2.0 PD Tdi B7 A4 Fuel consumption

Hutchball

Reaction score
Hi there.

What should I expect for fuel consumption with a A4 B7 2.0 TDi Pd engine. I’m feeling I should get a little better than I am doing.

I’m getting around 25-30 on short runs and around 40-45 on motorway.
Probably 350 m miles for £60 Costco fuel.

A bit low you think?

Looks ok to me, these cars aren’t known for their frugality. My 3.0tdi is abysmal, I’ve never seen 40mpg. I feel special if I manage 20 round town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks ok to me, these cars aren’t known for their frugality. My 3.0tdi is abysmal, I’ve never seen 40mpg. I feel special if I manage 20 round town.

Oosh! A bit grim that!

I was looking for ways a could maybe improve it a bit, engine wise. I’ve done the usual servicing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Local driving for me is 35-40

On the motorway depending on driving style will range between 45-65

Eco driving can manage 700 miles to a tank

2.0TDi modified and mapped

Local driving for me is 35-40

On the motorway depending on driving style will range between 45-65

Eco driving can manage 700 miles to a tank

2.0TDi modified and mapped

Yeh, mines stock. Would you recommend a remap.
I was considering taking the inlet manifold off and give it a clean. What do you think?

Clean ur egr valve mine did shocking mpg but on 40 quids it used to get about 200miles one thing I hated about that car the fuel mileage would instantly react to the driving you could go from 100 to 50 miles mine had 260k on tho

EGR blanked off because of all the crud getting sent to the EGR valve and anti shudder. Had to clean them out a lot.

Just out of interest I did mine but was not that dirty I couldn't get it all off because some rounded the last bolt

That seems surprisingly low, i thought my 2.0 tfsi was poor on fuel but i average 35mpg on my mile 7 mile commute to work. Have you run a scan for any faults, maybe an injector is on its way out? Whats does it run like?

No faults. I have VCDS so can check. Do you know what I should look for?

It runs ok as far as I can tell

Well, when I say ok, something does feel off. I can’t put my finger on it. It went into limp mode today for the first time.

No. No smoke at all thank god. I think the turbo might be sticking. What would cause the black smoke out of interest.

Could be the variable veins in the turbo sticking, soot clogs the whole mechanism up then it goes into limp mode. Sometimes you don't get a code and switching the engine off and on again usually takes it back out of limp, loads of stuff on the forums about it if you search. Black smoke is usually soot on the exhaust (what clogs the turbo) and caused by some kind of over-fueling.

Reactions: Hutchball
No. No smoke at all thank god. I think the turbo might be sticking. What would cause the black smoke out of interest.

A number of difference sensor giving the wrong data causing over fueling

Leaking injector

Boost leak (split hose/intercooler)

Reactions: Hutchball
Could be the variable veins in the turbo sticking, soot clogs the whole mechanism up then it goes into limp mode. Sometimes you don't get a code and switching the engine off and on again usually takes it back out of limp, loads of stuff on the forums about it if you search. Black smoke is usually soot on the exhaust (what clogs the turbo) and caused by some kind of over-fueling.
Exactly what happened to mine boost leak would cause black smoke just think of a big power diesel heavily tuned