184 tdi oil consumption

ab1702

Reaction score
Hi just wondered if anyone with a 184 tdi suffers from high oil consumption?
I have an A3 8p but the mrs has a Octavia vrs 184 tdi and it absolutely guzzles oil. I reckon since it’s last oil change it’s done 2 - 3000 miles and the warning light has come on to check oil level. There are no visible leaks or smoke from the exhaust.
I’ve been on the briskoda forum and there are a few with the same issue but not any with a solution apart from one guy that stripped his engine and had a hole in the side of a piston.
I’ve not checked the engine code yet but it appears it’s probably CUPA.

Hi just wondered if anyone with a 184 tdi suffers from high oil consumption?
I have an A3 8p but the mrs has a Octavia vrs 184 tdi and it absolutely guzzles oil. I reckon since it’s last oil change it’s done 2 - 3000 miles and the warning light has come on to check oil level. There are no visible leaks or smoke from the exhaust.
I’ve been on the briskoda forum and there are a few with the same issue but not any with a solution apart from one guy that stripped his engine and had a hole in the side of a piston.
I’ve not checked the engine code yet but it appears it’s probably CUPA.
Yes it is basically Volkswagen engine design.. I had to top up about month ago .. and i changed oil in summer last year.
It is basically oil burn .. You defo had experience that you smell oil burn from your car and then gone away .. So that's what it is..
EDIT: Don't be hard on pedal when car is cold ... Speed up when car is warmed up

Last edited:
Mines the 184tdi CUNA
83,000miles and never had to top it up with oil or seen an oil warning light.

Reactions: ab1702