Facelift 2.0 TDI (150PS)

The Kendragon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a new 1.0 TFSI A3 Sport on order with a delivery date of some point in April. The dealer has been blanking my emails for weeks and has completely ignored the promised delivery date (1st March) so now I've had enough and I need a car!

They currently have a 2016 (66) 2.0 TDI S-Line Sportback that I'm very interested in. I'm thinking of cancelling my order and getting this instead. It's the same price as the car I ordered and the spec (as far as I can see in pictures) is as follows:

Ibis White
Privacy Glass
Comfort & Sound Pack

Basically I'm wondering how does the 2.0 TDI drive and is it worth the switch?

Thanks,

Steven :)

Despite my deep-seated hatred of all things diesel, it's probably the better car.

The 1.0 is a fine engine, but I have doubts about its desirability on the used market. Diesel in general is on the endangered list, but a new one should be fine for a good few years.

Despite my deep-seated hatred of all things diesel, it's probably the better car.

The 1.0 is a fine engine, but I have doubts about its desirability on the used market. Diesel in general is on the endangered list, but a new one should be fine for a good few years.
Thank you for the reply and I'm glad that diesel will be good for a few years to come :tearsofjoy: I test drove a 1.0 and am just wondering how the 2.0 pulls :grimacing:

Why not look for a 1.4 cod? I think you are going to do low miles - right? So diesel is maybe not the best bet.

Reactions: glospete and AudiNutta
The diesel will have much more torque so you won't be changing gear as much as in the petrol and I'm guessing that the fuel economy won't be much different. I didn't set out to buy a diesel but there are so many around they are hard to avoid.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Why not look for a 1.4 cod? I think you are going to do low miles - right? So diesel is maybe not the best bet.

I suggested this in Steven's other thread.

The diesel will have more residual, but will cost more to start with and the petrol is a nicer drive with equal power. The petrol is much more lively than the diesel too, overall the better option especially because the insurance will likely be over £1000 less.

Without mentioning it seems as if diesel is being phased out with ever increasing tax rates, more coming this autumn by all accounts. Small turbo'd petrol engines are the way forward.

Never driven the 1.0, but would imagine the 2.0 would feel a lot faster - both because it's diesel (you get that big bootfull of torque) and because of the increase in power.

The 1.4 CoD is also a good shout. It's as quick as the 2.0 TDI, though doesn't 'feel' quite as fast in my experience.

Reactions: The Kendragon and AudiNutta
My local dealer doesn't have any 1.4 CoD at the moment :( For mileage, I'll roughly be doing about 15,000 miles a year so quite a few :grin:
The diesel will have much more torque so you won't be changing gear as much as in the petrol and I'm guessing that the fuel economy won't be much different. I didn't set out to buy a diesel but there are so many around they are hard to avoid.
I have noticed a lot of diesel Audis around and the diesel Clio I learnt to drive in was lovely :)
I suggested this in Steven's other thread.

The diesel will have more residual, but will cost more to start with and the petrol is a nicer drive with equal power. The petrol is much more lively than the diesel too, overall the better option especially because the insurance will likely be over £1000 less.

Without mentioning it seems as if diesel is being phased out with ever increasing tax rates, more coming this autumn by all accounts. Small turbo'd petrol engines are the way forward.
You've got a good point about the diesel being more expensive but I'm hoping to haggle this one down a bit..... Saying that, the government seems to be killing them off :fearscream:
Never driven the 1.0, but would imagine the 2.0 would feel a lot faster - both because it's diesel (you get that big bootfull of torque) and because of the increase in power.

The 1.4 CoD is also a good shout. It's as quick as the 2.0 TDI, though doesn't 'feel' quite as fast in my experience.
Thanks for this post, that's very useful to know! I'll have to test drive it before I buy it (if I do) :laughing:

You said in your other post that you will be doing 100 miles a day - that's 24,000 miles a year. You will need a good reliable car for that.
Why are you limiting yourself to cars your dealer has in stock? He can get hold of any cars in the Audi dealer network. Just say what you want and get him to find it for you.

