2.0 TDI 170 what mod next?

RedDejavu

Reaction score
Website
www.sunnytree.co.uk
Ok, at the moment I've got DPF removed and Custom Code map what gives 230bhp, however I'm thinking of getting even more power but not sure what to do next. Hence my question what mod should I get next?

Milltek exhaust & Air intake maybe? not sure about what power gain it gives and if its worth doing
Hybrid turbo & clutch? expensive I assume.
injectors?
any other upgrade comes to mind?

I would be happy to get extra 20-30 bhp tops somehow:yes:. Please if someone could help me out I would really appreciate:]. Thank you

haha good one but cant be asked with selling it and getting S3 to be honest, so much hassle but to be fair I was very close to do so 2 months ago untill I got DPF done and car is really rapid now:p Tested against Focus ST and they are even. Oh and fuel economy/insurance is quite important factor as well.

How much did the dpf removal set you back if you dont mind me asking??

Also when you put your foot down now does it chuck out black smoke from the back??

DPF removal + map cost me £745 which isnt cheap but what you get is much more responsive throttle, better mpg if drive light and massive torque/better sound. In terms of smoke is not that bad to be fair, yes you get some but its not that noticeable and you get it only when heavy accelerate, might do video if you want to have proper look:].

Last edited:
haha good one but cant be asked with selling it and getting S3 to be honest, so much hassle but to be fair I was very close to do so 2 months ago untill I got DPF done and car is really rapid now:p Tested against Focus ST and they are even. Oh and fuel economy/insurance is quite important factor as well.
Fair comment mate.I think you are pretty close to your safe limit at the mo.Has it made much differance to your insurance costs??Is there that much diff without the dpf?I have an a4 170 and am tinkering with the idea

insurance was just £25 extra so nothing really, fuel consumpion remains the same but its much easier to get like 40-45mpg doing steady drive or around 30mpg when you hammer it which is obvious. You can feel that the engine goes alive when you rev it, its not lazy anymore and far more agressive and God 5th gear pulls like 4th:]. Sure you get some smoke but not much, nothing that would be hard to live with:]. Before DPF removal I ran Bluefin and must say its nothing in comparison to JBS custom code with DPF removal.

I was looking at this but ive already paid £300 for a remap and if i get a dpf removal pipe i will have to get another custom remap which would be like £800 for the extra 25bhp :p

Any change in the sound of the car?

A video would be good mate and maybe some pics!

Will get one as soon as i get back home.

I was looking at this but ive already paid £300 for a remap and if i get a dpf removal pipe i will have to get another custom remap which would be like £800 for the extra 25bhp :p

Any change in the sound of the car?

Thats what I thought in the first place but to be fair even after remap with DPF engine feels still lazy and not responsive and regenerates more often. Sound is bit different without the thing, slightly louder. Will post video shortly so you can check if its suits you or not.

Im currently debating whether to get dpf delete and map. Where did you get yours done am based in manchester. never had issues with dpf but like you i want more power and pull lol.

Cheers

Ok, at the moment I've got DPF removed and Custom Code map what gives 230bhp, however I'm thinking of getting even more power but not sure what to do next. Hence my question what mod should I get next?

Milltek exhaust & Air intake maybe? not sure about what power gain it gives and if its worth doing
Hybrid turbo & clutch? expensive I assume.
injectors?
any other upgrade comes to mind?

I would be happy to get extra 20-30 bhp tops somehow:yes:. Please if someone could help me out I would really appreciate:]. Thank you
Has the car been on an independent dyno to know what bhp it is running? Bigger turbo or injectors will mean another remap. Exhaust will help a bit and a panel filter is only £40 odd not that it makes much difference.

Thanks for your reply devonmikeyboy. Taking it for a dyno run probably next week so will know exact figures. In terms of exhaust and panel filter i read they hardly make any difference and sometimes you get even less bhp? Would be happy if someone could justify it for me:sly:

If i was you would get a full milltek

I wanted one but as i have a quattro i need a 'custom' pipe which is en extra £300 or something silly :(

I'll buy your S3 if you change the steering for left hand driving :)
I'm also with DPF off and cars much better.
You could go for hybrid turbo , maybe the 3.0 tdi one with new engine map

Thanks for your reply devonmikeyboy. Taking it for a dyno run probably next week so will know exact figures. In terms of exhaust and panel filter i read they hardly make any difference and sometimes you get even less bhp? Would be happy if someone could justify it for me:sly:

Panel filter makes sod all difference power wise but a lot of people seem to like to do it. The backbox is a restriction in the exhaust system. Fitting a DPF back exhaust from either Milltek or a custom exhaust place will help. On turbo diesels you can remove the entire exhaust and can only gain power as turbo`s don`t need back pressure. Only if you had a naturally aspirated car petrol/diesel do you need to worry about back pressure on the exhaust.

If i was you would get a full milltek

I wanted one but as i have a quattro i need a 'custom' pipe which is en extra £300 or something silly :(

Just get a custom exhaust place to make one. Milltek are OK but nothing special and any make of exhaust has to follow the same route.

How are you getting 230 on a stock turbo safely, I certainly wouldnt want to run that without a hybrid, hence why I did that very thing, whats your take on this Mike?

i think hes using the max figures they quote. id expect it to be near 210

i think hes using the max figures they quote. id expect it to be near 210
Didnt have a chance to get dyno run done straight after fitting but they quoted it should run approx 220-230. I'm doing dyno run next week so will know exact figures. By this ocasion where would I get good hybrid turbo from? Any ideas please. An what cost would that be. Thanks

sounds good. all it needs now is the exhaust removin :)

Sat Nav is fitted:p.

DSC01096.jpg

DSC01097.jpg

Not sure if the 140 exhausts fit the 170 models without any adaptions, I know Milltek don't list anything for the 170 models so may be worth looking into a custom job, but would definately recommend the Green Cotton Filter if you haven't got one already, these are the ultimate in breathing:-
Standard Replacement Filter - JBS

If anyone has any questions regarding the DPF delete service please feel free to either call on 01246 455005 or email direct on office@jbsautodesigns.co.uk.

Seb Hampson
Parts/Sales Advisor