18" or 19", which is it to be?

a3_dan

Reaction score
Hi there folks,

Just after some advice really, I have a 55plate A3 hatchback, 2TFSI. And at the mo have the standard 17inch Audi wheels, and the tyres are on there way out...

Soooo....The gf is going to hate me for this, but i figured if im spending 400 odd quid on some new tyres, why dont I go the full hog and splash out a couple more hundred and get a nice new set of wheels!!

However I have no clue whether I should stop at the 18s or go for the 19s? Can anybody shed some light if they are sitting on 18 or 19 inchers? I think at the mo I might go for the S4 or RS6 wheels, will these scrub on full lock and also will either size make my car look like its a moon buggy on its standard sport suspension? And also what will the ride quality be reduced to?

Any info would be much appareciated, Cheers in advance,
Dan

19" all the way:) i got new rs6 style 19" with et45. i love them and they look spot on.

Hi Dan

If your going for 19" on your standard suspension the car will look stupid. Mine on standard set up at the moment on 18" and my car doesnt look the best, may even say ridiculous lol :) But that should be sorted this week. I'd say go for 18" and what ever money you have left over put towards some lowering springs.
But 19" do look better than 18" once the car is lowered right. Ride quality on my 18" is fine.
Hope that helps
Ashley

18's look perfect, 19's look chavy.

Last edited:
both look good when lowered..

18s for me though..

Ok 19' are not for every one but how do they look 'chavi'? :think:

From the Urban Dictionary.

Male chavs hang around in gangs spitting alot and trying to start fights with small children or anyone else that they could easily overpower (which really is just small children!). Once they are of driving age they obtain a clapped out old Nova or Metro and then spend a fortune (no one knows where this money comes from, it is one of the many mysteries of the chav) "maxing it up" with big wheels, sound systems and a huge "w****r pipe" exhaust. Chavs can be seen in any copy of Max Power magazine proudly displaying their efforts at automotive design - tossers !!!

:sm4:

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Urban Dictionary.

Male chavs hang around in gangs spitting alot and trying to start fights with small children or anyone else that they could easily overpower (which really is just small children!). Once they are of driving age they obtain a clapped out old Nova or Metro and then spend a fortune (no one knows where this money comes from, it is one of the many mysteries of the chav) "maxing it up" with big wheels, sound systems and a huge "w****r pipe" exhaust. Chavs can be seen in any copy of Max Power magazine proudly displaying their efforts at automotive design - tossers !!!

:sm4:

:lmfao:

Last edited by a moderator:
19" all the way:) i got new rs6 style 19" with et45. i love them and they look spot on.

Hi Luke, Have you any pics please? Have you lowered yours? And also, where did you get your set from?

Cheers

Hi Dan

If your going for 19" on your standard suspension the car will look stupid. Mine on standard set up at the moment on 18" and my car doesnt look the best, may even say ridiculous lol :) But that should be sorted this week. I'd say go for 18" and what ever money you have left over put towards some lowering springs.
But 19" do look better than 18" once the car is lowered right. Ride quality on my 18" is fine.
Hope that helps
Ashley

Cheers for that Ash, Im just in two minds at the moment, really just dont want to have to start playing around with the suspension unless i really have to! hmmm decisions.

Hi Luke, Have you any pics please? Have you lowered yours? And also, where did you get your set from?

Cheers

Cheers for that Ash, Im just in two minds at the moment, really just dont want to have to start playing around with the suspension unless i really have to! hmmm decisions.

No problem mate. Luke car lowered on coilovers if im right. 18" would be best if you didnt want to play with the suspension. Here some photos of my A3 with 18" on standard suspension
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

DSC00737.jpg

Last edited:
if you enjoy your car and want it look nice, coils are great. worth it every penny. check pics in section.ash i hope u put nice coils on yours one day:) go on i know you want to:)

Last edited:
if you enjoy your car and want it look nice, coils are great. worth it every penny. check pics in section.ash i hope u put nice coils on yours one day:) go on i know you want to:)

Lol so do i Luke. At the moment the car will be going on lowering springs in the next few weeks, cant wait then i'll need some spacers :)

Mines on 19's at the minute, on standard suspension. yes it looks stupid but as ash said, ones its lowered it will look better than 18's..

19" rules:) ash w need to meet up one day

19" rules:) ash w need to meet up one day

Lol they do but i cant afford 19" BBS CK :( lol so i'm gonna go for a set of VZ off Phill and get them sprayed in Antracite!
Where abouts are you luke? As i dont mind traveling to meet other members make a day of it. And plus could arrange some thing so there be a few of us.

between taunton/ bridgwater somerset m5

19" look better when lowered but i have just bought a set of alloys and am staying with 18". Ride quality will be better on 18" as you will have a 40mm profile tyre compared to a 35mm on 19". Most of my driving is on country roads with pot holes etc so i need some give in the tyres plus a lot less likely to damage the alloys if/when i hit a pot hole. I also want to stay with 18" as they are lighter then 19" alloys plus bigger alloys need more power to turn them so don`t want to loose on performance.