Reactions: richinsoton and AudiNutta
You just need to be aware (as pointed out above) that diesels are on the way out. I certainly wouldn't be considering one if I live in London given they've already announced restrictions, with more to come no doubt. Elsewhere - there's a few years yet, but it's certainly worth considering that it is likely to get more expensive to own and run in the future the way things are going. I had similar thoughts myself, but I do a fair amount of towing with my car which the diesel is better suited for, which swayed me in the end.

Reactions: The Kendragon and AudiNutta
You said in your other post that you will be doing 100 miles a day - that's 24,000 miles a year. You will need a good reliable car for that.
Why are you limiting yourself to cars your dealer has in stock? He can get hold of any cars in the Audi dealer network. Just say what you want and get him to find it for you.

I suggested this in the other thread just now too, use the whole approved network.

The dealer hasn't treated Steve very well anyway, ignoring him for weeks on end and if it means finding the right car, potentially saving a couple of grand on purchase and insurance I know what I would be doing.

I can get Steve a great deal if he was prepared to travel to South Wales. Steve? :)

I'm moving closer to work soon so it'll be about 15,000 a year once I move there in May :) I don't know why I'm limiting myself, I guess it's because I want to cancel my order and get a used car... Feel bad for them in a way :/
You just need to be aware (as pointed out above) that diesels are on the way out. I certainly wouldn't be considering one if I live in London given they've already announced restrictions, with more to come no doubt. Elsewhere - there's a few years yet, but it's certainly worth considering that it is likely to get more expensive to own and run in the future the way things are going. I had similar thoughts myself, but I do a fair amount of towing with my car which the diesel is better suited for, which swayed me
in the end.
That's a very good point but I think I'll take the chance if I do buy the diesel as I won't be living near any cities soon. Does make you wonder though :grimacing:
I suggested this in the other thread just now too, use the whole approved network.

The dealer hasn't treated Steve very well anyway, ignoring him for weeks on end and if it means finding the right car, potentially saving a couple of grand on purchase and insurance I know what I would be doing.

I can get Steve a great deal if he was prepared to travel to South Wales. Steve? :)
They've been pretty shocking to be honest so this is why I've just thought forget it, I'll cancel the order and just go with used. Hahaha South Wales is a little bit of a trek :tearsofjoy:

See if there is anything on the "Mon Motors Group" network website :)

Don't feel bad for them, they will still sell the car you've bought and it's their service that has let you down in the first place otherwise you would have had your car by now or an explanation for otherwise.

See if there is anything on the "Mon Motors Group" network website :)

Don't feel bad for them, they will still sell the car you've bought and it's their service that has let you down in the first place otherwise you would have had your car by now or an explanation for otherwise.
Okay I'll check it out tomorrow. Bit late now!

I was thinking that. They'll easily sell my car when it arrives seeing that the wait is so long and the options I put on it are essentials :tearsofjoy: They've been awful with updates and the dates just kept slipping. March 1st, mid March, end of March.... The car is still on the way to the port and once it gets there it'll be waiting for days/weeks! I'd be lucky to have it early April

The 1.0 engine is a delightful little unit. Plenty of power, loooaaadsss of torque, and very nice to listen to. I hired a Skoda Octavia recently, a car far larger than the A3. Even with 3 on board it easily kept up with the traffic and happily cruised at well over 90mph with no hint of being lacking in oomph. The DIS was continually reporting that we were getting better than 50mpg on a 400 mile trip, which had all three of us on board wondering just what the hell was powering this car. Finding a diminutive 3 pot under the bonnet was a shocker to us all.

Sadly, I think the buying public may well need convincing that an engine this tiny really is viable, and residuals will suffer accordingly. The same is already true in the A1, where 1.4's are more desirable and get better pcp terms than 1.0's, so I can't imagine the larger A3 being any different.

