184ps/Quattro A3

PembsA3

Reaction score
STILL waiting to order a diesel Sportback S-Line Quattro... I REALLY want the 184ps but apparently it won't be available in manual :-(( so I'm probably going to go for the 150 manual and chip it... I've heard indirectly from Sytner (Nottingham) that they should be added to the price list/for order end Aug/beginning Sept... Can anyone corroborate this?..

In that case it's likely to be £4000 more expensive.

£1500 for Quattro, £1500 for S-Tronic and about £1000 for the power hike!

At those power levels Quattro is pretty unnecessary and will sap some of the power gain, although nowhere near as much as a Torsen system would. I'd chip the 150 and save £3500.

Has anyone chipped their 8v yet? Really want to, but a little concerned about mechanical/electrical problems.

I probably will when I get bored with the power it has. It'll give chip tuners a chance to refine their maps as well - don't fancy being a guinea pig as an early adopter.

Don't do it. Don't go for the 150. Why? Because this particular guy here stumbled upon your post (and this whole board) by being totally annoyed having ordered one. I registered just to tell you that you really shouldn't go for it. Rant follows:

I received mine (A3 Sportback, quattro, 110kw/150HP, manual, S-Line, more or less all options ticked off) on the 14th of June as my company car - and I would return it, if I could. Everything about the car is great (looks awesome, materials are great, manufacturing is amazing), but I hate driving it. It's a dog. I'm currently averaging 14l/100km, Diesel mind you, - and it's really, really feeling like crap. There's no way to drive it without putting your foot down to the metal (and because I've ordered the car with drive select, I even have a 'kickdown' kind of switch at the end, that won't do a thing unless you're running in eco-mode, further reducing the already crappy performance. Nothing nags me more than that switch that I'm constantly pressing by accident (because.. if I don't hit the pedal hard, the car doesn't even move..), doing absolutely nothing. Except increasing the frustration about the lack of any fun/performance at all.

My previous car was a Golf GTD - that was really fun to drive. But this A3 isn't even in the same league. I'd bet that a Ford Ka or whatever small car you can come up with (VW Polo? Anything from Hyundai even..) is more fun to drive. I _hope_ the 135kw option makes the car acceptable to drive, I really cannot know. But the 110kw variant is a huuuge disappointment, not worth the money.
Driving on the German Autobahn is an exercise in patience and I usually feel like a moving obstruction in a 53.000 EUR car that looks like it should be able to run along, but really cannot. It's promising a lot and can do very little.

It's so bad, I have the feeling it was conceived on paper and never driven as a prototype. It ruined all my respect for the 'quattro' label and a good deal of Audi's reputation on top. I don't gain a thing by ranting here, but please.. Take one out, do a test run and feel for yourself. I ordered it without sitting in that model before. My fault, don't do the same.

When I test drove the 150 (non quattro) it was fine. Guess the quattro makes a big difference, or there's something wrong with your example?

When I test drove the 150 (non quattro) it was fine. Guess the quattro makes a big difference, or there's something wrong with your example?

I haven't tried the non-quattro myself. Before the Golf GTD (2006) I had a rather simple A3 Ambition, 103kw. That one was faster and felt more alive than my current one. Because I ordered a little late I had some downtime between the old leasing contract and the arrival of this car. Got some rentals, Hyundai i30, Scirocco and a 1.4l BMW 1. All of them were cheap/loud/ugly - but actually usable on the Autobahn. So, while I understand that I didn't order something equivalent to a GTD (lighter, more power), I expected something that compares favorably against random low-power/low-cost cars on the street. And in my case it just doesn't.

I just hope the OP will give the ~exact~ model a try before ordering. Maybe the thing feels fine for him - obviously a lot is subjective and 'feeling' here. The point of my posts here is to provide a negative data point (I'm really, really unhappy) to slow him down a bit. After driving the mentioned model he can still order it and call me a freak for all I care.

Last edited:
First of all - we can't currently get a diesel quattro in the UK. Quattro can harm fuel consumption and power at the wheels, but not a huge amount.

