Was this the right hand cam? Did it effect drivability because I had murder with my timing being out and it stunk to high heaven.