18" tyre options

Stokka

Reaction score
Me again, my car has the 19" wheel option with 255/45R19 tyres. I have a set of 18" rotors for worse weather and mild off-road use but with roads to get there ofc, what tyres have people gone with in an 18" rim, how have they handled and what kind of of grip have you had when things get cold or slippery.
It's a warm sunny day travelling down the A1 and here I am talking about cold haha. I love love the slippy stuff
TIA
Paul

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Mrs run's a set of Michelin Crossclimate on her new A3 with 18" wheels, and have to say once my tyres are shot then a set of crossclimate are going on.

what tyres have people gone with in an 18" rim, how have they handled and what kind of of grip have you had when things get cold or slippery.

I'm in Canada, so not sure what the availability differences may be in the UK or other locale's, but I went with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's on my 18" winter rims this year, and they are a great winter tire on the A6. I also considered Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's, which I would have purchased had they been more readily available online, for a better price where I am located. I am running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the 19" summer rims, having opted for a sport all-season rather than a dedicated summer tire, due to the cool temps in the shoulder seasons here in Saskatchewan. Cheers !

Summer / Winter?

I actually tried to get 17's for my winter wheels, but only the TDI's have small enough front brakes (and even then I'm guessing the BiTDI would also have the big front discs)... Surrey country lanes are brutal on tyres, so 19's are suicide: I've got two sets of identical 18 alloys: Pirelli P Zero's for summer and Dunlop SP Winter Sport V for winter... I've been really impressed with the Winter tyres, even on hard-packed ice / loose powder snow and they're very good on wet/dry winter roads too... that said, I'm always glad to get the summer wheels back on, but that could be said for any summer/winter wheel combo.

On my A4 quattro, I used to have the P Zero's on the summer and Vredestein Wintrac's for winter and I found both of those very good as well - I only changed as I bought the A6 in mid-winter and there was a 2 month wait for the Vredesteins, but Audi recommended the Dunlops and price-matched the online providers on the price of the Dunlops...

Summer / Winter?

I actually tried to get 17's for my winter wheels, but only the TDI's have small enough front brakes (and even then I'm guessing the BiTDI would also have the big front discs)... Surrey country lanes are brutal on tyres, so 19's are suicide: I've got two sets of identical 18 alloys: Pirelli P Zero's for summer and Dunlop SP Winter Sport V for winter... I've been really impressed with the Winter tyres, even on hard-packed ice / loose powder snow and they're very good on wet/dry winter roads too... that said, I'm always glad to get the summer wheels back on, but that could be said for any summer/winter wheel combo.

On my A4 quattro, I used to have the P Zero's on the summer and Vredestein Wintrac's for winter and I found both of those very good as well - I only changed as I bought the A6 in mid-winter and there was a 2 month wait for the Vredesteins, but Audi recommended the Dunlops and price-matched the online providers on the price of the Dunlops...
Awesome info ,thank
Yeh I looked at mine and I will get the 18s on nps. The extra sidewall I will end up with should take a great deal of pressure off the rim for the shocking tracks I will be on at back end of year

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk