2.0 TDI 190 vs 2.0 TDI Ultra 190

peterw47

Reaction score
Hi all, I can't work out why there is an option to go for the 2.0 TDI 190 S Tronic vs the 2.0 TDI Ultra 190 S Tronic. In Saloon S Line MPG, CO2 and price are exactly the same for non-Ultra and Ultra engine. For Avant the CO2 is down by 1g for Ultra.

I know you can't have comfort suspension on Ultra and they have low rolling resistance tyres (why wouldn't you want these? Do you have a trade off for grip?)

Surely these two things are not the sole reason for having a different engine option? I can't work it out...

Ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Differences I can see are:
  • Higher top speed for the "standard" TDI (147 vs 130 for the saloon)
  • Higher max trailer load on a gradient for the "standard" TDI
  • Option for 18" or 19" wheels on the "standard" TDI, not on the Ultra
  • Don't think you can get S-line trim on the Ultra
  • Suspension etc. as you mention above
Depends if any of those matter to you or not, if not then the economy of the Ultras looks great!

I've just ordered an S Line with the 2.0 190PS Ultra TDI. It's a recent addition to the S Line range and isn't listed in the brochure yet. I have the 18" Dynamic alloys coming, but the 19's are an option.

I don't see why you wouldn't spec the Ultra?

I've just ordered an S Line with the 2.0 190PS Ultra TDI. It's a recent addition to the S Line range and isn't listed in the brochure yet. I have the 18" Dynamic alloys coming, but the 19's are an option.

I don't see why you wouldn't spec the Ultra?

If you don't want the lower 20mm suspension on the S Line you have to have the non-ultra engine. With the Ultra you have to have the lowered suspension. That's what my dealer told me. I think it is something to do with company car owners and tax bands.

Reactions: Inverted
Ah, fair enough. I've always got on with the S line sports suspension so was never a problem for me. I like the sportier ride. What will be interesting is the low road rolling resistance tyres. Apparently they are just a different compound, size etc are the same as the standard 245/40 R18's and are supposed to be as good. Begs the question why they aren't standard across the range yet?

Incidentally, is everyone getting Hankook tyres? Never had those before, and seems an odd change from Audi?

All new Audis have Hankook tyres.

You CAN'T order the Ultra with the 19" wheels! But I don't see any reason for not being able to fit them aftermarket.

The wheel reason was why I opted for my 'normal' 190.

It's good to see everyone has different ideas about what they want on the car. I chose a couple of other options for the extra cost of the 19's. Still think I'll be chuffed with the 18" dynamics. Haven't seen any around so far....

It's good to see everyone has different ideas about what they want on the car. I chose a couple of other options for the extra cost of the 19's. Still think I'll be chuffed with the 18" dynamics. Haven't seen any around so far....
I have the 18" Dynamics and mine came with Bridgestone tyres from new...

I got Michelin primacy 3s on my ultra sport

Maybe the Ultra models have different tyres as they are meant to reduce rolling resistance.

Incidentally, I managed to get a loan 190 TDi up to 62mpg so not far off the claimed 65mpg. I'm still breaking my 190 in so it's a little bit off that figure at the moment.

It would be interesting to know if the Ultra gets anywhere near its claimed 74mpg in the real world.

I'm getting average of 53mpg at the moment. I can get it over 60mpg on a good run. This is from the computer though, I've not calculated anything! Range on a full tank shows as 620 miles.

Mine is the Avant 190, but don't think that makes a huge difference to mpg

I've also got the 54l fuel tank and only ever managed to get it up to 47l in, but I've not braved it down to fumes yet. Maybe 20-30miles after warning light.

My avant ultra got a calculated average of 61 mpg over a 1800 mile trip to the alps and back with a fully loaded car.