19" for my Silver S3

Cheese

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am thinking about some new wheels because I am getting coilovers and a new set of tyres at the end of the month anyway. I would have to dip in to my savings but I would quite like winter and summer wheels.

What do you all think about these BBS:
picture_18392.jpg

Any alternatives my fellow forum members would like to suggest would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Craig

Nom nom :wub:

Yup, liking those. It's hard not to like a bit of BBS as a VAG-fan.

Reactions: A3_Black_Edition
Thanks. The cost is what is putting me off though. I was planning on spending £600 on 4 new tyres. This would be £1500 for the wheels plus another £1000 for the tyres!

I am trying to justify to myself buying them now. I really want to see them on a similar car first though...

Try and get a wheel and tyre deal, even if you have to get lesser tyres (like Toyo's) out the box. Toyos are being fitted by Audi to TT-S as default tyre at the moment so they cant be total shyte.

I've never seen those on an A3, you'll have to get someone with PS to shop them for you. If you asked Red DejaVu really nicely he might do it for you as he's very good with PS.

Only comment i would have is they look great...... but think of the cleaning, are they reasonable to keep clean i've had wheels in the past that looked the dogs but were a nightmare to clean and keep clean, so now i'll always view wheels with keeping them clean in mind :)

Only comment i would have is they look great...... but think of the cleaning, are they reasonable to keep clean i've had wheels in the past that looked the dogs but were a nightmare to clean and keep clean, so now i'll always view wheels with keeping them clean in mind :)

Rotors have to be one of the easiest wheels to clean I've ever owned, but a good wheel sealant does take a lot of strain out of the cleaning job if you can put the effort in to top it up once everyy 3 months or so.

They're gorgeous wheels! I have seen them for sale, but never actually seen them on an A3/S3 before. You can't go far wrong with any BBS wheel TBH. Go for it! I've been pricing up 225/35/19 tyres for my new 19's and have seen Uniroyal Rainsports for £138, Falken FK452's for £110 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric's for £157 a corner, to name a few. There are some good deals to be had at the mo for mid range and premium tyres. :wub: xx

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric's for £157 a corner, to name a few. There are some good deals to be had at the mo for mid range and premium tyres. :wub: xx

I was going to get Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 235/40/18 anyway for my current wheels. When I look to buy these as a package they say the correct tyre size is 235/40/19 and that size seems much more expensive....

I really have no idea which size is best with these wheels or how best to find out? Any advice would be welcomed...

Good point. But they do look so awesome!

You might struggle with rubbing if you go for 235's on the 19" wheels, especially as you're going lower.

235/40/19.

not seen that combo before.

I run 235/35/19's (with 1974mm rolling circumference) after changing from factory 225/40/18 (1943mm RC), but some run 225/35/19's (1952mm RC) when they go up an inch which is closer to the rolling circumference of the 18" OEM's .

I find the extra the 235's slightly comfier on the road.

I was looking at these ones a few weeks ago, think they also come in anthracite which would look good on silver too :wub:

I agree, but it looks like CX-R might be a no go, especially with the car lowered. The BBS CX-R largest offset is ET35, so I think the closest to working for my car would be:

19x8.5 ET35 5x112

I don't think that can work for me as the wheel will stick out too much and I guess that will increase the chance of it rubbing (I am dropping the car 30mm at the front and 25mm at the back). I will not go for a tyre smaller than 225 width. I have this alternative:

BBS CH-R @ £1561.81 for the set (no tyres) - I have concerns they are not geniune though as the BBS site says this model is only available in 20". I am choosing these over 'CH' as they are lighter even though they are more expensive.

Finish: Satin Black
Size: 19x8.5, 19x9, 19x9.5, 19x10.5, 19x11, 19x12
Offset: 32, 40, 25, 48, 51, 20, 35, 56, 45
Bolt Pattern: 5/120, 5/112, 5/130

BBS CH-R 19" Alloy Wheels - Satin Black | Direct Alloys

Anyone know for sure how I can find out the offsets, etc. I can use for my car - will it be in the manual?

You really don't want to go with any lower an offset than ET48 on an 19x8.5J wheel (with 225/35/19 tyres) if your car is lowered. At the moment I am running 18x8J with ET44 (225/40/18) and even these rub every now and again (with the wheel arch screws removed). I had 19x8.5J ET35 BBS CK's on my last car with 235/35/19's, but this set up would not work on the A3/S3, ..rub, rub, RUB! :( xx

Sorry for hijacking the thread but tell me,am i going to have some rubbing issues
with 19's 8.5J ET45 and 225 35 19 tyres?
I'm on KW V3 but currently setup is preety much the same like on H&R springs.
Cheers!