14l/100km is 20mpg. You should be getting much better than that, unless you are testing the top speed all the time. I'd get it checked, as it sounds like something is not working as it should.

First of all - we can't currently get a diesel quattro in the UK. Quattro can harm fuel consumption and power at the wheels, but not a huge amount.

But.. that's what the OP asked about, right?
STILL waiting to order a diesel Sportback S-Line Quattro
So my car is (ignoring extras/specific configuration options) the one he's curious about.

14l/100km is 20mpg. You should be getting much better than that, unless you are testing the top speed all the time. I'd get it checked, as it sounds like something is not working as it should.

I've to admit that my trips so far were lengthy and 90% on the Autobahn. "Testing the top speed"? I drive 180-200 where possible, the top speed of this car is close to 220. But that's just not worth waiting for, even 180 is taking a while..

Even here you have plenty of speed limits though, so I'm certainly not going 180 all (or .. most of) the time. I'll continue to monitor the usage for another month or so and will get back to a dealer at that point anyway (waiting for a software update to make Audi connect usable - current batches are already fixed according to the Audi CSR I spoke to, but mine is ~broken~ and I've to wait for another month or two until they make the update available to cars in the wild). But .. these problems are off-topic for this thread, I guess.

So my car is (ignoring extras/specific configuration options) the one he's curious about.

No, the OP is after the 184PS, yours is the 150PS you said

No, the OP is after the 184PS, yours is the 150PS you said

Gah! ;-) English's not my native language, obviously. But this is mixing things. My previous response was just a 'No idea if you get a Diesel in the UK, but the OP wants a Diesel anyway. My comparison applies, the topic here is in fact a Diesel'.

Now, while the OP's thread title includes "184PS" and he really _wants_ the 184PS model, he wrote

so I'm probably going to go for the 150 manual and chip it

=> My exact model

(Yes, he wants to chip it. Giving my experience that's really necessary, as stated above. Cannot comment on the results of chipping and I won't be able to do that with a company car/leasing contract anyway)

Fair enough. Still, sounds like you are driving quite a lot faster than people do in the UK so still not sure it's representative

The OP talked about a quattro 184ps, and a non-quattro 150ps. I doubt we will ever see a 150ps quattro here.

I've got no experience of fuel consumption at those sort of speeds so can't comment on that.

What's wrong with the Audi Connect?

Uhm.. Here? Isn't that threadjacking? In short:

- You need RSAP (to connect data via your mobile)

OR

- You need a SIM card

If you use a SIM card, you cannot use your mobile via HFP anymore. The thing insists on using the SIM for calls.

=> You cannot use a data-only SIM to use Audi connect

=> If you have one of the popular phones out there (iPhone? Most Androids) you're out of luck and cannot use Audi connect _and_ actually do calls, unless you are able to get a second SIM for the same contract.

The manual came (comes? See above, car arrived less than a month ago) with a flyer/information card outlining these limitations and a fat/red announcement that they'd provide a solution 'in mid 2013'. According to the CSR I talked to, new cars (between mine and now) switched to a new software version that already solves this limitation for all cars leaving the factory right now - but existing cars will have to wait for an update to become available - ETA 2-3 month.

Sad, but not a huge deal for me (I .. don't see me using connect a lot just yet, the biggest feature for me is the wifi hotspot to bring other devices online, the rest of connect is .. not for me, I guess).

I've to admit that my trips so far were lengthy and 90% on the Autobahn. "Testing the top speed"? I drive 180-200 where possible, the top speed of this car is close to 220. But that's just not worth waiting for, even 180 is taking a while..

Even here you have plenty of speed limits though, so I'm certainly not going 180 all (or .. most of) the time. I'll continue to monitor the usage for another month or so and will get back to a dealer at that point anyway (waiting for a software update to make Audi connect usable - current batches are already fixed according to the Audi CSR I spoke to, but mine is ~broken~ and I've to wait for another month or two until they make the update available to cars in the wild). But .. these problems are off-topic for this thread, I guess.

oh i wish we had roads that had no speed limit, id get home much faster, top speed for our roads is 70mph / 112kph !!