The diesel car being an S-Line rather than sport trim is a huge plus, and yes, diesel is currently being hounded out of the doors in cities across the world, but the new rules aren't here yet, and they're likely to apply to older cars first giving new diesel buyers some much needed breathing space (pun not intended) so there's still scope to buy one yet, especially if you can get a 2.0 S-line for the price of a 1.0 sport.

IMG 4215

Reactions: pastey
Okay I'll check it out tomorrow. Bit late now!

I was thinking that. They'll easily sell my car when it arrives seeing that the wait is so long and the options I put on it are essentials :tearsofjoy: They've been awful with updates and the dates just kept slipping. March 1st, mid March, end of March.... The car is still on the way to the port and once it gets there it'll be waiting for days/weeks! I'd be lucky to have it early April
You are obviously frustrated by you buying experience, but to be honest it's pretty normal based on feedback on this forum.
I waited 32 weeks for my car in 2014, when saloons were very rare!

Buy the diesel. Its worth it for the Sline trim over sport alone and really is not a bad car in diesel guise. Go and drive it and find out for yourself

Worth bearing in mind that if you're getting your car on a PCP the APR is much higher on a used / pre reg car than new. It's worth seeing if your dealer has any cars already built in their system waiting to be registered and sold.

Reactions: richinsoton
Don't be put off a Diesel engined car just by comments on here. The changes in rules & any in the near future are only affecting old cars, for example, engines with no DPF's or old tech engines with high emissions. This has been the law for ages in Europe and even applies to petrol cars which people love to forget about. The 1.6 or 2.0 Diesel engines in the A3 are Euro 5 if I'm correct and the 1.6 is low in emissions so you will be fine until electric takes over. Diesel isnt on the way out, old cars with no dpf's or high in emissions are on the way out and I would have thought this would start to apply for petrol as much as diesel since it already does in the EU so it's just a matter of time until it comes over. Petrol & diesel are both doomed what with electric cars being made more accessible and a complete like for like swap so I wouldn't worry. You are prob just in time to buy a good new car, get good use out of it and in 5yrs you can change to electric.

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiNutta
If the dealer isn't answering emails I'd be phoning or, even better, doorstepping them. Also go higher than the guy you're dealing with if necessary.
If you're on Audi finance, the rates won't be as competitive for approved used as they will be on a new car.
If you are intent on looking at another car, shop around. And go for a drive to try the different engines. There must be a few examples around at other dealers even if it's not exactly the spec you're after.
Good luck!

For what it's worth, I came from a 1.6 TDCi Ford "diseasal" to the A3 1.4 COD petrol. I loved the diseasel for it's low down torque, but have been surprised and delighted by how torquey the 1.4 COD feels even at low revs.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Audi Bairn
Don't know what the road tax is on the 1ltr, but its 20quid on the derv.

If you are doing loads of dual / motorway miles no brainer go for the derv. As no mater what the say the 1ltr will not be giving you over 50mpg.

Don't know what the road tax is on the 1ltr, but its 20quid on the derv.

If you are doing loads of dual / motorway miles no brainer go for the derv. As no mater what the say the 1ltr will not be giving you over 50mpg.
As I wrote above, the 1.0 returned over 50mpg in an Octavia, loaded 3 up on a trip from central London to central Nottingham and back. Lots of high speed, lots of low speed, lots of traffic. That's a genuine 50+mpg by the way, as measured by the amount of fuel I had to put back in the car before it went back (Sixt rent-a-wreck).

