1st to 2nd crunching in gearbox

adidasandy

Reaction score
Ok after a few 1/4 miles I noticed my gearbox was having issues from 1st to 2nd, sometimes crunches and sometimes get stuck half way between but only when driving hard, now I've read that the 2001 B5's had a upgrade to sovle this very problem. My question is can these be repaired?

Andy

I presume this is an S4?

Yes it can be fixed with upgraded parts, but the parts arent cheap.

Its about £500 in parts alone from Audi, then you'll need to remove and dismantle the box to install them.

Yeah S4 B5
I have a lad we use for our gearbox issues at work and he's great, getting the box out looks straight forward and whilst it's off I'm putting a RS4 clutch and flywheel in for when I do my upgrade. Will Audi know the parts I'm after (know what I need) or do I need parts numbers? I get quite a bit of discount with my Audi dealer anyway.

Its the 1/2 synchro hub and and two synchro rings that you need.

Assuming its a DSY box:

The hub is part number 01E311239L and lists at £356
The synchro rings are 012311247H and list at £76

You may also want to fit some replacement bearings etc when your in there.

Thanks, I'll give it to the gearbo lad and get him to do what ever it needs.

JHM are just reselling Audi parts anyway, so no point them being shipped all the way to the states to come all the way back again!

Ok, box is coming out in a week or so, my only concern is the gearbox fitter can't do the job. He's done loads of 5 speed Audi's but did get a 6speed quattro box from a 57 plate RS4 and couldn't do it as he needed a special tool for the job. He has it stripped on the bench but was unable to remove ?????? as it needed a tool.
Just wondering if anyone has done one of these boxes before and could give me a heads up. Please don't think the gearbox guy is a amateur because he's not, he's been going for over 20 years and has built many a box for me, I asked him why he never bought the tool and he said new Audi boxes are nigh on bullet proof.
Andy

Aragorn your a star, my box is a DSY or so Audi says anyway. God this car is costing me fortunes but the sad thing is I don't care lol.