I have the standard 150 diesel, and as others have said its fine, 0-60 is quick enough! and get v good returns on a tank of fuel. though dont think id get the same doing 120mph!!! lol

id say from what you have said thats the reason for audi giving the opition of the 184 in the Quattro, due to weight and power loss .

The OP talked about a quattro 184ps, and a non-quattro 150ps. I doubt we will ever see a 150ps quattro here.

I've got no experience of fuel consumption at those sort of speeds so can't comment on that.

AH! Thanks a lot. Now that clears things up. Sorry for being slooow.

(One last time: I'm pretty sure WE shouldn't have gotten a 150ps quattro here either.. ;-p)

Uhm.. Here? Isn't that threadjacking? In short:

- You need RSAP (to connect data via your mobile)

OR

- You need a SIM card

If you use a SIM card, you cannot use your mobile via HFP anymore. The thing insists on using the SIM for calls.

=> You cannot use a data-only SIM to use Audi connect

=> If you have one of the popular phones out there (iPhone? Most Androids) you're out of luck and cannot use Audi connect _and_ actually do calls, unless you are able to get a second SIM for the same contract.

The manual came (comes? See above, car arrived less than a month ago) with a flyer/information card outlining these limitations and a fat/red announcement that they'd provide a solution 'in mid 2013'. According to the CSR I talked to, new cars (between mine and now) switched to a new software version that already solves this limitation for all cars leaving the factory right now - but existing cars will have to wait for an update to become available - ETA 2-3 month.

Sad, but not a huge deal for me (I .. don't see me using connect a lot just yet, the biggest feature for me is the wifi hotspot to bring other devices online, the rest of connect is .. not for me, I guess).

Ah OK - this isn't broken, but the iPhone doesn't support RSAP. Androids do. There's a software update to enable different connectivity options but I wouldn't call the system broken in its current state. My car hasn't been built yet anyway, but I don't have an iPhone so shouldn't be a problem for me either way.

AH! Thanks a lot. Now that clears things up. Sorry for being slooow.

Don't worry. Your English is much better than my German.

(One last time: I'm pretty sure WE shouldn't have gotten a 150ps quattro here either.. ;-p)

Maybe not. A lot of people say quattro is not worth it with less than 180ps to 200ps.

STILL waiting to order a diesel Sportback S-Line Quattro... I REALLY want the 184ps but apparently it won't be available in manual :-(( so I'm probably going to go for the 150 manual and chip it... I've heard indirectly from Sytner (Nottingham) that they should be added to the price list/for order end Aug/beginning Sept... Can anyone corroborate this?..

Hi PembsA3 I too am waiting for the release of the 184ps in the Sportback Sline on the manual box. The only information I have seen via my dealer from the Audi official channel and it is a genuine feedback from Audi, is that the 184 PS will be made available in the Summer 2013. The A3 will have it fitted to the 6 speed manual and also the Quattro 6 speed S-Tronic. Note no manual Quattro mentioned. For the A3 Sportback it will be fitted to the 6 speed manual and the 7 speed S-tronic only. So the Quattro is only available on the A3 and restricted to the S-Tronic version.

You have to interpret what Audi refers to as Summer? It is a frustrating wait, I admit, but I certainly would not want to drop to a 150PS. We all ought to get some recognition for all this waiting from Audi.

I cannot vouch for the August/ September release you mention ie ( Synter Nottingham).

I did see elsewhere on this site that somebody also mentioned that their dealer stated order date as August having been to a meeting several months ago in Germany. However my dealer followed this up and spoke to other people he knew who also attended those meetings and there was no mention either officially or otherwise to that effect. It was his opinion that there was substance to it. All hunches perhaps. Lets hope it is mid/end July.

Personally, I do not want to be disappointed with the performance by going with a lower power. The 170 PS Quattro A3 Sportback I currently drive is a great combination and I would not want any less torque. So easy to get carried away with buying a new thing and then regret latter that you did not wait that bit longer to get the right choice.

Hi PembsA3 just noticed a typo error. My Dealer should of course had said that was no substance in the comments rather than the opposite which I wrote . Apologies for that. Let's hope we get some good news soon.

