1998 Avant rear strut removal

MXHowes

Reaction score
This is not a S but I understand the rear suspension is similar. Any help is appreciated.

RE: 1998 A4 B5 Avant 2.8 5-speed with sport suspension.

I am trying to remove my rear struts and cannot get the control arm to swing down far enough to remove the shock from the control arm.

Following the Bentley I have removed:
Sway bar link bolt
The bolt connecting the wheel bearing housing to the upper control arm
Lower strut mounting bolt
The bracket holding the ABS wire to the control arm
4 bolts holding strut mounting bracket (I have replaced one of the upper bolts loosely to hold the bracket up and in place)

Loosened lower control arm bolt to the wheel bearing housing.

Bentley says to " push wheel bearing housing down and remove strut." I can push it down about 3/8" but not any further. The tube in the control arm that parking brake cable goes thru is in the way and blocks the removal.

I have pushed, pried and tried every way to force this lower strut mount out of the control arm without any success.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem. I had only raised one wheel on an axle stand. When I raised both rear wheels and REALLY pryed on the hub it moved down far enough to wiggle the spring/shock out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or just unbolt the strut turret and take the whole lot out, if it’s old it’d be wise to check the condition anyway as they rot at the back really badly.

Or just unbolt the strut turret and take the whole lot out, if it’s old it’d be wise to check the condition anyway as they rot at the back really badly.
Got it out......just had to use more fore and get a better angle....
Thanks