2.0 TDI 170 - Risky for low miles?

DaveyClark

Reaction score
Hey folks, so my last post was worrying about buying a Black Edition due to the risk of theft and all that goes with it, however I have come across a few 'cheaper' S Line models which are earlier (06/07) but still have a decent spec.

So just a few questions if you could help...

1) Are they STILL as desirable to thiefs? (170 2.0TDI S line) no Sat nav or Xenons or Rotor wheels though!

2) I do about 1000 miles a month if that, whilst some would say it is silly to consider a diesel for those miles, it's more a case of me trying to find the right car for the price, and sometimes they are diesels, plus they are the only decent bhp car unless I went for the 2.0 TFSI but i'd rather get a little better mpg! (I have owned the MK5 Golf GTI was lovely but not great mpg!)
Is this a problem with the DPF? A lot of short journeys, but I would be willing to take it for a blast now and then if that helps?

3) Are there big problems with the 2.0 TDI 170 engines in the earlier models? I had a Leon FR 170 which was the 2L CR engine (it was a 2009/59 so I am guessing it was common rail) and I never had any DPF issues at all, but isn't the Audi engine in the 56/07 models still PD instead of CR?

Appreciate some of these are idiotic questions but I am just a nervous person who thinks a lot (too much!) :)

I can't believe that the Black Editions are any more prone to theft than an S Line. After all, it's just a few trim differences -
flat bottom steering wheel, half leather, Bose, Xenons, privacy glass, graphite or rotor alloys and a black grille. (sounds a lot when you list it I suppose)

Regarding the difference between the CR and non-CR engines, you'll notice a big difference. I was very happy with my PD140 A3, until I tried a CR140. They are so much quieter and smoother.

You can add sat nav and rotors etc.

I do about a 1000 miles a month mate. I've not had a problem in 16 months, the cars a 170CR on a 2009 plate with 51K on the clock.

So will a 56 plate 170 TDI be a PD engine? I always used to think they would be CR as Audi got the tech first, the Leon's from 2009+ got the CR170.

Well its only my second car, not had any issues with engine or dpf. Have now had car re-mapped and removed dpf and still no issues.

They do use a fair bit of oil though, wasnt quite aware of how much it went through.

The engine itself is alot louder on tick over to my friends CR140, and i would describe the PD has more of a "grunt" characteristic as apose to a smooth acceleration...

Jonny.

Utterly pointless to get the TDI for that kind of mileage. The 2.0T is far better, it'd only be a few quid a month more in fuel.

And yes there are plenty of problems with DPFs if you do short journeys.

They do use a fair bit of oil though, wasnt quite aware of how much it went through.

The engine itself is alot louder on tick over to my friends CR140, and i would describe the PD has more of a "grunt" characteristic as apose to a smooth acceleration...

I totally agree with this. The PD is a bit more agricultural in comparison, but by no means is it a bad engine. I think the PD seemed a bit more torquey in higher gears, but the CR is a lot better in the lower gears. 1st gear in the PD was totally useless, and needed a lot more pedal movement to get anywhere compared to 2nd gear for example. The CR has a much better 1st gear and this makes it easier and smoother to drive. I'm not sure if this is an engine, gearbox or ECU thing though.
My PD used oil too (not leaking or visibly burning it), but still less than the handbook said was an acceptable amount. My new CR doesn't use a drop.

The CR engines were only released when the facelift came out. AFAIK there aren't any pre-facelift A3's using the CR engine.

"And yes there are plenty of problems with DPFs if you do short journeys"

1000 miles a month wouldn't be a problem for the DPF unless you never venture onto a motorway or dual carriageway.

Utterly pointless to get the TDI for that kind of mileage. The 2.0T is far better, it'd only be a few quid a month more in fuel.

And yes there are plenty of problems with DPFs if you do short journeys.

No it's not. I do that mileage and mine is fine

Read his post, although he does 1k a month he says its short journeys but would be willing to "take it for a blast" now and again.

This is not what diesels are for.

He also said he had a Leon with the same engine and a DPF and that was fine, so presumably his journey lengths/speeds are adequate to keep the DPF clean.

Dave, it's not necessarily a case of me driving 7 miles to work and back on a 60 road every day and nothing else, I do go on dual carriageways and motorways, and some months would exceed that mileage, whilst I know it does not fit the diesel 'profile' what I originally mentioned in my post was I was looking for the right 'car' so it was only based on the price and spec/color it just so happens to be a TDI that I am looking at, if there was a 2L TFSI I would probably look, but I do remember them being poor on mpg (05 MK5 GTI used to do between 28-35) and I was always at the petrol station, the last 4 cars I have owned have all been diesels, no DPF issues on any of them, but they were all CR engines.

Sod what anyone else thinks, if you don't do mega miles so what? Maybe you like the torque and feel of a diesel, also it's OK people saying get a petrol because the cost is only a tad more but it's easy to spend someone else money isn't it? Yeah fair enough diesels are more expensive to buy but as said above if that's what you prefer to drive then that's what you prefer!

Personally i don't think you'll have an issue with the car however there is always an element of risk with any second hand car you buy.

Buy what you like, if it feels good DO IT. :yes:

As said if it's pre-facelift 06-57 it will be a PD engine. Very small chance of seeing an 08 plate that is pre-facelift. I have a 57 PD 170, it's a good engine IMO, quick when you need it and very responsive, mpg is pretty good.

It has good and bad days interms of noise, it's wierd but sometimes I think it's really noisy, other time it seems ok - but it's not a patch on the refinement of the newer CR engines.