2.0 TDi 170 PD - What Oil?

AvantMike

Reaction score
Hi Guys & Girls,
I'm finding comments around the web that note that the 170 PD (and probably 140 PD) engines need a particular engine oil, rather than whatever is lying around the garage at the time.

Does anyone know what oil should be used?

I use Castrol Edge FST 5w30 VW 504 00/ 507 00

Reactions: AvantMike
Whilst I've found a fellow 170 BRD owner... any thoughts on oil pump balancer issues for your car Andy?

Oil Pump drive gave up at 102k miles. Replaced with an uprated unit. Also needed a new turbo due to oil starvation.

Oil Pump drive gave up at 102k miles. Replaced with an uprated unit. Also needed a new turbo due to oil starvation.
Thanks Andy - mines just done 85k so sounds like it's the time-bomb everyone else has got.

Thanks Andy - mines just done 85k so sounds like it's the time-bomb everyone else has got.

Its normally around 100k they go. I have heard of cars with higher mileages that have not yet failed. However as you say it could be a ticking time bomb. The hex drive design is very weak. It is criminal that Audi did not do a recall.

It is indeed - I don't understand what their criteria for a recall would be, I can see in the history for my car they recalled on the injectors circa 2007/2008 (from memory) but why wouldn't you recall on the oil pump... unless of course they think it's so far down the road (excuse the pun) that it'll be well outside warranty and probably an issue for owner number 2 or 3.

A good quality oil is one of the most important thing for a good car work. There are a lot of high quality oils, and when I was looking for the information about them, I found this article https://carfluidsexpert.com/best-oil-for-audi-a4/ about engine oil for Audi A4. I recommend reading it, as you will find the list of oils with the description of all pros and cons.

Go to TPS and get the Quantum oil that they will use in the Dealership.

I've been advised by TPS (and others) to use 5w40 once engine is over 100k on the 2.0 TDI

Reactions: DieselJake and Pie-eyedpiper
I've been using this for nearly 20 yrs in all my Audi/VW/Skoda/ SEATs, 2.0 and 2.4l petrol, 1.9, 2.0 and 2.5l diesel.
I got a good deal on 200l and still have about 80l left.
Never been a problem, with regular oil changes, it's been in my bus for the past 50k.
10w40

IMG 20200623 182703678 copy 3024x2268

Reactions: DieselJake
Not looking good... 16 year old oil and ancient VW oil specs too that will have no where near the level of the performance peramiters of more modern oil specs .

Surprised it's labeled as fully synthetic as most 10W40 are semi .

To sumerise it reminds me of buying door edge protectors , cheap and the thinking is it will protect but for decades have been doing the opposite by creating utter carnage .

Not looking good... 16 year old oil and ancient VW oil specs too that will have no where near the level of the performance peramiters of more modern oil specs .

Surprised it's labeled as fully synthetic as most 10W40 are semi .

To sumerise it reminds me of buying door edge protectors , cheap and the thinking is it will protect but for decades have been doing the opposite by creating utter carnage .

And the bus is my latest car. With a 12yr old engine and 6 mthly oil changes.

Maybe I am stretching the shelf life a bit, and if it was mineral oil it would have gone bad by now.
But as VW have labelled it as synthetic and their R&D (or rather Sylkalene/Fuchs probably) dept consider it so, it won't have deteriorated in quite the same way.

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/18/what-is-the-shelf-life-of-motor-oil/

And the bus is my latest car. With a 12yr old engine and 6 mthly oil changes.

Maybe I am stretching the shelf life a bit, and if it was mineral oil it would have gone bad by now.
But as VW have labelled it as synthetic and their R&D (or rather Sylkalene/Fuchs probably) dept consider it so, it won't have deteriorated in quite the same way.

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/18/what-is-the-shelf-life-of-motor-oil/

What is latest car , engine , engine code ?

Go to TPS and get the Quantum oil that they will use in the Dealership.

I've been advised by TPS (and others) to use 5w40 once engine is over 100k on the 2.0 TDI

The misinformation on oil I hear is incredible , nothing else comes close .

Holy Smokes , drain today and fill with 507.00 as the damage may of begun .

How many miles on the 10W40 505.00 ?

Has to have a very high level of anti wear due to high loadings because of the narrow camshaft lobes due to lack of space due to the wide PD unit injector lobes .