Ah OK - this isn't broken, but the iPhone doesn't support RSAP. Androids do. There's a software update to enable different connectivity options but I wouldn't call the system broken in its current state. My car hasn't been built yet anyway, but I don't have an iPhone so shouldn't be a problem for me either way.

Agreed, it's not broken, it's 'broken' for my use case. Android phones don't support rSAP in general, although some manufacturers add it (and there seems to be a project that sells rSAP support for some selected, rooted HTC/Samsung/LG phones). No option for me. That doesn't even touch the subject of whether rSAP is a good idea or not.. ;-)

There's a software update to enable different connectivity options

There is? As in, you know that one exists? Any details? As I stated before, my CSR said 'available later, ETA in one to two month' and a dealer recently told me 'no update as of yet'. I guess there's no way to look for these updates as a layman (I'm talking 'Hey, I've found an update. Dealer: Install it', not doing the whole thing on my own)?

but I wouldn't call the system broken in its current state.

See first line: I agree. It's just unusable in the combination/way I'd prefer here.

Might be a silly question , but... , does anyone else think it strange they advertise as 184? Why not 180? 190? Or even 185? I know 184 is no more specific than 185 etc, but just seems strange ? :)

Might be a silly question , but... , does anyone else think it strange they advertise as 184? Why not 180? 190? Or even 185? I know 184 is no more specific than 185 etc, but just seems strange ? :)

I .. don't get the question. The value that Audi seems to list everywhere is first and foremost 135kw. 1kw is 1.36ps. 135kw ~> 183.6ps. So .. that's what you get. 180 would be wrong, 190 would (arguably) be even worse. 184ps is 'round to nearest integer' correct.

Audi themselves list it as 135kW or 184hp.

Audi themselves list it as 135kW or 184hp.

Oh ok so it's the kw that's the round figure, it's just usually when talking of engines people talk in horse power! Am not a petrol head so didn't know how it was worked out :)

.... Like making myself sound stupid !!!

1ps isn't exactly 1bhp either. Although you'd be hard pushed to notice the 2% difference.

There is? As in, you know that one exists? Any details? As I stated before, my CSR said 'available later, ETA in one to two month' and a dealer recently told me 'no update as of yet'. I guess there's no way to look for these updates as a layman (I'm talking 'Hey, I've found an update. Dealer: Install it', not doing the whole thing on my own)?

All I know is what's been in the brochure I mean. There is one coming, as you said 'mid 2013'.

Driving the 170BHP 8P Quattro now in S Line guise and S Line suspension and was hanging on and on for the 184BHP 8V as passed on the 150BHP Quattro (It was on DE so if came here next) mainly as thought it was a push as a combination (Did see a Youtube video where the 150BHP went head to head with a 170BHP due to lighter frame so without Quattro can see it is lively still as can vouch for Quattro being a heavy lump) and from comments above seems that was solid thinking as a combination.

Love my present car, there is always a real surge of torque/power when push it and the Quattro gives you great assurance, particuarly in wet conditions. Add in the economy and to me it really is the perfect balance of performance & economy.

I have been Audi last 6 years but really wanted the 184BHP engine and simply gave up waiting! and a Pure White MK7 GTD is now on order which has many of the payable options on A3 as standard. This gave me ability to option DSG + DCC + Winter Pack + Sat Nav.

Little step into the unknown as not sure how much going to miss the Quattro though Quattro is weighty and maybe will get a lighter more agile experience? with XDS providing handling assurance?

Will not miss S Line ride on 8P though! reason and maybe reflex reaction took the DCC. Also love my A3 interior and is the Golf really going to measure up?

But I really value that performance & economy balance so much and the additional BHP is something I could not sacrifice - Add in new lighter frame and in the GTI suit then hopefully GTD is going to continue my present highly satisfying experience.

I really liked the new 8V A3 and if that engine was available when ordering I would not have even looked and very much can see myself back at Audi again. - Will say not a big fan of S3 think they missed on that a little. Would love an RS3 though :)

Have I made a good decision? I will not really know till drive it full time much like gentlemen above commenting on the 150BHP/Quattro he chose. - Will let you all know.

Last edited: