19x8.5 ET43 - will it rub?

Aviry

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to buy a set of wheels which are 19x8.5 et43, can i fit 235/35/19 or 225/35/19 without rubbing?
S3 3 door, lowered on ST Springs (30mm front, 20mm rear).

i know that 235 with et45 rubs at the back, but will 225 on et43 and removing the screw will let me enjoy fast driving without rubbing issues?

Should be just about OK but I can't say for sure. I can say that 19x8 ET45 with 225/35/19 doesn't rub at all with the screw in place.

I'm running 19" et40 8.5j with a 235 tyre and no rubbing for me.

Also just had 9.5j et35 with a 235 tyre and rubbed a little, removed the 2x screws and was all fine.

are you lowered? did you do some cambers for that? what type of tyre do you have? i know people with 19x8.5 ET45 that have rubs in the rear.

No, no lowering on this 1 haha.

I have had a few S3's and A3's now all Quattro and none have rubbed bar on tho's little bumper screws. I have even run 20" 9J with 225,30 tyres and no rubbing and 1 person in the back also and that was lowered 30mm all round.

I mainly try to stick with 225,35 tyres but at the moment i have 8.5j ET40 with a 235 tyre and its all fine and a full car no problems.

thanks Charlie, it is really cheerful to hear, everywhere else i read the opposite actually.
what tyres did you use? i know some tyres are skinnier than others.

it will rub on the slightest dips in the road and over speed humps at high speeds. and with 4 full. grown adults in the car it'll rub. I'm talking from experience on my s3 8p sportback on stock suspension

i don't get this, how is it that some rub on this setup and some don't? Hoesty you are on 19x8.5 et43 and run 225/35/19?

it's an intermittent rub. not constant. yes I was running that but I sold the wheels for something more practical. I'm now running 19x8.5 et 45 235/35/19 and no issues like my last set up. I've even lowered the front on eibach pro kit 20mm drop. and still fine.

oh forgot to mention the rear arch liner screws are both removed on my old and current set up.

makes no sense that the 2 mm you gained from the switch from et43 to et45 gave you more clearance than 225/35/19 tire gives over 235/35/19 tire.
maybe it is the kind of tire you used on the old wheels, do you remember what they were?

Mine is a 2 door S3 not a sportback so might be a reason why mine dont rub.

As i currently have ET40 8.5J with 235.35 tyre and i can have a full car all adults and no rubbing, even on my 20" wheels i had the smallest of rubbing untill i removed the screw and on my wheels i just removed 19" ET35 9.5J with 235,35 tyres rubbed removed the screw's and had people in the back and again no rubbing but couldnt drive like a plonker.

yeah Charlie is right. sportback would be heavier. they were kumho 225/35/19. from he's experience on the 3dr sounds like it'll be all good.

Thanks guys,
Wonder what N8 has to say here, i saw he's the wheel guru here.

Might sound daft this but depending what you want obv if its a racing car then 19" wheels is not really the way to go but if 19" wheels are what you want the cheaper range tyres are the best for clearence and stretch. I cant answer why but i have tested out a few tyres on 20" and 19" wheels and the cheaper range help out alot when your trying to do something you shouldnt be haha.
Achillies i think they are call. stretch pretty well they do and give you an extra few mm clearence.

Been there done that had 40 sets of wheels on my a3 sportback on air ride

225/35/19 will be perfect and you will need to remove screw mate but wheel offset and size is perfect

I ran 215/35/19 on 8.5j et 35 and still tucked with no camber adjustment

unless your car height is similar to the Q SUV then all setup lowered will rub from time to time going over bumps or having peeps in the back seat. Lowering and rubbing is a way of life. You get used to it

Reactions: Hoesty
Well seems like people here have different experiences with the same spec of wheels and tires.
Is the a difference between the rear fender (in terms of clearance) between sportback to a 3 door?