2.0 tdi 140 coolant issue

Reaction score
hi guys,

recently the coolant light appeared on my dashboard when i started it up. so i popped the bonnet and the coolant levels seemed fine. i was baffled. so i turned the engine off and back on again and the light didnt appear si i drove the car as normal. now and again when i turn the car on it appears although i havent been driving the car much as im getting rid of it. just wondering what you guys think could be the problem as the coolant level in the tank seems spot on? ive also noticed the car seems to be a bit smokier than normal if you really look for it.

tia guys

ian

Could be the coolant level sensor. There are two metal bolts in the coolant expansion tank which tend to get oxidised, try and scratch them with a knife. Just in case I'd scan the car with VCDS.

Unless you're seeing a drop in coolant, then as above, check coolant sensor, also check oil cap for any mustard & any drop in oil dramatically.

Hi, as above the level sender in the bottle is the most likely cause. Audi supplies cartridges to go in the bottle to stop the oxidation from happening.

Could be the coolant level sensor. There are two metal bolts in the coolant expansion tank which tend to get oxidised, try and scratch them with a knife. Just in case I'd scan the car with VCDS.

^ as above. I had the same issue with my previous TT - a simple scraping with a knife done the trick.....had the car four years and didn't get the problem again, so hopefully this'll save you your pennies to spend elsewhere