1993 Audi 80, 2.0

Greavesy

Reaction score
Ok so not as new as most of the projects on going on here but I thought I'd share with you guys.
If you like it, cool! If not, fair play.

This is how it looked when I picked it up!

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

(Pictures taken from for sale ad)

It has a 2.0 16v engine, same as what is in the Corrados and Passats.

Currently the car has the following:

S2 front bumper
Coupe front lights
Weitec shocks and springs
Custom SS exhaust
KnN Panel filter
VDO Gauges

It was fully re-sprayed 3 years ago in its original colour and there is hardly any rust at all.

First job was to spray the grill surround black
Audi_80_001.jpg

Next up was wheels

20120531_191311.jpg

20120531_193902.jpg

I know they won't be everyones cup of tea but . . . . Meh!
I think they suit it spot on :smug:

Current job is brakes

So car looks like this

20120610_110808.jpg

So far I've:

Replaced rear suspension bushes with Powerflex ones - What a C**T of a job!
Replaced drivers side drop link
Replaced drivers side track rod end
Fitted Goodridge braided lines front and rear - W**K fitment
Fitted new rear discs - how to send one back as it wasnt runing true
Fitted new front discs
Refurbished rear calipers with new seals and painted them
Refurbished front S2 calipers with new seals and painted them - Still not fitted
Got new standard rear pads
Got new EBC Yellow stuff pads for the S2 calipers

A picture speaks a thousand words so

new fronts
20120608_083440.jpg

rear rears
20120608_083643.jpg

comparison of original caliper to S2 item
20120608_083817.jpg

Hoping to get it all finished by the end of this week, just new another new rear disc and a new slider bolt for the S2 caliper.

Sor far work includes

Currently the car has the following:

S2 front bumper
Coupe front lights
Weitec shocks and springs
Custom SS exhaust
KnN Panel filter
VDO Gauges
Better bulbs - as the current ones are useless
Aero wipers
Black out the grill
Mullins Alloys, 17x7.5"
Powerflex suspension bushes on the rear
Spax springs
Weitec shocks
S2 calipers on the front with yellow stuff pads
Goodridge braided lines
Crystasl side indicators

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Andy

OH and here's my 80 pulling my mates S4 home after the rear diff bracket sheared.

473053_10151719039600711_608655710_24484960_1207864728_o.jpg

Reactions: ruffrida
Drop in some KR or ABF cams from a Mk2 or Mk3 Golf to give the engine a bit more go.

Reactions: Justin Ferrell
sorry, missed that out, the previous owner has already done that.

Does anyone know if a de-cat would be worthwhile doing on this engine?

A few upto date pictures for you

20120810_074640-1.jpg

20120810_074654-1.jpg

20120810_074710.jpg

I'd really love a set of Team Dynamic's Pro Race 1.2s in black.

Also should be going lower soon as I need new rear shocks so I might aswell go the whole hog and get uprated shocks and springs all round.

Andy

Reactions: ruffrida
Bit of an update <- It's not really a good one.

Had a mate have a good look over the car to asess its health. He's come back with a fair sized list. . . . . . . balls.

All shocks are worn - standard shocks + lowering springs = quickly worn, knocking shocks
NS engine mount FUBR'd
Front top mounts knackered
Sensor in master cylinder needs replacing
Air control valve (above air-box) sticking, causing poor start - Remember I've got KE-jet.
Leaking power steering pump.

SO. .

Once payday arrives it's
A Weitec 60mm Ultra GT suspension kit
A new pair of engine mounts - think it would be best to change both
A new sensor
Pair of new top mounts

Then I need to fit everything, fix the powersteering pump (hopefully wont need replacing) and then air control valve.

Have a pic (if nothing else it should restore some of my enthuisam)
audi_80_italy.jpg

Andy

small update for you all.

Suspension kit should be being delivered this afternoon.
Got new top mounts.
Still waiting for engine mounts and master cylinder sensor.

Will post pictures up later.

Can't wait to be able to drive the car and it not sounds like it's about to fall to bits.

Also on the look out for a set of Pro race 1.2s in 16's.

Andy

Lovely car; big fan of the 80's / 90's Audi's when they had a fascination with aerodynamics (a lot of smoothing going on), and Quattro was born.

Loved the Coupe, the 80 Sport, the S2, RS2; all cars I wish I'd had the money to own back in the day, or would consider if I inherited a lot of cash and could afford hobby cars.

Great work, car looks fundamentally sound so worth spending the cash on her. Like the more mechanical mods (cams etc.) on these cars rather than the plug and play modules of the modern cars now.

If I had one thing I'm less sure about it's the wheels. Initial view (and it may because I'm not used to them), is they look a bit swirly for a predominantly straight edged car, but they may be a grower!

Keep us informed!

Cheers Warren!

I love that fact that it is dead easy to work on and I know what you mean regarding the more mechanical aspects of the car, I can see everything in the engine bay and generally know what each bit does, you look in any car made in the last 10 years and you need a computer to do anything.
The only thing I dont like about my 80 is the rear live axel, its a bit pants but dead simple.

Chassis and bodywork wise the car is in excellent condition with minimal rust and even then its only surface rust and nothing causing concern.

I know what you mean about the alloys, I'm hoping to change them soon. I do like them but want 16's instead, especially once it is a bit lower.

Andy

Always liked OZ Superturismo style wheels on that bodyshape, or the BBS rims with a bit of a dish to the rim that had the look of the 'CH' internals to them like on the 80's touring cars.

Fortunately never worked on a live rear axle, only ever done engine work; sounds like a right PITA, so best of luck!

stunning car i love the 80's i got a 2.6 v6 80 cabriolet i hope to get looking as smart as that.

Superb love to see these I remember when they were new and wanted one. A sales rep I knew had a brand new coupe with the 2.0 16v motor. I drooled over it back then and thought it went like stink. Well done buddy keep it up

Cheers guys!
Not really been loving the car latley. Had a few issues that almost made me give up and get rid. However, I'm not a quitter so I've put some time into it and here's a short update.

-60mm Weitec kit fitted.
Running issues all sorted
New engine mounts fitted
New top mounts fitted
Power steering pump replaced / new fluid
All connections cleaned and a full can of carb cleaner sprayed in.
Headlight surrounds blacked
fog lights and indicators blacked
Front bumper adjusted to fit better

Here's a pic.

20121019_180512.jpg

Will update more laters.

Andy

just a quick question. what paint did you use to do the grill surround i wouldnt mind doin mine like that it looks much better than the chrome. thanks! lee

I've not updated this for ages!

I've now wired in the front fog lights and refurbished the insides of the light units, also fitted new front indicator unit and changed all the speakers for In-phase items.

This month I've mot'd the car, taxed it, fitted a rear spoiler lip, fitted audi 90 interior, fitted new Philips headunit, got a new backbox fitted and fitted my new alloys, here are some pictures.

20130329_115753_zpsd301c4e2.jpg

20130325_173440_zps41f6e804.jpg

20130329_113701_zpsfd050105.jpg

and anyone that says a 90 rear seat wont fit, hasn't tried lol.

20130329_115905_zps551d274b.jpg

20130311_133345_zpsa381c07b.jpg

let me know what you think.

cheers,

Andy

Update time:

Done a bit more work to the 80, still got a long wish list of things to do on it though.

So, went from this:

To this

With the addition of for 6k HIDs and headlight stalk mod.

The bonnet went from this:

via this:

(Got loads of this left so going to put it elsewhere)

and this:

and ended up like this:

Also got some new plates arriving next week, a shorter passenger side wiper (current one is too long) and also removing the door/wing bump strips too.

And, I've still got to refurb my Borbets, polishing the rim and painting the centres body colour.

Cheers,

Andy

Now for sale, PM me if interested. For Sale ad to follow.