1st Detail

squiretolley

Reaction score
1st proper detail on my A3 today, after about 6hrs of graft here's the results....

DSC_0331_zpsa1126242.jpg
[/URL

1. Wheels cleaned with Valet Pro Bilberry wheel cleaner.
2. Bodywork pressure washed to remove bulk of the dirt.
3. Washed with Muc Off Über Shine with lambswool mitt and scratch guard bucket.
4. Auto Glym clar bar with Auto Glym Quick Detailer as lubricant to remove contaminants.
5. Rinsed off with pressure washer.
6. Dried with large Water Magnet towel.
7. Polished with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish.
8. Waxed with Turtle Wax Ice Paste Wax (you'll have to forgive me for cheating and not using a carnauba wax).
9. Tyres dressed with Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel.
10. Windows cleaned with Muc Off Glass Cleaner.

All in all I'm really pleased with the result, just glad ill only need to do it every few months. I must say that the clay bar was the biggest revelation for me, you think your car's clean after a wash but the clay bar makes it feel like glass!!

Reactions: SJW, MiT, vivalacoulter and 2 others
Looks great, Worked so hard you polished off the obligatory S-line Daytona Grey aluminium roof rails

Ha ha, wasn't sure about the roof rails TBH especially not at 200 odd quid!

But see you have the aluminium pedals- did they get a once over today

Only had time to do a quick Hoover inside today! Must say that the pedals are £55 well spent, they really finish off the interior.

I'm starting to get a little obsessed with this detailing lark...think I've spent about £200 on products over the last month or so. I might have to start a little side line cleaning the cars in my village!

Looks excellent! I spent a good few hours on mine last weekend doing a similar regime (haven't yet tried clay bar yet though). Unfortunately due to my un-made road it was covered in dust within 24 hours.... :'(

Just out of interest, do you find the Meguiars tyre gel works well? I tried a tyre gel once and all it seemed to do was run on to the wheels and then attract all of the brake dust and looked bad very quickly. Maybe I used too much?

Reactions: squiretolley
I'm starting to get a little obsessed with this detailing lark...think I've spent about £200 on products over the last month or so. I might have to start a little side line cleaning the cars in my village!

Can see myself going the same way, already practiced with a few different shampoos, polishes and waxes on my current 8P and also started to look at best places to buy rest of the cleaning/detailing kit. Also got some very local competition from a couple of professional or semi pro polish (as in the country) detailers moved in three doors along from me a couple of months ago and can't have a whole procession of big BMW's showing up my pride and joy when it arrives.

Looks excellent! I spent a good few hours on mine last weekend doing a similar regime (haven't yet tried clay bar yet though). Unfortunately due to my un-made road it was covered in dust within 24 hours.... :'(

Just out of interest, do you find the Meguiars tyre gel works well? I tried a tyre gel once and all it seemed to do was run on to the wheels and then attract all of the brake dust and looked bad very quickly. Maybe I used too much?

Yes it seems to work well, considerably better than spray applied ones.

Reactions: mjcourtney
Can see myself going the same way, already practiced with a few different shampoos, polishes and waxes on my current 8P and also started to look at best places to buy rest of the cleaning/detailing kit. Also got some very local competition from a couple of professional or semi pro polish (as in the country) detailers moved in three doors along from me a couple of months ago and can't have a whole procession of big BMW's showing up my pride and joy when it arrives.

I can't believe how much some of the kit is though. Found some wax on Polished Bliss for £900!!

One of the cleanest cars I've seen :icon_thumright:

Sadly it seems my Golf was the victim of an upset pterodactyl during the night...

Sidenote, those front lights look great! Not seen one of these on the road yet.

Reactions: SJW and squiretolley
That's a fine looking vehicle!Very nice work Squire!Got mine booked in with a close friend (who happens to be a pro detailer) for a full clean & wax the day I get it :)!

One of the cleanest cars I've seen :icon_thumright:

Sadly it seems my Golf was the victim of an upset pterodactyl during the night...

Sidenote, those front lights look great! Not seen one of these on the road yet.

Thanks. I'm sure mine will be covered in bird crap by the morning!

Clay bar on brand new paint? Should have saved yourself the hassle and used iron x. Clay bar should only really be used before machine polishing. Likely you will have marring in the paint now:(

Nice and clean car, the only issue I have after you take it along the road the water runs out of the wheel bolt holes and makes the corners dirty again, keep the cloth on standby for the final tidy up as I also don't like to see the discs turn the slight orange after washing.

Clay bar on brand new paint? Should have saved yourself the hassle and used iron x. Clay bar should only really be used before machine polishing. Likely you will have marring in the paint now:(

I must admit I didn't think it would need claying but the paintwork was like glass afterwards, the untreated areas were surprising rough. I've done nearly 5000miles in it so not exactly new anymore.

Nice and clean car, the only issue I have after you take it along the road the water runs out of the wheel bolt holes and makes the corners dirty again, keep the cloth on standby for the final tidy up as I also don't like to see the discs turn the slight orange after washing.

I know where you're coming from. My OCD keeps me in check!!

What is marring? Ive bought a clay bar and my cars only done 300miles. I havent used the clay yet, should i save it 'till a bit later?

What is marring? Ive bought a clay bar and my cars only done 300miles. I havent used the clay yet, should i save it 'till a bit later?

marring is light marking in the paint usually caused by using insufficient lube when claying. From my experience I have never had a problem, I just use plenty of quick detailer to help the clay glide over the paint.
If you are going to clay the car read the guide in the detailing section provided by Polished Bliss, it's very informative. I'm not sure if your car requires claying, I would think not but it depends on how well the car was prepped. My car also has similar mileage to yours, when I first wash it I am going to go over the car with Tardis or similar to remove any polish, contaminants etc before I add paint protection and then wax.

Mark