Facelift 2.0 TDI (150PS)

EUxyz. It doesn't really matter. If you believe there's a political mood and will in the UK to discourage diseasals because they're (all) being demonised, then their ownership will be targeted. More to do with politics than logic. And EU influence going forwards a couple of years is also at least open to question/unknowns these days! Anyone's guess how targeting diseasals will manifest and how soon... There are stakeholders that will canvass on both sides of the argument.

If you're an individual considering a purchase, you pay you money and take your chances on what you think your total cost of owning it will be by the time you've sold it and the pleasure you'll get from it :)

Well that didn't take long, given the news today! Albeit they're not for now seeming to be targeting newer diseasals. I heard mayor of London on the radio this morning quoting his understanding that modern diseasals are actually cleaner that older petrol engines...

Well that didn't take long, given the news today! Albeit they're not for now seeming to be targeting newer diseasals. I heard mayor of London on the radio this morning quoting his understanding that modern diseasals are actually cleaner that older petrol engines...

What was the news today? I can't see anything on most websites....

Cool. Thanks for the links...doesn't really affect any of us i guess right? only change is cars bought before Sept 2015 will now pay £12.50 to enter central London which is only £1 more than normal. Thats 2 yrs away too... And who drives into central London really? i don't think i ever have.

I just hate how diesel is getting such bad rep. Its not diesel. Its the old tech/engines used. I agree with the bans on old diesels but this should apply to older petrol powered cars as it is in the EU. Again its just the media and people getting wound up for no reason, scared that they will have to pay fines cos they have a diesel. If people actually read the facts and the media didn't overblow things then it would be much simpler! For example the title of the Times: "Even modern diesel cars face £12.50 daily charge"!!! i wonder how many people realise its £1 more than normal before they s*** themselves, think the world is against them and buy a Prius.

As a side thought, i wonder how much this to do with Brexit and keeping the car manufacturing economy moving?

Last edited:
Agreed, but as I said above "It doesn't really matter. If you believe there's a political mood and will in the UK to discourage diseasals because they're (all) being demonised, then their ownership will be targeted. More to do with politics than logic."

So in my mind, all bets are off - they are being demonised now and sooner rather than later likely to affect, say, fuel prices (all diseasals), as well as the perceived attraction of any diseasal in 2nd hand market. Get a diseasal if you have a good reason. Just understand and accept whatever you think is the risk in doing so to your total cost of owning it.

(For what it's worth my last car 5 years ago was a diseasal based on the 30K miles/year I was expecting to be driving. Even then many were saying a diseasal is only worth considering at > 20K miles a year given the efficiency of modern petrols at the time. I decided to flip to petrol now especially, it happens, as my annual mileage is much lower too)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormesome
has he seen the old Taxis and Busses that drive around central London??

Reactions: Ormesome
Agreed, but as I said above "It doesn't really matter. If you believe there's a political mood and will in the UK to discourage diseasals because they're (all) being demonised, then their ownership will be targeted. More to do with politics than logic."

So in my mind, all bets are off - they are being demonised now and sooner rather than later likely to affect, say, fuel prices (all diseasals), as well as the perceived attraction of any diseasal in 2nd hand market. Get a diseasal if you have a good reason. Just understand and accept whatever you think is the risk in doing so to your total cost of owning it.

(For what it's worth my last car 5 years ago was a diseasal based on the 30K miles/year I was expecting to be driving. Even then many were saying a diseasal is only worth considering at > 20K miles a year given the efficiency of modern petrols at the time. I decided to flip to petrol now especially, it happens, as my annual mileage is much lower too)

Must say the BBC article today has cleared it up a little. The other 2 links from yesterday were a bit vague. Seems my calculations were wrong. It will be £12.50 on top of the £11.50 congestion charge for diesel cars that do not meet Euro 6 regs which i think most A3 8V's do? im pretty sure my 2014 1.6tdi is Euro 6 so im guessing it will be the same? i will check this though given the last quote iv mentioned below.

Here is the quote form the article:

"London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced on Tuesday that from April 2019 there would be a £12.50 charge - on top of the existing congestion charge - in central London for petrol cars that do not meet Euro 4 standards and diesel vehicles that do not meet Euro 6 standards"

Nice to see that petrol cars are also affected. But like @Pickle1970 mentions, it would be nice to see the taxi's and buses targeted too. Sadiq Khan has actually said they wont be, which is completely wrong.

Article here: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39499331

Little concerned by the following quote, unless they have got their facts wrong:

"According to City Hall, approximately this will mean petrol cars more than 13 years old in 2019, and diesel cars over four years old in 2019, will be charged"

Last edited:
So how do current dieasals in cars compare with current petrols? For similar power engines, are they about equally bad for the environment, or is one worse than the other?

Having written my above post, i went to the Myaudi website to check and i noticed that my 1.6tdi is Euro 5. I was recently told on this forum that it would be Euro 6. I am 100% not fussed about this as i never drive near London or any of the cities affected but would be good to get some clear view, if not just for the sake of clarity.

Screen Shot 2017 04 05 at 182350

The problem is that Petrol is better for NOX emissions but worse for CO2. Diesel is better for CO2 but worse for NOX. So it depends if you want to make the air less polluted or reduce the CO2 and help with climate control. At this rate we will have healthier people but with no planet to live on. My current 2.0 TDI-184 is a Euro 6 spec engine so the so called Toxin Tax will make no difference to me personally.