1st Fuel Guage Faulty, the Car Cuts Out... Now Won't Start :( :(

Mackers

Reaction score
hi all i have an A4 2.5Q Tdi, thefuel guage had been sticking for the past week or so, then lift pump was making a squeeling noise and then was faulty (as diagnosed by the garage) and the car cut out on me.... just cranking and not firing, the garage has replaced the tank pump, but it still won't start, despite bleeding and even sucking the fuel through.... apparently the tank pump, STILL ain't pumping right..... any ideas PLEASE!!!!
Wayne

I've never personally seen a 2.5tdi tank, but apparently the lift pump isnt connected to the engine. Its just used to keep the swirl pot full.

The IP on the engine sucks the fuel up from the tank by itself.

These engines are known for the injector pumps to fail, and the symptoms of the failure are exactly as you describe.

Have you run a diagnostic on the engine ECU?

Prob not right, but mine did something similar (2.5 TDI Quattro), thought it was the immob as I had an aftermarket one but turned out to be the T-Piece on top of the fuel filter (a non-return valve I was told) my engine would crank and not fire, if the engine was primed manualy it would fire and cut out. Replace the T-piece and all was well.

i passed it, on, not sure bout the VAGCOM Readings tho, but they not had a chance to look at it, BOSS is on their backs, bout the sales cars that need looking at :( :(

been fully VAG'D today, no faults found, plastic bit floating about the tank so, so blocked pipes the Audi bloke recons..... this seem true??

why not rig up a temporary fuel supply to the fuel filter, using a bottle and some pipe or whatever. If it starts and runs with the temporary "tank" installed, you can rule out the Injector pump and ECU etc and concentrate on the diesel lines.

final update.... THANK GOD.....
after replacing the "fuel tank lift pump" they took all the fuel lines off 1by1 and "blew" them out and replace the fuel filter (then took it apart) and low an behold.... plastic bits in everything basically.... what inside the tank that's broke, i dunno but it's been running fine and i'm sure it's better than before :D :D :D, happy me :D :D :D

Mackers what did your tank pump sound like? I have the same engine and getting a sound like an electric 'SU pump' from the rear of the car...

Does that sound like I am going to have the same problem and do you know if it was a tank out job? Thanks.

.... basically whining it's "tits off" to put it bluntly....
and nah the tank stayed in place, jus lift the boot carpet (2 tiedown brackets have to be unscrewed).