19 inch wheels and ride comfort?

Ben85

Reaction score
So been looking at new wheels and 19 inch wheels look really nice and fill the arches. My cars a sportback and used to ferry my little man about. Obviously I'd have to lower it so it doesn't resemble a tractor.

How would it ride? Would it still be comfortable or would it bounce around when going over rough roads etc?

I find my 17" wheels hard enough buthis is due to the standard Sline suspension. 19" wheels are very prone to damage from our potholes and rough roads, ask any recovery operators.

Reactions: Ben85 and Gazwould
A veteran Nottingham indie , suggests his suffering 19" wheel customers to drop down to 18", problem solved .

Reactions: S. and Ben85
Looks like 18's then. Still should look nicer than my 17's

I had some 19's on my S3 for a Month and to be honest I didn't really feel it was any different than 18's. It did take me a while to get the correct tyre pressures though. Certainly not bouncy? That is usually down to incorrect coilover setup/adjustment.

Hmm tough one then. I do like the look of 19 inch rotors.

If you are going from a car with 17 inch wheels and standard suspension to one with lowered suspension and 19 inch wheels there will be a big difference in ride quality. Somebody on 18's with lowered suspension going to 19's would probably not notice that much difference.
Ride quality is very subjective and it all depends what you are used to. So some people may find the ride to be harsh and uncomfortable and somebody else would find it just right.
If the roads you drive on a billiard table smooth with no pot holes or speed humps then you may not notice much difference. However that is not the case for most of the UK.
A 17 , 18 or 19 inch rim with the correct size tyres all have the same diameter so "fill" the arches exactly the same.
Eibach lowering springs are quite good at giving a lowered ride but maintaining comfort. 18's are probably a better call for ride quality and cost when it comes to tyres and wheels.

So been looking at new wheels and 19 inch wheels look really nice and fill the arches. My cars a sportback and used to ferry my little man about. Obviously I'd have to lower it so it doesn't resemble a tractor.

How would it ride? Would it still be comfortable or would it bounce around when going over rough roads etc?

You can tweek tyre pressures depending on use; I drop my own 19-inch RS3 tyre pressures several psi and find the ride much better, the wear across the FULL tread much better, and the handling no different. Done the same with 18-inch rims on my TT and A1 - you just need to adjust and monitor and find what's best for you and yours: I carry 1 or 2 light weight humans; you may have 4 x heavy weights with luggage; you just need to 'trim' for your own needs.

If looks are your 'needs' then does it matter?

Thanks guys. I've been having a read up and went out in a couple of friends cars with different sized wheels and I think I've decided on

18's
Eibach 30mm springs
New shocks (will be oem )
Spacers
New (rubber) parts of you get what I mean

So will hopefully find a happy medium and also freshen everything up

35 profile or less and British roads ,
I just don't get it !

I'm with you 100%, and have been many times before. I'm on 19-inch with 30's at the front and 35 rears with the RS3: 18-inch with 40s front and rear with the TT: and 18-inch with 40s (35's are STD) front and rear on the 185bhp A1. And I know what you mean....

But I do play tyre pressures relative to overall vehicle weight (OK, I was an automotive engineer and still am very hands-on) and compensate that a-way.

But Jeeze, you have to eye ball stop outs for pot-holes these days...
29.gif

I'm so stupid , how could I of not seen..

The low profile tyres are for lightning quick reactions to dodge potholes .

Please forgive me :frown:

Reactions: SootySport and 45bvtc
I'm so stupid , how could I of not seen..

The low profile tyres are for lightning quick reactions to dodge potholes .

Please forgive me :frown:

BRILLIANT! A 71-year old in an RS3, TT, or A1 Black Edition needs ALL the "lightning quick reactions" he or she can get , remember...
4221.gif

Reactions: SootySport and Gazwould
cuz after a long day in the car with 19" you sit down in your couch, and you have that feeling in your body like you got beaten down by a gang earlier that day..

Nope, not with my RS3 I don't....

So one the same kind of train of thought is there any difference between shocks for say
A3
A3 sport
A3 s line
RS3?

As I'll be lowering it I don't want to put new shocks on just to blow them out after a few months as they can't handle the change in ride hight.

So one the same kind of train of thought is there any difference between shocks for say
A3
A3 sport
A3 s line
RS3?

As I'll be lowering it I don't want to put new shocks on just to blow them out after a few months as they can't handle the change in ride hight.

OEM, of course... Suspension is a compromise of wheel/tyre along with spring and shock absorber; but nothing is stand alone: and the there's load i.e, number of people, luggage, etc - all to be considered. I have and am content.

Bilstein B4 shockers are good if you want OE ride quality. 30mm drop isn't excessive and OE type shockers will be OK with that.
If you want a car that handles and still has a good ride the Bilsteain B12 kits are good. These come with Eibach 30 mm lowering springs and Bilstein B8 shock absorbers matched to the springs. I have a B12 kit on my car and am very happy with the ride quality.
The ride I would describe as firm but not hard, Bilstein do a great job with these kits to get a good compromise between ride quality and handling.
Get the from Ebay in Germany as the prices are much better than the UK.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilstein-...430849?hash=item568f4dd7c1:g:LaAAAOSwHjNV9~oW

Reactions: 45bvtc and Ben85