18 or 19 inch wheels

DenisP

Reaction score
About to order an A3 saloon 1.4 s-line s tronic in Daytona grey
Can't decide whether to go for 18" 10 spoke titanium or 19" wing arm wheels.
I like the 19", but haven't been able to drive a car with them.
On the 18" with sport suspension the ride was fine (currently have 3 series M sport & previously Golf GTI, so used to a firm ride).
Much press about avoiding the 19", but never clear whether that's with s-line or sport suspension or both!
I shall go with standard sport suspension & that's what I tested with the 18's and was fine.
I know one man's firm ride is another's uncomfortable, but your thoughts anyway would be appreciated.

if i remember correctly you can't have the 19" wheel with the sports suspension on the saloon,had 19's on last A3 saloon and it felt fine.

Hi DenisP, I've just ordered the same car, same colour with the 18's. The 19's do look good, but I was a bit worried about firmness of ride too and in the end, I thought the 18's still look good, know the ride is fine and then can spend the money that would have gone towards the 19's for other toys. What other options are you thinking about?

My s3 SB on 19's is fine even in dynamic mode. It's much more pliant than my Renault Sport Megane which felt like it had no suspension the way it handled bumps.

I'm sure I read if you go 19inch mag ride comes as standard?

I'm sure I read if you go 19inch mag ride comes as standard?
Ours was jan 2014 and had no mag ride and March 2015 hasn't come with mag ride either

I upped mine from 18 to 19" (aftermaket) and the dynamics of the car didn't change 1 bit. As mentioned on other threads, I think the "mag ride with 19's" is just Audi way of getting more £ out of you or a way of actually selling mag ride :D.

If you choose/spec it, then that's a personal choice and I can't disagree, but in reality, and imo of 1st hand ownership, you don't NEED mag with 19's.

Reactions: amped2
+1 for not needing mag ride

Ah I got confused! I was reading up on the S3 which comes with mag ride as standard on 19's

I have 19's with mag ride on my S3 hatch and the ride is fine for me in all modes. Comfort is very soft and Dynamic is firm, I just adjust accordingly for how I am driving or who I am driving with :)

See if you can get a test drive in one from a nearby dealership, 2nd hand or even a member on here.

I have mag ride just need the 19s lol although as others have said I'm sure it's fine without given wheel options available on other cars without active dampers.

A future planned upgrade .......

Reactions: Jassyo06
Hi DenisP, I've just ordered the same car, same colour with the 18's. The 19's do look good, but I was a bit worried about firmness of ride too and in the end, I thought the 18's still look good, know the ride is fine and then can spend the money that would have gone towards the 19's for other toys. What other options are you thinking about?

Here they are (you asked!)

A3 saloon S line 1.4 S tronic
6Y - Daytona grey pearl paint
QF - Alcantara/leather
71 - Electric lumbar support
4A3 - Heated front seats
CJ2 - 18 x 8 10 spoke titanium wheels
WB1 - Comfort package
9VS - Bang & Olufsen
PNU - Sat Nav SD card based
QQ4 - Interior light pack
7HE - Extended mono.pur interior finish
6SJ - reversible mat
9JA - non-smoking package
2ZO - deletion of model & technology
VW1 - privacy glass
6XE - door mirrors folding
UH2 - hold assist
7X2 - parking system plus (in combination with comfort package - £250)
7Y1 - side assist
EA9 - 5 year warranty

I know I'll not get most of the value of the options back when I sell, but I intend to keep it for around 5 years (hence the warranty extension), so I take the view I'll get the value (enjoyment) out of them over that period.

What sort of discount did you get? I can only get around 6% in this area (Essex), but through brokers I can get around 10%, however this is through an Audi dealer in the Midlands?

Thanks for the many answers, but it's got side tracked a little with S3's and magnetic ride, I'm only getting a humble 1.4 s-line, so anyone one else got any comments in relation to my query please.
Thanks

Here they are (you asked!)

A3 saloon S line 1.4 S tronic
6Y - Daytona grey pearl paint
QF - Alcantara/leather
71 - Electric lumbar support
4A3 - Heated front seats
CJ2 - 18 x 8 10 spoke titanium wheels
WB1 - Comfort package
9VS - Bang & Olufsen
PNU - Sat Nav SD card based
QQ4 - Interior light pack
7HE - Extended mono.pur interior finish
6SJ - reversible mat
9JA - non-smoking package
2ZO - deletion of model & technology
VW1 - privacy glass
6XE - door mirrors folding
UH2 - hold assist
7X2 - parking system plus (in combination with comfort package - £250)
7Y1 - side assist
EA9 - 5 year warranty

I know I'll not get most of the value of the options back when I sell, but I intend to keep it for around 5 years (hence the warranty extension), so I take the view I'll get the value (enjoyment) out of them over that period.

What sort of discount did you get? I can only get around 6% in this area (Essex), but through brokers I can get around 10%, however this is through an Audi dealer in the Midlands?

Nice spec there, I was similar in the end, at first I wanted to stick pretty tight to a budget, but in the end I thought I may end up keeping this a while, so get a few of the extra's that would just make it that bit more special.

It took a while, but I managed to get my local dealer in Stockport to match drivethedea.coml, which was by far the best discount, around 12.5%. Best I could get out of carwow was 10% which wasn't bad. Best thing to do, so you don't waste your time or theirs is to tell them upfront on phone that you have this offer, will they match. Some will, some won't, but it makes the whole experience so much easier, saving the haggling part.

lf 19" oem alloys,is your target be prepaired to pay £3k from the Audi parts depo,just go for magride/19"s and save yourself a bag of sand.