1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1998 Audi A6 Avant 2.5 TDI Won't rev over 3000rpm

Wooks Jul 15, 2018

1. Wooks

Wooks New Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.
    Bought the car a couple of months ago and I like it a lot, getting mid 40's mpg which is ace.
    Just had the air con re-gassed and there were no fault codes at all.

Main problem I have is that I floor it to overtake or climb a steep hill it just stops at 3ooorpm, so I'm reduced to just toodling around which probably explains the great mpg.

I'm ok with the spanners but new to diesel turbo cars, so I've been reading loads of topics on the 2.5tdi.
    Today I've checked all the vacuum hoses for splits and damage and they look ok.
    I removed the 2 bolts which hold the actuator valve in position and the lever moves easily with just a slight squeek.
    With my limited knowledge this appears to show that the turbo vanes are either moving ok or not connected.

I'm having technical issues getting any software to connect via the ODB socket at the moment, so I'm stuck with basic manual checks that might rule out simple issues.

Is there anything I can check now without the software working to rule out potential problems.

P.S. Revs fine in neutral.
    Sucking on the vacuum tube makes the rod move too, moving the vanes.

Cheers
    Andy

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Wooks

Wooks New Member

P.S. Now have VCDS-Lite working, are there any options which might help for the free version.
    Cheers
    Andy

4. Wooks

Wooks New Member

Ran a scan when I got VCDS-Lite working and it showed 2 codes, 00523 + 00575.
    Cleared codes and went for a quick spin then:-
    00523 - Intake air temp sensor G42.
    00575 Intake manifold pressure 11-00 Control limit not reached.
    At tickover 766 rpm, 1009.8, 989.4 76.1%
    Doesn't mean much to me but I'll keep browsing the forum
    Cheers
    Andy