They are a nice wheel and like others have said, you can't really go wrong with BBS. However, for me, these are leaning towards the generic side of things. It's been done before I know, but coloured CH's or CK's would look great against the Silver.

I ran 19" CK's on my S3 down 25mm on H&R's and needed to run a 215/35/19 with the ET44 of the CK's. 225's would work, but you'd need to fine tune the drop to ensure little or no rubbing.

Have a look around though as anthracite CK's in 19" guise can be had brand new for a vastly reduced price than when I bought them. Caused me no end of grief when I was trying to sell them on. Awesome GTI have them at a respectable price. Just my tuppence.

They are a nice wheel and like others have said, you can't really go wrong with BBS. However, for me, these are leaning towards the generic side of things. It's been done before I know, but coloured CH's or CK's would look great against the Silver.

CH-R in Satin Black doesn't count as coloured?

I ran 19" CK's on my S3 down 25mm on H&R's and needed to run a 215/35/19 with the ET44 of the CK's. 225's would work, but you'd need to fine tune the drop to ensure little or no rubbing.

Have a look around though as anthracite CK's in 19" guise can be had brand new for a vastly reduced price than when I bought them. Caused me no end of grief when I was trying to sell them on. Awesome GTI have them at a respectable price. Just my tuppence.

Thanks I will do. I like anthracite, but I was thinking black with thin silver rim would look better, especially as I could get the mirrors wrapped black and a black grille to match...

You really don't want to go with any lower an offset than ET48 on an 19x8.5J wheel (with 225/35/19 tyres) if your car is lowered. At the moment I am running 18x8J with ET44 (225/40/18) and even these rub every now and again (with the wheel arch screws removed). I had 19x8.5J ET35 BBS CK's on my last car with 235/35/19's, but this set up would not work on the A3/S3, ..rub, rub, RUB! :( xx

May be I should stick with 18" then...

May be I should stick with 18" then...

Don't be put off getting yourself some 19's, Cheese. You can get certain BBS in 19x8 ET50 fitment, which you can run on 235/35/19 tyres and these shouldn't rub, even when lowered a little. I know the CH's come in that fitment, but not sure about others. For looks 19's are unbeatable, there's no doubt about it! You only have to look at Rico's beautiful Black Edition CH's to see that, lol! :wub: xx

Can confirm 19's with ET50 and 235/35/19's don't rub. With a 5mm spacer they do :keule: (with no rear screw in)

Was thinking of switching the 5mm spacer for a Forge 3mm, but I'm not sure a 3mm spacer is worth the effort!

Can confirm 19's with ET50 and 235/35/19's don't rub. With a 5mm spacer they do :keule: (with no rear screw in)

Was thinking of switching the 5mm spacer for a Forge 3mm, but I'm not sure a 3mm spacer is worth the effort!

What function does the screw have if it can simple be removed?

What function does the screw have if it can simple be removed?
the screw is the rear bumper fixing , its in the gap between the quarter and the bumper you remove this as it sticks out causing rubbing when lowered or low offset here is a picy of the location of said screw
19052011541.jpg

CH-R in Satin Black doesn't count as coloured?

It does, but I didn't question whether CH-R in Satin Black were coloured or not. CH-R's are a mighty fine wheel, but you will pay more than for CH which will always work.

Again, only my opinion and although I have Black Edition CH's and love them, you lose a lot of the detail of the wheel in dark colours. It's hard to pick out/see how aggressive a design the CH's are in any of my pics as the wheel is so dark. Anthracite is a better colour. Just as well CH-R's come in both eh?

Not really feeling those, CHs or CKs are the better choice, in gunmetal/anthracite/grey ADL against the silver.

I like the CH-R in anthracite. The cheapest I can find them is £1669:
Buy 19 Inch BBS CH-R Anthracite Alloy Wheels | 19 inch Alloys | BBS Alloys

I could get them with Toyos for £2229, which isn't so bad. If I got a decent set of tyres I would still be looking at about £2500.

They are 19x8.5" 5x112 ET48 so I think they should fit OK (from Warren's comments we know ET50 don't rub) but then I also wanted to drop 30mm at the front and 25mm drop at the back.

I was also thinking about MTM Bimoto in anthracitebut it seems these are very heavy so not the best choice, although I think they look good.

I think I maybe talking myself in to it because if I don't do it now I will have to wait until next year as I will have to wear out a whole new set of tyres first!

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I have narrowed it down to two similarly priced options now and thought I would create a poll:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...89-ttrs-19-grey-bbs-ch-r-anthracite-19-a.html

I need to make a decision soon as I want the wheels to arrive before w/c 20th February so they can be fitted at the same time as my uprated clutch (needs to happen soon - it is slipping badly!) and coilovers.