2.0 TDI 170 Quattro Or 140 2wd?

soulsurfer

Reaction score
Website
www.xdents.co.uk
Looking at A3 2.0 tdi Black Editions I always thought I'd look for a140bhp two wheel drive, until a dealer sent me info for a 170bhp Quattro, on top of his I repaired a dent for a guy with an A4 Quattro who sang its praises. So should I entertain 170 bhp and/or Quattro and what are the VED and insurance implications in comparison?

Owned a 170 2wd a few years back. Found the torque was too much for the manual box, was constantly changing gears. Would look at the DSG/S-Tronic if going that route again.

Have heard the 140 is more tunable, DPF can cause issues tuning the 170 unless you get it removed.

The 170 Quattro is fantastic, a very capable machine. We have one and its a brilliant all rounder. Just check its suitable for what you need as its going to give you DPF issues if you only do short round town journeys, having said that remap it DPF delete giving bucket loads of torque!

Learn how to use the Quattro correctly and have faith in it as you need to keep on the power on smoothly and progressively to allow it to pull you out of the bends.

Hope this helps

Quattro if your tuning i have the 140 and it wheel spins in 1st and 2nd with 19" wheels

I'd go for the 170 Quattro if I was buying again, my remapped 2wd 140 struggles to put the power down.

Aah, some real division here separating the boy racers :lol:

I have no intention of tuning or remapping, so is 170 better than 140, and if i go for 140 should I go with or without Quattro?

I got the 170 2wd version and have no trouble putting the power down whilst running 205bhp and 320lbs ft torque. Power is controlled by your right foot. If i wanted too I could get the wheels spinning in 3rd and 4th depending on conditions i.e damp roads

i went 2wd as I wanted the extra boot space and better fuel economy. For my the majority driving the 'Quattro' system (its not permanent 4wd drive like the A4) is largely redundant so i didnt fancy lugging the extra weight around. If people want to argue about when it snows etc I fitted winter tyres to mine and NEVER got stuck once. A decent set of winter tyres is cheaper than maintaining the Quattro system IMO

go drive both versions and make your own mind up :)

From driving many many of each, I prefer the 2wd as it is quicker, more economical and easier on the clutch. A quattro does have its place though, and depending on the roads you drive on it maybe more suitable,

Rick

Reactions: Rhyso
I got the 170 2wd version and have no trouble putting the power down whilst running 205bhp and 320lbs ft torque. Power is controlled by your right foot. If i wanted too I could get the wheels spinning in 3rd and 4th depending on conditions i.e damp roads

i went 2wd as I wanted the extra boot space and better fuel economy. For my the majority driving the 'Quattro' system (its not permanent 4wd drive like the A4) is largely redundant so i didnt fancy lugging the extra weight around. If people want to argue about when it snows etc I fitted winter tyres to mine and NEVER got stuck once. A decent set of winter tyres is cheaper than maintaining the Quattro system IMO

go drive both versions and make your own mind up :)

I agree. My current A3 is a 2.0TDI-170 2wd and I have no problem with getting the power down. It's all down to how you use your right foot. If you just push it to the floor the wheels will spin. If that's all you do you should learn to drive!