1st gear engagement issues when stationary.

scoss

Reaction score
I have been getting this intermittent problem where when stationary I shift the stick to neutral and the engine stops. When I want to move it's at this point that 1st has some real resistance. Some times the gear stick will not fully move into place forcing me to go back to neutral and then try again. It's only when stationary that I get this issue. Normal gear selection is totally fine across the gears.

Car has done 45k. Any ideas what this could be?

Reactions: pburv
I have been getting this intermittent problem where when stationary I shift the stick to neutral and the engine stops. When I want to move it's at this point that 1st has some real resistance. Some times the gear stick will not fully move into place forcing me to go back to neutral and then try again. It's only when stationary that I get this issue. Normal gear selection is totally fine across the gears.

Car has done 45k. Any ideas what this could be?
Wear in the gear selector is usually the case...Also a gear oil change might sort it?
Just a guess.

Reactions: Gordo77
Wear in the gear selector is usually the case...Also a gear oil change might sort it?
Just a guess.

I've spoken to Audi and they would want me to demostrate the issue. Even though this could happen once or twice a week. It's a really annoying issue and I'm alway concerned that it's going to happen. Not the best driving experience. I might get them to change the oil when i book it in. It's still under warranty which im very happy about.

Does it only do it when engine/gearbox is cold?

Just read up that the gear linkage cables are known to cause issues?
Here's a pic I found...
Audi-A3-8V-6-speed-gear-selector-and-linkage.jpg

So in terms of components. There is the linkage, mesh, gear selector. Anything else? There have been a few freak cases where I've reversed and quickly changed back into 1st only to find the car is still in reverse. Not sure if these are linked?

Just read up that the gear linkage cables are known to cause issues?
Here's a pic I found...
Audi-A3-8V-6-speed-gear-selector-and-linkage.jpg
Possible it just needs re adjusting?

Reactions: Toonsoldier91
Possible it just needs re adjusting?

I've got to wait 5 weeks to be seen at Audi Bristol! As it's an intermittent issue, where do I stand if they take it out for a drive and don't experience my issue? Do I suggest an oil change or linkages reajustments? I don't just want to take it away again having them not try anything.

I've got to wait 5 weeks to be seen at Audi Bristol! As it's an intermittent issue, where do I stand if they take it out for a drive and don't experience my issue? Do I suggest an oil change or linkages reajustments? I don't just want to take it away again having them not try anything.
If it's as bad as you say it is then they should pick it up. But it's best to take a techie out and show them what your problem is...Either way stick your ground and don't let them 'fob you off'..
Good luck mate...:friends:

Good morning,

i used to have this issue about every 20th Traffic light in my A1 up to the point where you frantically start trying to jam the gear in people start bibbing from behind, so sometimes i just stayed in first foot on the clutch it was that bad, regardless of cold or warm engine etc.

Took it to Audi several times to no avail even though they could reproduce it on test drives. They explained several times that the cogs don't slip into place as the should and it's pretty well known in the VW family and to just go back to neutral and try again...
Not the most satisfying answer but oh well.

It's only happened about 5 Times on the A3 in the six months of owning it, so much much better.

Good morning,

i used to have this issue about every 20th Traffic light in my A1 up to the point where you frantically start trying to jam the gear in people start bibbing from behind, so sometimes i just stayed in first foot on the clutch it was that bad, regardless of cold or warm engine etc.

Took it to Audi several times to no avail even though they could reproduce it on test drives. They explained several times that the cogs don't slip into place as the should and it's pretty well known in the VW family and to just go back to neutral and try again...
Not the most satisfying answer but oh well.

It's only happened about 5 Times on the A3 in the six months of owning it, so much much better.

Did they explain to you why it's only when moving from neutral into 1st? I'm glad someone else has had this issue.

No the Mechanic didn't properly explain, just that the cogs don't slip into their nooks as they should but get stuck tooth on tooth and that it's pretty common on VW / Audi Models..I've driven a few different cars but must say never experienced it other than on my two Audis up until now.

Hi everyone,

I am new on this forum, not an Audi owner but I bought a new Mazda and I experience the very same issue as the one mentionned in this topic.
The problem occurs once every 70 first gear engagements, from neutral.

I would like to know if you finally solved the problem and if yes, was it related to linkage, stick or gearbox?
Thank you.

Hi, any update will be welcome :friendly wink:

no real update. If I’m first at the lights then I never stick it in neutral for this reason. When a few cars back at least I’ve got time to stick it back in neutral and select 1st again. Not ideal but seems to be a quirk on this box.

Thank you for your answer!

Good workaround but it does not solve the problem when you start the engine or when you exit and enter the car.

I went to the Mazda dealer today and talked about trading the car with a new 2020 model but it's too expensive.
Mine is a 2018 model with only 6000 km.
Starting from today, I am trying to shift the stick from neutral to the right side before engaging the 1st gear on the left side.
Could be that a normal/natural return to neutral position does not put the gears to their ideal position and an additional action is needed...
This would mean their is some linkage setup to be adjusted.

I am also exchanging with this guy:
https://www.cx3forum.com/forum/engi...16674-manual-transmission-1st-gear-issue.html

I'll let you know if I have good results with this workaround...
Sorry for my English...

Last edited: