2.0 TDI 140 - What to look out for?

Steve1990

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum and Audi's in general, going to look at an 04 plate A3 2.0 TDI 140 Sport on the weekend which has high mileage 132,000 but the price reflects this. It's just had a full service and cambelt + waterpump done.

Other than the usual stuff when buying a second hand motor, what else should I be looking for? Are there any common problems I need to look out for?

Being high mileage the first thing that came to mind was the clutch, I asked the dealer if it has been done and apparently there's no history of it but their mechanic has checked it and 'the clutch is fine'. Is the clutch likely to have lasted 132k or could it have been replaced and the paperwork lost?

All help would be appreciated, I really don't want to end up buying a lemon.

Cheers
Steve

Mine is on 128k on the standard clutch, and think is starting to get a little tired.
I think the clutch release bearing is starting to fail... In traffic I can notice a slight 'rock' of the engine as I brake to come to a stop.
Don't think I need to worry just yet though. You might try and use it as a bargaining tool?

I think the other main issue with these engines is a problem with pours heads - do a search and it should come up easily.
As I understand there are three types marked A B or C on the head itself (under the cover to the right hand/battery side of the engine, behind the fuel lines)
A's are bad
B's are better
C's are fine

the pours heads cause a water leak, but many were changed.
Mine is a 55 plate and luckily had a C type head from the factory.
If you have an A or B I would advise you check for signs of water loss/HG failure symptoms.

Sure others will be along soon with other points.

check if it judders when idle for longer periods of time

Thanks for the useful input guys!

Mine is on 128k on the standard clutch, and think is starting to get a little tired.
I think the clutch release bearing is starting to fail... In traffic I can notice a slight 'rock' of the engine as I brake to come to a stop.
Don't think I need to worry just yet though. You might try and use it as a bargaining tool?

I think the other main issue with these engines is a problem with pours heads - do a search and it should come up easily.
As I understand there are three types marked A B or C on the head itself (under the cover to the right hand/battery side of the engine, behind the fuel lines)
A's are bad
B's are better
C's are fine

the pours heads cause a water leak, but many were changed.
Mine is a 55 plate and luckily had a C type head from the factory.
If you have an A or B I would advise you check for signs of water loss/HG failure symptoms.

That's useful to know, hopefully they won't mind me removing the engine cover to check this. What tools will I need to get the cover off?

Do you have any other clutch symptoms like slipping?

check if it judders when idle for longer periods of time

If it does judder then what does this indicate?

Anything else I should be looking out for?

Cheers
Steve

Idle juder was a common problem in VAG tdi engines, had it in my golf too... not sure what caused it.... Tons of posts about it
have a lookout at the rear wipers working, usually seem to break in a3's.
Also drive it over speed humps and bumpy roads checking for knocks, suspension tends to need replacing in higher mileage audis.

I have no idea why this hasn't been mentioned but the Turbos of these cars are forever failing! mega bill for it to be repaired.

check for the siren noise that the turbo makes when tired and run a VCDS scan.

look at the sticky about sticky veins at the top of the list of threads.

Thanks for the useful input guys!

That's useful to know, hopefully they won't mind me removing the engine cover to check this. What tools will I need to get the cover off?

Do you have any other clutch symptoms like slipping?

The cover just pulls off, no tools required. Will try to find a pic.
No, never had any slip.

I have no idea why this hasn't been mentioned but the Turbos of these cars are forever failing! mega bill for it to be repaired.

check for the siren noise that the turbo makes when tired and run a VCDS scan.

look at the sticky about sticky veins at the top of the list of threads.

I've heard about the turbos's, but no experiance myself (thank god!)

Head isuues here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ur-cylinder-head-will-crack-if-hasnt-yet.html

Photo by influxsg - See the red box for head stamp info
img000492010022111101.jpg

Some really good info here so thanks all. Do these cars have problems with DPF? If so are there any telltale signs I should look out for?

Some really good info here so thanks all. Do these cars have problems with DPF? If so are there any telltale signs I should look out for?

Mine, a 2006 doesn't have a DPF - so I imagine the 2004 MY won't either?

The 140 BKD engine does not have a DPF unless retro-fitted by a previous owner which is highly unlikely.

Well, went to look at the A3 today and walked away... it was a shed to be honest! There was bubbling rust all along the edge of the tailgate and bonnet, it's had a slight knock on the O/S front which has pushed the bumper out of alignment with the front wing (wasn't noticeable on the photos :wacko:). Also I think someone has tried to break into it at some point as it looks like someone has attacked the drivers side front window with a screwdriver and it's started to rust behind the rubber seal and the drivers door handle was broke :scared2: The rusty bonnet and tailgate made me think it's been in a shunt and had pattern part panels fitted as surely the original Audi bodywork shouldn't rust?

Took it for a test drive anyway and it drove okay, it's made me want to go and look at some other A3's :cool: It pulled strong and felt solid but was tatty inside, the buttons on the dash had their surfaces mostly rubbed off :( It was also clunky over bumps and the aircon wasn't cold and had a musty smell... also one of the front windscreen wipers didn't work!

I took the engine cover off and looked to see if the cylinder head was stamped A, B or C and couldn't find the letter anywhere! How easy is it to see and where exactly is it located? I had a good look and couldn't see it. :think:

how much you looking to spend?
I was looking at spending £4,000 but have now increased my budget to £5,000 which is stretching me as far as I can go! I don't mind high mileage but want one that has been looked after and is straight. :) I am going to view some more this week, hopefully they will turn out to be better!

No probs got one in the classifieds but bit more than what you want to spend.
I was looking at spending £4,000 but have now increased my budget to £5,000 which is stretching me as far as I can go! I don't mind high mileage but want one that has been looked after and is straight. :) I am going to view some more this week, hopefully they will turn out to be better!

Just bumping this as I am now returning my faulty A3 170 and all being well changing for a Golf GT 140 TDi

Is the A,B or C stamp near the tamdem pump?

Im guessing the Golf is bascically the same engine wise and what to look out for?

just under the metal injector pipes towards the right
Just bumping this as I am now returning my faulty A3 170 and all being well changing for a Golf GT 140 TDi

Is the A,B or C stamp near the tamdem pump?

Im guessing the Golf is bascically the same engine wise and what to look out for?

Oh right so on the front of the head near the inlet manifold rather than on the side?

Any other tests I should so or things to check?

yes mate.....whistling turbo.......ive had a new one genuine from audi.....car pulls like a train...but dont whistle,i think when they whistle,there getting ill lol,
Oh right so on the front of the head near the inlet manifold rather than on the side?

Any other tests I should so or things to check?