Reactions: Audi Bairn
My 14 plate A3 2.0 diesel had a Euro 6 engine fitted (just missed the last of the Euro 5's). Loved the torque, and the whole car; average mpg over the time I had it was in excess of 50 and I used to get (almost) 60 on a long run. However, it has now gone, to be replaced by a 1.4 COD Q2 Sport (which is just an A3 with a big body as far as I can make out).
Get the Diesel, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Don't be put off a Diesel engined car just by comments on here. The changes in rules & any in the near future are only affecting old cars, for example, engines with no DPF's or old tech engines with high emissions. This has been the law for ages in Europe and even applies to petrol cars which people love to forget about. The 1.6 or 2.0 Diesel engines in the A3 are Euro 5 if I'm correct and the 1.6 is low in emissions so you will be fine until electric takes over. Diesel isnt on the way out, old cars with no dpf's or high in emissions are on the way out and I would have thought this would start to apply for petrol as much as diesel since it already does in the EU so it's just a matter of time until it comes over. Petrol & diesel are both doomed what with electric cars being made more accessible and a complete like for like swap so I wouldn't worry. You are prob just in time to buy a good new car, get good use out of it and in 5yrs you can change to electric.
The diesel engines in any new Audi are EU6 which is the latest standard. I read an article today about a new SUV version of the A4 due out in 2019 and it says that it will have both petrol and diesel engines. In Germany they have an Unwelt system where cars with a EU6 engine are awarded level 4 and most towns and cities only allow any vehicles and not just cars with this level to enter the town.

Reactions: Ormesome
The diesel engines in any new Audi are EU6 which is the latest standard. I read an article today about a new SUV version of the A4 due out in 2019 and it says that it will have both petrol and diesel engines. In Germany they have an Unwelt system where cars with a EU6 engine are awarded level 4 and most towns and cities only allow any vehicles and not just cars with this level to enter the town.

EUxyz. It doesn't really matter. If you believe there's a political mood and will in the UK to discourage diseasals because they're (all) being demonised, then their ownership will be targeted. More to do with politics than logic. And EU influence going forwards a couple of years is also at least open to question/unknowns these days! Anyone's guess how targeting diseasals will manifest and how soon... There are stakeholders that will canvass on both sides of the argument.

If you're an individual considering a purchase, you pay you money and take your chances on what you think your total cost of owning it will be by the time you've sold it and the pleasure you'll get from it :)

Last edited:
My mum has not long bought a Seat Ateca with the 1.0 3cl 115bhp engine. I really thought it would be gutless. But no! You'd never guess it had this little engine under the bonnet , pulls really well and returns 48mpg and has no problem with motorways/dual carriage ways. Its really surprised me, espically in a small SUV. Plus the engine is really quite quiet

I do not believe that the residuals "will suffer" on the 1.0.

Base cars always hold up well.

I do not know what the percentages are but I would expect that you will always lose more money (what actually counts) on a car from higher up the range.

Any extras will also lose money.

I'd be booking an appointment to speak to your dealer's Head of Business. Be polite but express your displeasure and see what he will do for you. Personally I'd be getting them to find you a new stock 1.4COD as close to your spec as possible getting it registered before April and be expecting a very favourable discount for your trouble.
Have you test driven a 1.0 and 1.4 back to back to see which you prefer?
I know it's not the same, but my wife has a 1.0 turbo ecoboost Fiesta. Real world economy is poor. I don't find it a particularly nice engine and wouldn't want to be saddled with driving the thing for 15000 miles a year. Three cylinder engines aren't for me.

Getting tired of people slagging the 1.0 TFSI when they have no experience of it.

I have covered 6k miles in mine and averaged ~50mpg.

Thank you for all your comments and input toward this thread! :) Sorry I can't reply to them all..... The thread exploded while I was working today :O

Today I went for the 2.0 TDI S-Line A3 Sportback with the following:
Glacier White
Privacy Glass
Comfort & Sound Pack

They wanted £22,000 but I got that down to £21,000 with two free services. I also managed to get the monthly payments to £368, which compared to the £300 I was going to pay monthly for the Sport, is great! The car has done 5,000 miles and has only been used as a demonstrator/test drive car.

I'm booked in to collect it on Saturday 10am and I can't wait! :D

Reactions: richinsoton and cemerson
Getting tired of people slagging the 1.0 TFSI when they have no experience of it.

It depends on what you are used to driving. My wife and I had a test drive in an A1 with the 1.0 engine and found it rather lacking in power. But then I normally drive a 2.0 TDI-184. The reason we test drove the 1.0 was when we were due to replace my wife's 1.6 TDI A1. She then had a test drive in a 1.2 TFSI VW Polo and she much preferred the way it drove so purchased that instead.
I would not 'slag off' the 1.0 but it does depend on what you are already used to driving and what you want from a car.

Thank you for all your comments and input toward this thread! :) Sorry I can't reply to them all..... The thread exploded while I was working today :O

Today I went for the 2.0 TDI S-Line A3 Sportback with the following:
Glacier White
Privacy Glass
Comfort & Sound Pack

They wanted £22,000 but I got that down to £21,000 with two free services. I also managed to get the monthly payments to £368, which compared to the £300 I was going to pay monthly for the Sport, is great! The car has done 5,000 miles and has only been used as a demonstrator/test drive car.

I'm booked in to collect it on Saturday 10am and I can't wait! :D

Good choice. You wont be disappointed !

I don't believe I was slagging off the Audi 1.0 TFSI and if 50mpg is your ultimate measure of satisfaction in a car then you will be very happy.

Reviewers rave about the Ford 1.0 turbo ecoboost, say it's a gem of an engine and a hoot to drive, to me it's far from great and sadly lacking. I've driven three cylinder offerings from Daihatsu, Vauxhall, and VW for short periods over the years - and really hate the rough thrummy gutless feel of them all. Just my opinion. The Audi offering may be much improved and completely different to the 'award winning' Ford unit that I commented on. All I was suggesting was that any buyer may be wise to try other options back to back to let them make up their own mind which they would rather live with.

I may be a fool for spending £30k on the car that I really wanted when I could have bought practically the same thing £20k. Unfortunately I've lived long enough to realise that for me, the glow of saving a few quid by buying the cheapest possible option usually ends in regret and long term disappointment rather than any feelings of lasting satisfaction and enjoyment.

Wife loves her thrummy Fiesta though - each to their own.

GTAIVgunner - Well done - I think you'll be very happy with your choice.

Good choice. You wont be disappointed !
Thank you, I can't wait! :)
I don't believe I was slagging off the Audi 1.0 TFSI and if 50mpg is your ultimate measure of satisfaction in a car then you will be very happy.

Reviewers rave about the Ford 1.0 turbo ecoboost, say it's a gem of an engine and a hoot to drive, to me it's far from great and sadly lacking. I've driven three cylinder offerings from Daihatsu, Vauxhall, and VW for short periods over the years - and really hate the rough thrummy gutless feel of them all. Just my opinion. The Audi offering may be much improved and completely different to the 'award winning' Ford unit that I commented on. All I was suggesting was that any buyer may be wise to try other options back to back to let them make up their own mind which they would rather live with.

I may be a fool for spending £30k on the car that I really wanted when I could have bought practically the same thing £20k. Unfortunately I've lived long enough to realise that for me, the glow of saving a few quid by buying the cheapest possible option usually ends in regret and long term disappointment rather than any feelings of lasting satisfaction and enjoyment.

Wife loves her thrummy Fiesta though - each to their own.

GTAIVgunner - Well done - I think you'll be very happy with your choice.
Thanks, I'm so glad I'm collecting this rather than a 1.0 TFSI Sport :D Will be cracking!

The gladness will continue every time you open the door, smell the leather and feel the torque when you put you foot down.

Reactions: The Kendragon
It depends on what you are used to driving. My wife and I had a test drive in an A1 with the 1.0 engine and found it rather lacking in power. But then I normally drive a 2.0 TDI-184. The reason we test drove the 1.0 was when we were due to replace my wife's 1.6 TDI A1. She then had a test drive in a 1.2 TFSI VW Polo and she much preferred the way it drove so purchased that instead.
I would not 'slag off' the 1.0 but it does depend on what you are already used to driving and what you want from a car.

The 1.0 in the A1 is not the same. Version in the a3 has 21% more power.

Moving on...

To the OP, enjoy your new car - I am sure it will be great.