1997 110bhp tuning box

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Has anyone else fitted a tuning box that plugs inline on the fuel pump harness on their 110bhp Tdi?

I was given one from a friend for looking at and doing some work on his allroad. It's made by CR racing from I can gather. He bought it many moons ago for his 1996 110 tdi A4. But ended up scrapping the car and keeping the box.

I have fitted the tuning box and started the car, that's all so far. It seems to rev a bit quicker/freer, but maybe it's in my head. VCDS now throws up the N146 quantity adjust DTC error where it didn't before connecting the tuning box. Assuming this is because the tuning box has taken over control of the fuel quantity adjustment.

I'm off to work in an hour so will drive it then and report any further findings when I finish later this evening.

Cheers,

Dan

contact blacksmoke and get an ECU from them you wont regret it.
I bought passat many moons ago that had a tuning box fitted which gave the same fault.
The turbo went on the car within a few weeks not saying it was related but when I removed the box I was going to fit it tp the wheelie bin but my mate decided he wanted it. He had it on his car for a while said he noticed it was a bit quicker but was greedy on fuel.
I talked him into removing it and fitting a bigger set of nozzles he said that made more of a difference and it got better MPG.

My old fwd avant had been chipped from more-bhp.com they sadly no longer do it hence I said blacksmoke above. but when I compared that car to any 110tdi I had been in before it was like night and day. when I got my quattro and I discovered they were the same ECU first thing I done was invest in a cheap VCDS lead to swap the ECU over. comparing the quattro to the chipped ECU to the standard one it was a different car.. it is a lot more responsive, better on fuel, climbs the hills coming to mine in top gear where as before you would need to drop down. We really noticed the difference in it. in fact my wife says she got a fright the first night she had it out after I changed it over as she wasn't expecting as big a difference in the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andyb5tdi
Mine has a small black box on it from TDI tuning iirc (was on the car when I bought it)

Goes like stink tbf, haven't driven another VW 1.9 TDI to compare, but it is like night and day with my old 1.9 dturbo pug and did 271 miles of mixed driving at the weekend and it returned over 53mpg. Well happy with it :)

but it is like night and day with my old 1.9 dturbo pug and did 271 miles of mixed driving at the weekend and it returned over 53mpg. Well happy with it :)
My old stock 90BHP Passat was like night and day compared to my old 1.9 dturbo pug...
Ive got a 110BHP Passat in the drive at the moment that Im selling for my mate and its done 209k it is stock. it goes well.
but you can notice the difference between that and my A4. My A4 seems a lot more responsive and smoother power delivery.

Awesome :) Have you had it rolling roaded? I'm thinking of getting mine done, purely to see what it's producing and where. As I say it does go well, but feels like a big turbo rather than a VNT as it's quiet sluggish low down and then pulls well after about 3k

Awesome :) Have you had it rolling roaded? I'm thinking of getting mine done, purely to see what it's producing and where. As I say it does go well, but feels like a big turbo rather than a VNT as it's quiet sluggish low down and then pulls well after about 3k
Ive not had it on a rolling road yet. Im planning on doing this but I want to get the bigger nozzles in it and get a decent exhaust on it first.
It would be interesting to see what difference everything has made to it over stock.

For sure :)

What figures are the 1.9 TDI's good for? I've seen over 200bhp from an xud9te lol

as with most engines, silly figures are possible, but the bigger you go the worse it becomes to actually drive.

200hp is doable and produces a nice result.

Need a bigger turbo (EG PD170 turbo) modified/upgraded injector pump with 11mm head and bigger injectors, then the usual bits like a decent exhaust and intercooler.