18" or 19"

848phantom

Reaction score
So picked up a tdi b8 s-line and came with 19 ttrs wheels. Of course it's a tad bumpy a ride but even with a remap (was originally 143) it feels very sluggish. So the wheels need a refurb as some minor scuffs on them but I'm sort of thinking do I just sell them and try and find some 18's.
Has anyone that has went from 18 - 19 on this car noticed a big drop in low down power???

The rolling radius shouldn't change when you upgraded from 18s to 19s (or the other way). That's the distance from the very centre of the wheel to the edge of the tyre. As long as this stays the same, you shouldn't see any change in gearing.

You do have to consider the increased weight of 19s as well as their possible increased width. So if your new 18s are narrower and lighter, you might feel an improvement in acceleration. Other benefits of smaller wheels would be less tyre noise and a more comfortable drive (as you point out).

Is the car lowered, outside of the factory s line drop?

Reactions: 848phantom
The rolling radius shouldn't change when you upgraded from 18s to 19s (or the other way). That's the distance from the very centre of the wheel to the edge of the tyre. As long as this stays the same, you shouldn't see any change in gearing.

You do have to consider the increased weight of 19s as well as their possible increased width. So if your new 18s are narrower and lighter, you might feel an improvement in acceleration. Other benefits of smaller wheels would be less tyre noise and a more comfortable drive (as you point out).

Is the car lowered, outside of the factory s line drop?
Thanks for the reply,
No just standard drop afaik, my last car was the 05 tdi 140 and it did feel like it had a lot more lift but then it did have 17" wheels. The road noise an comfort is a tad rough on these Irish roads, think then the next move will just be refurb these as dropping to 18 won't effect the gearing.

Cheers

The previous owner had said these came off an a6 so was handy as had the tyre sensors already fitted.
I think the offset is 19×8.5 ET25
Yeah an deep dish in this pic16204688028146436625869374859085

The previous owner had said these came off an a6 so was handy as had the tyre sensors already fitted.
I think the offset is 19×8.5 ET25
Yeah an deep dish in this picView attachment 236636
Nice. They'll look even better after a refurb.

Just had my 19" rotors done. Touched kerb reversing the other day, thankfully the Michellin PS4 lips saved them!

Nice. They'll look even better after a refurb.

Just had my 19" rotors done. Touched kerb reversing the other day, thankfully the Michellin PS4 lips saved them!
I was thinking of getting these all black...did see ones selling invisible curb protectors but not sure how good they are