19 vs 18" wheels A3 SP 2010 S-line without rubbing

AJ91

Reaction score
Hey, I need to order wheels today and new rims. Been trying to find an answer on what dimensions to go for without spacers and eventually lowering the car 30-40mm as well with springs.

I gathered that 235/35/19 with 19x8 et 45 will rub?

225/35/19 or 215/35/19 with 19x8 or 8,5 with et 45 without spacers and lowered would work?

Thanks a lot

Damn. Maybe I should go for 18" with 225 then..

Hit and miss probably down to the tyre, some brand tyres of the same size come up wider than others, and then there's the rim protector that can add 10mm or so outwards of the wheel vs some tyres that have hardly any.

Reactions: Gazwould
yeah I guess I'm just gonna have to take a gamble in the end. Can't wait much longer as I need to put the summer tyres on before April 15th.

Im considering selling the car soon because I just cant decide and whenever I decide I discover some problems with the tyre I was going for.

Was going to order 225/40/18 with 18x8 et 45 and lower the car later but now I've googled a bit and people even experience rubbing with 18s.. god.

Never had this much of a problem getting new tyres and wheels for a car, haha..

alot of it is down to the offset of the wheel as standard there et 54 ,by putting on et45 its bringing the wheels further out that combined with the tyre make and rim design pushes the tyre out further on some more than others

Yeah I know but I have a hard time finding nice looking rims with et 50+ here in Sweden, most are 43/45 etc- so 45 is what im going to have to go for.

I'll probably regret getting 18s over 19s in the end as well if I do that but im thinking 18 is better for a daily drive in the end

Ok so I finally found a pair of rims I want.

19x8,5 ET 47 = RS5 Black matte EXTRA concave replicas.

Or 19x8,5 ET 45 = RS6 4G Replicas

on stock S-line but I want to go lower to match the looks of the rims in the near future.

is 215/35/19 too much of a stretch for a daily driven car? 225 is another option but im not sure I will be able to lower it then without rubbing.

Last edited:
Iv got 18x8.5 et45 with 225/40/18 on my s-line lowered on coilovers and got no rubbing, even squeezed a 5mm spacer on the rear but that does rub occasionally when cornering hard or over speed bumps

Running 225 im guessing?

Kumho ku31 or ku39 are the tyres im looking at not sure if they are any wider then low budget stuff for rim protection and such.

Never though buying 19"s and lowering could be such a hassle haha.

215 on a 8,5 inch Wheel just seems like its too much of a stretch

Your rims look sick by the way! I Think ill go for the new rs6 Wheels as they are no as common as the rotors. Not seen many 8ps with them actually.

Last edited:
I'm running VMR V701s 19x8.5 ET45 with a 225/35 tyre, no rubbing issues at all and I'm lowered right down to the tyre. I have BC Racing coilovers with 10K springs so they are a bit stiffer than most out there so that does help

Cheers, after seeing a bunch of 18x8,5 ET 45's in the rim thread with 225/40/18 I've decided to go with them as its a safer bet and also looks good when lowered!

wonder if these s5 Wheels on a black/gray x edition coloured A3 would look good.. hm

Attachments

• s5-polish-svarta-800x800.jpg
    s5-polish-svarta-800x800.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 116
Theres also these, all black :wub:

Attachments

• s5 black.jpg
    s5 black.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 132
My car is dark gray/almost black, it shifts a bit depending where you stand haha..

I Went with the 19" Matte black s5 rims with 215/35/19 just to be safe once I lower it.

Cheers for all the help, ill post pics once I get the new Wheels :)

Reactions: GGG_666
So I ordered 215s with the 19x8,5 et 45 and the company said it was a weird order and automatically changed it to 235 now?? What the actual.. Now I need to call them early tomorrow before he ships them off. Is this not a normal thing or?

Can go up to 225 if I must otherwise just go back down to 18"..

Non sportback I take it? I Went up to 225 so I hope that will be enough at least.

Now I just need to figure out how much to lower it from S-Line stock. Are all S-Lines lowered from factory or is there a way to check with the chassi nr or so?

30/30mm Eibachs Pro Kit should be enough to get a more sporty look with 19"s or do I need to go even lower? It says it lowers up to 40mm in the description so not sure why its called 30/30.

Non sportback I take it? I Went up to 225 so I hope that will be enough at least.

Now I just need to figure out how much to lower it from S-Line stock. Are all S-Lines lowered from factory or is there a way to check with the chassi nr or so?

30/30mm Eibachs Pro Kit should be enough to get a more sporty look with 19"s or do I need to go even lower? It says it lowers up to 40mm in the description so not sure why its called 30/30.

Apologies AJ - I meant I have 225 (not 235). Yeah non-sportback. I believe S-Line are lowered approx 25mm compared to a standard factory A3. Talking from experience the Eibach Pro springs will improve the handling slightly but you won't notice much difference in ride-height tbh.

No worries, cheers for the input.

I'll go with the sportlines then for a more safer bet, should drop it just about right :)

Looks great, can't wait to get mine installed!