50k.
My engine should be in pieces by now.

How many PD engines do you know that have been wrecked by using the wrong oil instead of oil pump failure due to hex key damage?

I don't understand your last statement.
But I might just get this for my next service, just in case.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153980869897

More on the earlier cars as PD oil was new , I can't recall anyone getting it wrong with a B7 .

What makes you think 5W-40 505.01 is better than 5W-30 507.00 ?

I haven't got it wrong either.
I know exactly what I'm putting in my car.
I didn't say it was better. 507.00 seems to be aimed at longlife oil changes, not 6k.
Would you have thought 50k was a fair milage to asses if it was suitable?

I haven't got it wrong either.
I know exactly what I'm putting in my car.
I didn't say it was better. 507.00 seems to be aimed at longlife oil changes, not 6k.
Would you have thought 50k was a fair milage to asses if it was suitable?

If an oil is a LongLife oil it has and in this case has a higher concentration package containing more anti oxidents , friction modifiers , more detergents and dispersants , the oil basestock groups are higher too containing proper synthetics PAO and Esters which resist higher temperatures for longer and PAO can hold more detergent .

Therefore the oil is of high quality and 505.01 is medium quality .

Put the higher quality oil in for 6K changes.

VW AUDI and their stupid stupid marketing .

If an oil is a LongLife oil it has and in this case has a higher concentration package containing more anti oxidents , friction modifiers , more detergents and dispersants , the oil basestock groups are higher too containing proper synthetics PAO and Esters which resist higher temperatures for longer and PAO can hold more detergent .

Therefore the oil is of high quality and 505.01 is medium quality .

Put the higher quality oil in for 6K changes.

VW AUDI and their stupid stupid marketing .

So what's your expert opinion of these then? They both meet the 507.00 spec.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202952051186

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202859221716

What car do you drive anyway?

1.9 TDI PD AVF and Merc C 250 CDI OM651 , both get the 507.00 as MB 229.51 229.52 isn't all that .

Mannol is the more familiar , even non approved supermarket oil is good ( Tetrosyl ) , a spec is a spec .

Oh dear it's the oil police again :busted cop:

Regular changes are key, personally only use 5w40 or 0w40 and go for branded stuff as I'm a snob :icon thumright: can tell me supermarket oil, fuel or whatever is fine as it meets "standards" still not using it, each to their own, wouldn't run 5w30 for "longlife" as many of us won't.

This is what I mean , there is little understanding , I can produce a ton of information from multi sources .

505.01 Vs 507.00 , SOLVED...

20200624 212037

Last edited:
None of us are likely to have catastrophic failure due to oil choice and your continued want to post biased information unrelated to grade just referencing what what test it passed says all we need to know.

There are some strange people about..

I asked a few that have camshaft issues and 505.01 came back , it protects less , fact.

If two different grade oils are of the same quality level the thicker will protect more.

However there is a difference in quality level , the 30 grade is higher due to it's ingredients !

Thicker viscosity does not dictate protection between a 30 and 40 grades .

The new 0W20 there is a difference and this oil truly is aimed at economy .

1.9 TDI PD AVF and Merc C 250 CDI OM651 , both get the 507.00 as MB 229.51 229.52 isn't all that .

Mannol is the more familiar , even non approved supermarket oil is good ( Tetrosyl ) , a spec is a spec .

Both made by STC, Mannol being the better known.
Some good reviews though.

There are some strange people about..

I asked a few that have camshaft issues and 505.01 came back , it protects less , fact.

If two different grade oils are of the same quality level the thicker will protect more.

Puzzling.
As 505.01 is for PD engines too.

It's an earlier lesser spec PD oil and kept it for annual servicing !!

Can't see the sense when there's a do it all universal high quality petrol diesel LongLife oil 3-10 cylinder RS monsters.

Just looking at your 1997 502.00 505.00 performance peramiters and it's looking very scary.

It's an earlier lesser spec PD oil and kept it for annual servicing !!

Can't see the sense when there's a do it all universal high quality petrol diesel LongLife oil 3-10 cylinder RS monsters.

Just looking at your 1997 502.00 505.00 performance peramiters and it's looking very scary.

How scary?
50k mile scary? Am I on borrowed time again now?